Sleepy wrap, MIM silk sling, mei tai. what next?

skyunicorn

hi, I have a sleepy wrap and a mei tai and a MIM silk sling.
my son is 3 mths old and so far the only one that worked is the sleepy wrap in a cradle position.
He fell asleep in the mei tai at the shop with his legs tucked in, so I bought it on the spot.

Here are my problems with all 3 of them.
1) sleepy wrap. really great baby slept in it for a long time in cradle position. BUT it's SOOO hot, and you can't easily put it on or off outside. The cloth is so long it will touch the floor and I dont't like that. I found this which seems to be the answer to my problems Close baby carrier which is basically a sleepy wrap without having to wrap ! I saw it yesterday at mothercare paragon for $176 was sooo tempted to buy.

2)mei tai. when I took my son out I saw red marks on his legs as I tucked his legs in, so I was quite concerned that it is uncomfortable for him for long period of time. Also I find it really hard to take him out quick enough when he starts wailing in it to feed him. Very scared he will fall out but have two long straps to contend with.

3) MIM silk sling. I have never tried to bring him out in this because everytime I try to put him in it at home he wails. He hates it, once he tries kicking his legs and can't he starts crying. I dont't understand why he can do cradle in the sleepy wrap but won't do cradle in the sling. The silk material looks really tight and binding to me, maybe that's why he dont't like it? Is the problem with the material or the sling type of carrier?

I wish to get something that can do the following:
1) easy to put on
2) can take the baby out easily and quickly when he is fussy and for breast feeding

So far after lots of researching (i did my research before getting the wrap and mei tai lol still fail) I am thinking of the following.
1) the close baby carrier
2) a mum r us sling, the trimming on one side seems to be useful for people like me who get kan cheong easily. the MIM cotton sateen feels so soft, so I think this one should be the same material. maybe my baby hates the silk version? hehehe
3) a pupsik pouch

what do you guys think?

meiteoh

Personally, if you want something that you can use for a long time without back issues, you can opt for SSC - they are similar to mei tais but have buckles instead and are suitable for back carry (something which you will want to consider when your baby is older and heavier).

But if you don't mind, the pouch is not a bad choice. :)

skyunicorn

you are right, yesterday I finally managed to put him in the sling and went out with him for a short while, and my shoulder hurts all the weight is on one shoulder. However the sling and pouch comes across to me as the fastest to put on. The only other contender is the close baby carrier but I will need to have it and try in real life to know.

I am actually leaning more towards a sling than a pouch because nowadays my son likes to sit up and see the world. The sling is the only one that can do this at this age, he is too young to any hip carries as his neck is still not strong enough.

Anyone who owns the MIM silk and the MIM cotton sateen sling? Is there a difference in comfort and baby happiness in using the different type of materials? Maybe it's just me but the silk one really does not strike me as comfy at all, the material is so thin and abit scratchy. The cotton sateen one I felt in the shop at square2 is soooo soft. My friend got me the silk one so feel abit bad wanting to get another one.

skyunicorn

i know what my baby likes !! he likes to look in front !
I tried the kangaroo position in the sling and he smiled, I did the front facing in the sleepy wrap and he laughed.

in the sling as he can lean left ( i wear the ring on my right) i still need to use my left hand to support his head as it is still not very strong. in the sleepy wrap however i can be truly hands free as the two straps keeps his head in the middle. the ONLY problem with the sleepy wrap as usual is the HEAT !! OMG..

I know the pikkolo does front facing carries, my fav shop at square 2 carries it.

Between a nice new soft sling and a pikkolo, which one do you think I should get?

The sling can do more carries like cradle hold, but the pikkolo has better weight distribution.

I read that the baby bjorn lets him sits on his crotch so I'm not too keen on it.