sore nipples, when does it heals?

paull

hi all, my bb is coming 12 days old, and i have sore nipples since day 2..
i have read abt correct latching, bought a bfing pillow, apply purelan, but my sore nipples still doesn't heals..
i badly wanted to continue latching on as i've gave up bfing quite early for my elder daughter due to sore nipples..but this time i'm determine to persist..
is it normal for me to still have sore nipples till now? just wanted to noe whether i'm having poor latching on..

thepinkdot

umm.. practice latching.. get a consultant if u need too...

i had the same problem initially.. (till the extent of bleeding..) practice makes perfect.

paull

bleah..so pain until nw is consider normal?
another qns, when he sucks my left breast, somtimes i can feel his gums biting at my nipple..it's poor latching also?

hw much does a LC cost and hw do they work? as in, they charge hourly? or they just need to come one time to teach us? i'm in confinement nw so prefer house visit..

gumbokins

apply purelan or EBM before and after latching. try to go braless around the house to 'toughen' the nipples. but yes, if they are still sore, then maybe your baby is not latching right. you should not be able to feel his gums, unless he is not suckling.

I can't remember how long my nipples were sore for...

I believe some LCs do house visits..no personal experience though :)

Mummy to Baby V

At hospital, i got the LC to check my latch. Upon reaching home, I got home-visit nurse to check my latch on day 3 and day 5 until milk flow came in. My boy had a tiny mouth, so I'd to help pull his lips open wide and stuff the aerola more inside after latching.

Nipples were sore for the initial days when we were both learning, much better by end of first week.

We're based in KL, so can't recommend our nurse/LC. Home visit should be common, can pay by per visit or buy a package for several visits. If LC is qualified nurse, can also check mummy's stitches and baby's development.

Priya Diva

Hi

I delivered my 2nd baby 3 mths back... I had even more severe cracked and sore nipple [ bleeding until my boy spit out blood milk on his clothes] ..compared to my 1st one.. Some more my left breast nipples get sore more quickly then my other breast..

What i did was i went to see Sister Kang[LC] at Mt Al hospital. Its $64 plus for the visit. I went during my confinement time..No choice..She went thru patiently with my latching technique. Its cheaper if you go to her than they do house visit.

Also in order to heal my nipples i used the purelan cream and air dry. then i used avent nipple shield to let air go in cos i cannot walk topless at home [ gt maid!!] .. that helped alot..

Hope this helps :tlaugh:

Bella404

Sore nipples is the problem when we make breastfeed our baby, it will only gone when you are finish breast feeding :)

Hi paull,

We have really the same situation in you, my baby is 1.5 weeks old, i feel so sick because my nipples don't heal at all, how its stop the pain.
but i never give up on her, any way it will gone when u stop bf.. :)