spore-trained docs more lenient on peers' ethnics

uddermummy

today's article on C1, straits times.

Now then they know... they could have just searched the forums, no?

a good time to air grievances to the press?

cocraze

today's article on C1, straits times.

Now then they know... they could have just searched the forums, no?

a good time to air grievances to the press?
My own thoughts:

Forums are afterall, relatively anonymous and so far, the grouses I have read in various forums(not just this one) is about what i would describe as the lack of professionalism and lack of caring touch/genuine concern of medical workers, which I personally think is somewhat different in some ways from medical ethics which the ST article was about (ST reported that the finding was based on three real-life cases, one of which was the MO who took video clips of female in changing room)

From what Ive seen in the forum on specific complaints so far, I don't see how writing to the press will seek redress for the aggrieved's individual situation. Relevant hospital/authority will probably just ask that we lodge complaint officially with the hospital, who will then investigate. If there are valid reasons for a case of negligence, Im sure the medical council will be called in.

Of course, writing to the press brings about greater public awareness. Otherwise, if you have an account with ST online, then just write your story in the Forum...

uddermummy

lack of ethics would actually include lack of professionalism and lack of care etc. actually i would say that lack of professionalism is a major part of ethics.

we place a lot of trust in the doctors because they are supposed to be professionals who should take into account our best interests, because that's what they promised to do when they took the doctor's oath!!!

being a doctor is really more than just, 'you got cough, here's your meds, thank you very much, next patient please!!!'

as said in spidermen, 'With great power comes great responsibility.'

I guess the press is just one of a few avenues to redress grievances and generate greater awareness. Journalists are professionals who are supposed to uphold the rights of their readers, as well as their sources, but of course there will always be that few black sheep.

April6

Alpha Male
Society has changed. We have learned not to trust the professionals. We have learned our lessons from what has happened to other people.

Singapore trained doctors who are given the place in the our Medical schools and as a result that many good aspiring students had to pursue their medical training overseas, are expected to uphood good characters. It is understood that foreign trained doctors are less lenient to their Singapore trained peers.

We expect a certain level of service from our doctors. We expect everything to be good. Unfortunately there are many uncertainties. Complications can happen. It is important that we discuss what we want with our doctors, but bear in mind that what we want may have risks.

uddermummy

Society has changed. We have learned not to trust the professionals. We have learned our lessons from what has happened to other people.

Singapore trained doctors who are given the place in the our Medical schools and as a result that many good aspiring students had to pursue their medical training overseas, are expected to uphood good characters. It is understood that foreign trained doctors are less lenient to their Singapore trained peers.

We expect a certain level of service from our doctors. We expect everything to be good. Unfortunately there are many uncertainties. Complications can happen. It is important that we discuss what we want with our doctors, but bear in mind that what we want may have risks.
it would be great if the docs always discuss what we want with us. Of course, it is unreasonable to always expect the docs to give us what we want; the docs are after all the experts. And the onus is on the docs to explain to us the risks.

the thing is, we expect a two way communication process with our docs. We are human beings, and would like to know what is happening to us, especially when we fall sick and need their help. We are not a piece of meat on the operating table and shouldn't be treated as such.

on the flip side, sometimes we patients can also be a PITA.

eh, this is not a post advocating for cruxifixion of docs horr. just to highlight an article and how with great power comes great responsibility...

psuki

Agree with uddermummy. Doctors are supposed to know much more about medicine & medical problems than the patient him/herself. Whatever the doc says, patients take it seriously. Its difficult for the layman to judge for himself the appropriateness of what docs say/do and even more difficult to protect against a bad doc. There are certainly blacksheep amongst Sg docs who are motivated by things other than the patients best interest, and judging from what we read in the ST forums recently, it seems they can and have gotten away with it (eg. the father who wrote in to SMC about his son's death and did not get any explanation), well I guess there can be so many excuses a crooked doc can put up in his defence.

The forum article on the MO videotaping in the ladies changing room - sadly perversion is not that uncommon. There are similar complaints, see bloggers comments on the sggynae link

Obstetricians and Gynaecologists in Singapore: Chong Yew Luen Christopher

Advice that ladies, we should know our rights, don't be afraid to speak up and challenge when we feel a doc abuses his power, walk out and change to another gynae. Ultimately, a patient has the right to say no.