Smell of EBM changes when warmed

cocraze

Hi all,
I'm not sure whether I was careless during the expressing and storage process, but the frozen EBM that I had stored in the freezer changes smell.

When I first take the frozen pack out, I place it in a cup of cool water to defrost from frozen to chilled temperature. When its melted and fully liquid, I pour into milk bottle. At this stage, I taste and smell the milk, it smells alright, just like the smell of expressed milk before freezing. But after I warm the milk by putting it in a mug of hot water, it smells sours and tastes weird.

Does it mean the milk was already sour to begin with? Cos I recall sometimes I took quite long to express milk. At my best episodes, I could express about 180ml in 30 mins. Sometimes, it took longer. I also don't know whether it was because I mixed milk from two different sessions into one milk storage bag. I did make sure that the milk were chilled to the same temperature in the fridge before I mixed them and immediately poured into milk bag and freeze. However, I did not keep them in ziplock bag immediately as I had to wait until it freezed into shape before I kept them in a huge ziplock bag. The freezer usually only stores ice cream, ice cubes and 1-2 packs of butter. No other raw food during most of the 2 months that it was frozen.

I very heart pain cos I'd not fed the frozen EBM to my girl in the past two months cos she was colicky and family members keep bugging me whether ok for her to drink frozen milk (ask "frozen milk wont cause wind meh", or say "her stomach not feeling well, better give her FM", or say "make FM faster, don't let her cry so long, so much"). Just when she seems better now, the milk seems to have problem...

I can't decide whether to throw all the 10+ packs away at one go (heartpain once and for all) or throw away progressively (i.e. open one pack, defrost and warm, see whether sour then throw away) cos the latter make me heartpain many many times....

I admit Im stubborn cos I only managed to bf for a month, so I REALLY REALLY hoped that she could take more of the EBM that I had saved (many packs are from overnight sessions when I specially woke up to express while she was fed FM by my CL). So maybe my thinking is more irrational in this sense. But I also know that I should be more cautious and avoid feeding her anything questionable. Sigh..What to do????

ps: Ive stopped bf-ing or expressing for over 2 months liao, so girl has been on FM since.

nataliecxy

The water you're warming it may be too hot. You may want to try warming it under warm running water- basically the same temp that you want to warm the milk to. (what is known as "bloodwarm"- about the same temp as blood, slightly warm to the skin- same temp range used for proofing yeast) It take a little longer but the milk doesn't spoil that way. The reason for running water is because the water cools off too fast if frozen milk is sitting in warm, standing water.

nataliecxy

OR you have a very active enzyme mix that is 'digesting' the milk.

-Make sure your pump and container are scrupulously clean each time you pump. Otherwise, you're boosting that enzyme activity which will make it spoil faster. The high fat content in breastmilk makes stuff sort of hard to clean, so rinsing won't do the trick.

-If you refridgerate it, keep it in the back. The back of the top shelf tends to stay coldest in the fridge, The front of the shelves & esp the door are the warmest.

-Freeze it right away, and put it in the coldest freezer you've got. A chest freezer keeps food at a lower temp than a standard freezer...esp. one that gets opened frequently.

-Thaw it in the fridge or in cold water. Cold water is actually the safest/fastest way to thaw stuff. Then bring it to warm temp.

nataliecxy

For me, I take my frozen EBM milk bag from the freezer to mini fridge in my baby's room. Then when i'm back from work, its already in liquid form. The breastmilk cream will rise to the top of the bag. I will mix the layers together, then open the bag and pour the contents into the bottle. After thawing, be sure to use it within 24 hours. When baby want to drink from the bottle, i will heat it up with the pigeon bottle/food warmer @ around 37-40 degrees temperature.

For warming of Breastmilk, it is recommended the usage of body temperature not more than 40degrees celcius. Heat can destroy human milk's enzymes, immune properties, and other valuable components, so the milk requires gentle care before it is served to baby.

In the event if you do not have a bottle/food warmer,
*Defrost milk by holding it under warm running water.
Or, place the container of milk in a bowl of warm water on the kitchen counter. As the water cools, replace it with more warm water until the milk is thawed and warmed to body temperature.