Sleeping positions after flipping

Stan

DD has started to flip both ways.. Her fav sleeping position was on her back... But since she started rolling left and right, she will continue sleep on her side or on her tummy... do i need to give her a helping hand and change back her sleeping positions? I know some mummies let her babies sleeping on tummy... but is it ok/safe?

diymummy

Hi Stan,

Once your baby's neck is strong enough to lift her head on tummy position, it is normally safe to let them sleep on their tummies. This is also provided she is sleeping on a firm mattress because mattresses that're too soft usually makes it hard for babies to change their position.

Incidences of SIDS is more common with co-sleeping babies, ie babies who sleep on the same bed as their parents, than babies who sleep on their tummies.

I would say, let her be since she is already proficient in flipping both ways. My boy sleeps all over his cot when he learnt how to flip.

meiteoh

I'm with diymummy. Eva too used to sleep on her back but since she started flipping (months back), she'd prefer to go to sleep on her tummy. It's only sometimes that she'll flip onto her back again. I just let her be coz she's more comfy and it's her sleeping preference plus she's old enough (neck muscles are stronger, etc).

Stan

thanks diymummy and meiteoh!
my dd is also sleeping everywhere her cot... and you know baby cot is one standard size.. sometimes after rolling all over she end up at the side and she will hit her head against the side panels... and she will laugh out loud.... sigh...

diymummy

LOL! Yes that happens to my son too.

I went to buy a foam cot bumper for him. $29 from Baby Hyperstore. :)

apollo

ds also! he used to slp on his back.. but ard 3mths ago, he started to slp on his tummy. we were quite uncomfy with him slping on tummy, tried many ways to slip him bk, but he will still flip to his tummy, or cried out loud! no choice, let him slp on his tummy.. haha..

Bluebeari

If you are worried about SIDS, you can consider buying cot bed mattress with holes in them. I know you can buy them at Robinsons.