Staying with your in-laws

myusha

Before marriage, I told my fil dat I dun mind staying together. But now, after I given birth, I regret Wat I said before...
Babies cry a lot. My baby cries very loudly at times. And there are a few occasion my fil will come over and ask whether Isit time for the baby to drink her milk. When ever the baby cry a lot and a bit too loudly he will jus come over and ask the same question. He give me an impression that he feel irritated by the crying. My bil will bring his 1y/o boy over to ask his mother to look after every week day. I dunno if I'm thinking too much or Wat. But there was once when my baby is crying, he taught the boy a new word "cao si ren" very noisy in Chinese. We are staying in a 3 room flat and I was in the room at that time, I can hear clearly in the room that he is teaching the boy that..
They bought over the corridor many years ago, and the window in my room is always closed. Every evening, when the boy is active. He will run about and many times he run to my room. When my bil maid is busy doing other things, my mil will help to look after the boy. She will bring the boy out of my room as the boy will try to touch almost every thing. She will den close my room door. I noe she doesn't wan the boy to disturb my dd, but hello my room window is closed shut. And we only have our fan on. Do you think the air is good for the baby?
Our room doesn't have enough sunlight shinning in as they bought over the corridor many years ago, and my room is jus next to it. Our room window is block by dat corridor, also they always closed their corridor window. We have to clear that area up for my maid to come next week, so by den I guess my room will be even darker.
My mil did help to take care of my dd. she help me carry up my dd when she is crying while I'm nt inside my room. I don't have much choice but to employ a maid to help take care of my dd when I need to return to work, cos I seriously do not think my mil can help to take care of my dd when I'll be at work. Cos till now she only carry my dd nv help to feed her milk etc. I can't ask my bil maid to help me always as she need to care for the boy.
Ytd night my dd was crying again I told my husband dat maybe dd is crying cos she haven poo in 2 days. It was ard 8-9pm at that time. He went to the living room to ask his brother who is there to fetch the boy home. His mother over heard and say loudly why bb nv poo nv say. Den his father ask to bring down the bb to neighbourhood clinic to check up. I tell my husban. I dont wan to bring the baby out at night and I don't think I shld bring baby to neighbourhood clinic instead of pd. do he went out to get some gripe water for the baby to try first.. I haven taken my dinner at that time. My mil tell me to take my dinner and she will help to look after my bb. I tell her I don't have appetite. But she still wan me to eat. I told her I rly don't have appetite den she walk away unhappy.
I don't like ppl telling me to do dis or do dat. I'm so nt use to their life style. It's so different from mine.

Alisa

well, living with in-laws are like that wan. after all, they are not yr blood kins but since you have not choice but to stay there, have to give and take. its good that your mil willing to look after yr baby and ask u to take dinner.

How old is yr gal? How old are his parents? How old is yr BIL's son?

i am now staying with my in-laws and have been living with them for 5 yrs and the clashes get more when my son is born. Now my son is coming to 9 mths le and still, clashes are there.

Are u able to buy yr own hse and move out? I would always prefer to stay ourselves but now still waiting for our flat in 2014... got to endure till then. Another way is put yr gal in infant care, will have professional to sing, read story to them. i put my son in Infant care since he was 4 mths, the only con is, he got sick easily, other than that, the care takers are good.

as for no poo for 2 days are common. give warm water and massage his tummy will do. Is yr gal on BF or formula?

myusha

well, living with in-laws are like that wan. after all, they are not yr blood kins but since you have not choice but to stay there, have to give and take. its good that your mil willing to look after yr baby and ask u to take dinner.

How old is yr gal? How old are his parents? How old is yr BIL's son?

i am now staying with my in-laws and have been living with them for 5 yrs and the clashes get more when my son is born. Now my son is coming to 9 mths le and still, clashes are there.

Are u able to buy yr own hse and move out? I would always prefer to stay ourselves but now still waiting for our flat in 2014... got to endure till then. Another way is put yr gal in infant care, will have professional to sing, read story to them. i put my son in Infant care since he was 4 mths, the only con is, he got sick easily, other than that, the care takers are good.

as for no poo for 2 days are common. give warm water and massage his tummy will do. Is yr gal on BF or formula?
my gal is ard 1 month old... his parents are ard 60+... bil's son is coming to 2 y/o this september....
thing is i won't be able to buy my own house... even if i can they will oso have to move in with us... the current place i'm staying with is under my husband and mil name...it was previously under both his parents name. but due to some $ issue, his father sell the flat to him and his mother, and he need to own this flat for at least 5 years. after 5 years, i dont think my husband cpf will have enough for him to get a re-sale flat or get a bto... even if it is enough, he need to sell off the current 1, which means when we get a new unit, his parents will oso have to move in with us... so it doesnt make much difference. only difference is that we might be able to stay in a bigger flat compare to a 3-room flat now...

i have check with the infant care, the charges are quite high, ard 1k+ per month. my husband isnt comfortable with putting the baby to infant care, as we dont have any infant care nearby or along our way to work. and babies can get sick easily at those places..

my baby is having fm... i always make the fm a bit diluted, and make sure the milk is warm. if she nv poo poo for too long, she will cycle for very long + crying..

Frenchkitty

Myusha, are you & hubby going to buy your own place ?
otherwise, take heart, staying with in-laws is like that. When I first got married and waiting for our house to be ready I stayed with my in-laws for 2 years until my son is about 1yr+ then we shifted to our own place.
My inlaws also same age as yours - 60+.

sometimes can be very frustrating because it is afterall not our house so we got not much say even though I dislike certain things also I cannot just voice out. If tell hubby too many times, he might be put in tight spot.
Their lifestyle is different from my own family's, so it took alot of tolerance and adjustment on my part.

Some simple examples:
- My family likes to cook and have dinner early - 6.30pm - 7pm. But for my MIL, she will start cooking only when her kids are back because she thinks hot food is better. By that time she finishes, already 7+ to 8pm then can start eating.
- My inlaw's house is always messy and filthy because they dont bother to renovate so all the furnishings etc are old and dingy. I know it's their personal choice to renovate or not but comparing my mum's place which is very clean, makes me cringe to live in dirty house.
- Speaking of old & dirty, even their clothes hangers are rusty and they just dont bother to buy new ones - at first I didnt know then when I hang out my white clothes, kena all the rusty stain marks and makes me heartpain because the rust cannot be washed off.
- My inlaws are old-fashioned type so they dont have aircon in their rooms/entire house. During my confinement period which was may-June, it was the HOTTEST of the year and made me SUPER HOT TEMPERED as well because cannot bathe/ wash hair and keep sweating even at night I stay awake staring at ceiling because SO HOT. I often cried and said I wanna move back to my Mum's place.
- As they are "old-fashioned", so they not used to eating slightly more expensive food, for eg. I love to eat Marks & Spencer jams & their pastries.
When I bought a M&S food items, it's always finished very fast and I have to keep going to buy and replenish. Like one day I can wake up and open the fridge and found out my BIL had finished the last of my jam and I got nothing left to spread my toast. It's not that I'm stingy, I dont mind going all the way to town to buy & pay for them of course, but just very different from my mum's place where such perishables are always available.

anyway just some examples. I'm damn glad we moved out.. Never regret even though now have to spend alot on our utilities/ bills/ groceries but the privacy and liberty is so worth it!!

myusha

Myusha, are you & hubby going to buy your own place ?
otherwise, take heart, staying with in-laws is like that. When I first got married and waiting for our house to be ready I stayed with my in-laws for 2 years until my son is about 1yr+ then we shifted to our own place.
My inlaws also same age as yours - 60+.

sometimes can be very frustrating because it is afterall not our house so we got not much say even though I dislike certain things also I cannot just voice out. If tell hubby too many times, he might be put in tight spot.
Their lifestyle is different from my own family's, so it took alot of tolerance and adjustment on my part.

Some simple examples:
- My family likes to cook and have dinner early - 6.30pm - 7pm. But for my MIL, she will start cooking only when her kids are back because she thinks hot food is better. By that time she finishes, already 7+ to 8pm then can start eating.
- My inlaw's house is always messy and filthy because they dont bother to renovate so all the furnishings etc are old and dingy. I know it's their personal choice to renovate or not but comparing my mum's place which is very clean, makes me cringe to live in dirty house.
- Speaking of old & dirty, even their clothes hangers are rusty and they just dont bother to buy new ones - at first I didnt know then when I hang out my white clothes, kena all the rusty stain marks and makes me heartpain because the rust cannot be washed off.
- My inlaws are old-fashioned type so they dont have aircon in their rooms/entire house. During my confinement period which was may-June, it was the HOTTEST of the year and made me SUPER HOT TEMPERED as well because cannot bathe/ wash hair and keep sweating even at night I stay awake staring at ceiling because SO HOT. I often cried and said I wanna move back to my Mum's place.
- As they are "old-fashioned", so they not used to eating slightly more expensive food, for eg. I love to eat Marks & Spencer jams & their pastries.
When I bought a M&S food items, it's always finished very fast and I have to keep going to buy and replenish. Like one day I can wake up and open the fridge and found out my BIL had finished the last of my jam and I got nothing left to spread my toast. It's not that I'm stingy, I dont mind going all the way to town to buy & pay for them of course, but just very different from my mum's place where such perishables are always available.

anyway just some examples. I'm damn glad we moved out.. Never regret even though now have to spend alot on our utilities/ bills/ groceries but the privacy and liberty is so worth it!!
my husband cannot get another flat now, and have to wait for at least 5 yrs. even after 5 years, he need to sell off the current 1 before getting a new one. and selling the current 1 means, his parents have to move in with us...

i'm nt used to my mil's cooking, prefer my own mother. sometimes i rather skip that meal....
mil room n kitchen is messy... even the fridge they have is so packed. most of the food deep inside shld have expire... she keeps alot of stuff. i wanna buy food or maybe maggi to cook for myself if possible, but i dunno where to keep them...basically living style/pattern is so much different from mine

good for u that u can have a place of your own to stay...
for me, i think it will nv be possible....

Alisa

cannot transfer the name to yr BIL instead? Is yr husband the eldest? if really no choice then have to really endure... and yr PIL are 60s so i think they will not be physically & mentally strong to help u much in taking care of u gal but just help out here and there le. My PIL are only in their 50s but they are also very physically & mentally tired of taking care of my over actived son, even infant care care taker also said my son too active liao...

Since yr gal is on full FM then give her more water. Massage her tummy after every wash up will helps too. If not u may need to change FM.

Well that means u will lives with them very long. Y can't yr mil help take care yr bb gal. Normally own parents just give them $400-$500 will do. And u can call and check on them. Yah, mil like to keep many stuffs. Maybe u can try to talk and chat with them. Communicate with them well will make yr life easier cause u r gg to face them for the next couple of years. As for yr bil's son is oso yr nephew, tell him to soft down as bb is sleeping. Educate him in front of ur bill say, bb cry cause uncomfortable, u r a bb last time cry, I wouldn't say u r noisy.. Sacarstic is the best way to stop yr bil's rubbish..
Think u don't like ppl to tell u wat to do but sumtimes old ppl say us for our own good unless they talk rubbish etc.
Good luck

myusha

cannot transfer the name to yr BIL instead? Is yr husband the eldest? if really no choice then have to really endure... and yr PIL are 60s so i think they will not be physically & mentally strong to help u much in taking care of u gal but just help out here and there le. My PIL are only in their 50s but they are also very physically & mentally tired of taking care of my over actived son, even infant care care taker also said my son too active liao...
my husband is the youngest..haha.. my 2 bil each have their own flat and own family of their own also

Well that means u will lives with them very long. Y can't yr mil help take care yr bb gal. Normally own parents just give them $400-$500 will do. And u can call and check on them. Yah, mil like to keep many stuffs. Maybe u can try to talk and chat with them. Communicate with them well will make yr life easier cause u r gg to face them for the next couple of years. As for yr bil's son is oso yr nephew, tell him to soft down as bb is sleeping. Educate him in front of ur bill say, bb cry cause uncomfortable, u r a bb last time cry, I wouldn't say u r noisy.. Sacarstic is the best way to stop yr bil's rubbish..
Think u don't like ppl to tell u wat to do but sumtimes old ppl say us for our own good unless they talk rubbish etc.
Good luck
is i have to stay with them forever....mil help me carry baby only. all other things i do them myself. she once help me with preparing the baby milk, skali the milk powder spill out... or either she will put too much milk in the bottle etc... if she can help to take care of my bb it will be good, but i dont think that will be possible....
she keep too much stuff, even her own sons told her before to clear some, but its still useless. there was once we are clearing the room, and have a few bags of items that we wanna throw away. end up she inspect the bags, and those items she thinks still can use etc, she take them out and keep in her room instead.
my nephew still too young to sometimes uds wat we are saying... still learning simple words. so cant educate yet...

Alisa

Actually i would prefer them in carrying my son only and the rest i do cuz my mil always have say in everything we do which i don agreed and then got argument lor. if only my in-laws only help in carry, how good would that be...

myusha

Actually i would prefer them in carrying my son only and the rest i do cuz my mil always have say in everything we do which i don agreed and then got argument lor. if only my in-laws only help in carry, how good would that be...
probably she know that so she only help in carrying my bb. and that's why i need to employ a maid to help me look after my bb and some simple household chores...

MrsWang

I'm staying with my inlaws for the confinement period only and really, I prefer my own house. Even after marriage, hubby stay with me at my house because I have my own room whereas he share with his brother.

Cried a lot during confinement because I want my comfort zone back. Don't like others to tell me what to do and have to snatch toilets also. FIL also like yours, keeping asking me if my boy drink milk le ma. Damn super irritating. Like ytd night, I go toilet, when I come home, he see me, ask me, ah boy drink milk le ma? It's not like you are going to help. Ask so much for what. Early morning see my baby, ask again, drink milk le ma. I make milk, he will ask how much, den say make more for him. Zzz I will reply see if he can finish first. At midnight I feed milk and after burping baby, I will carry him for a while first because scared reflux, he will ah boy ah.. Ah boy ah.. Feel like asking him to shut up. Luckily my boy not awake. If not I will ask him to put baby back to sleep himself.

What I can say is just to give and take lor.. Pros and cons.. What to do. Although he very irritating, close one eye.. Keep hide in the room. But good thing is I'm moving back to my house in 2 months time..

myusha

Lucky for you... I have to ctd snatching toilet with them as their flat is the old type only 1 toilet...

Not always the baby cry becos she wants to drink milk.. And he keep repeating dat qns will make me more frustrated...

I can't hide in the room forever... Its machiam like staying in a cell

Is it possible for myself to get a flat?

Last edited:

simon73

Before marriage, I told my fil dat I dun mind staying together. But now, after I given birth, I regret Wat I said before
stay with in law is not easy. better move out before things get worst.
speak from real life experience especially after baby is born

take care

myusha

I wanna move out but how?
Now I really feel like being lock up. Jus now I told hubby I wanna bring baby back home, cos they clearing 1 of the room. Den he reply me why bother to travel up and down. Xxxx it.. I've stuck inside the house for how long already now I wanna bring my baby back home u give me that kind of answer.
I wanna go out myself oso cannot, no 1 to look after baby.. I wanna bring my baby back to my house oso cannot..
His house gg to be super pack soon...
With jus 1 toilet in the whole flat...morning time got his mother, grandmother, bil's maid, bil's son, myself, my daughter and my maid....
Wanna bathe oso have to wait stomach pain oso have to wait..
Wanna bathe for daughter oso difficult. Toilet so many pail..fil sock 1 pail, shirt 1 Pail, pants another pail, underwear another Pail... My husband oso the same each item 1 pail
When there was once husband back from work I tot I can relax a bit...told him to look after baby n I wanna go shower.. When baby is crying he stand there watch tv... Den i have to go carry myself..ask him y he nv carry he say he observing the baby.,. 1 whole day I was the 1 who is feeding the baby... Tell u to help feed later u tell me u tired from work...den I nt tired la? Ask u to wash bottle u put it in the kitchen wait for me to wash... Dis is nt my baby only leh is ours why I'm the one doing all the thing

Last edited:
Whao, so many ppl in the hse. My in law hse also like that but we hv 3 toilets also not enuff. Yours only 1 toilet.. Omg. I totally understand how u feel, helpless and insecurities. If I were u, I will pack my bag and just carry bb thn head home. Y hubby don't help, I guess u hv to seat dwn n talk .. Communicate and chat abt it. U need to rest too and when bb sleep, u sleep too. So whr your maid slp? In yr room?? You on maternity leave?? If can, best is to hv yr own place but due to yr hubby name in this hse, I think as times goes by, her mum name gotta change to yrs.. But still u gotta stay with them unless yr in law can afford to get a new flat..

Alisa

i can feel you... think better go back to yr parents hse. my husband in the begining also wanted his free time when he came home after work and leave the baby with his parents. They are not used to not having their own free time. now, my husband will help to look after my son when i am doing my things or not at home. U will need to talk to yr husband.

When i am in my maternity leave period, my temper is not good too cuz i am home whole day alone looking after my son and still need to do some hse work. i cannot sleep cuz my son timing is not fix and when i was about to fall asleep, he will wake up so i rather surf net. then husband & in-laws always say i got time to sleep, its i don wan to sleep! i had a quarrel with husband and told him to take a day leave and look after son and he will know. The next day, he took leave and help me look after son and i don care about him, i sleep. that 1 day alone, he knew why i cannot sleep during the day! Hee... If can, ask yr husband to help u look after yr baby 1 day.

myusha

My own house room also quite messy gt ard 3-4 computer plus I share room with my brother...at my hubby house, they bought over the corridor place so gg to convert it to maid room. At his house...I feel like myself trap in the room... We only have a queen size bed and a baby bed the room already very cramp le...then ard evening time when bil son active, mil or fil will close my room door, to prevent him from coming in to disturb the baby..I feel myself trapped in the room... Window always shut close...now u all close the door... The air cannot ventilate... I open the door, bil son wanna run in, they close again.. The room is quite small... Ard 4mtr x 4 mtr... I wanna go out sometimes when my hubby at work oso cannot... Cos mil cannot help much.. She only help carry... Feed milk change diaper all can't plus she have to look after her own mother... I have to be inside the small box for 5-6 days every week... Now machiam totally no freedom at all...it's nt possible dat my in laws will get other place to stay cos it's their flat in the very beginning.... Becos of some $ issue den his father sell the flat to his brother den his brother sell to him... Now my hubby have to own this flat for at least 5 years before he can get a new 1... But I see his cpf already quite dry from paying for this old unit le... If go out rent a
Room also expensive...

Last edited:
I think thats the common problem with staying with in laws. Almost anyone who stayed together before will know...but like you said its impossible to move out, so i think the only thing you can do is just to make the best out of the worst. At least u will have a maid to come and help u, maybe when the maid comes over, she can help to clean up abit and the house will not be so messy bah.

Try to think positively to prevent yourself from getting into depression. I know it is difficult, but still u gotta try, for bb's sake and for your own sake. :) Jia you!

myusha

I think thats the common problem with staying with in laws. Almost anyone who stayed together before will know...but like you said its impossible to move out, so i think the only thing you can do is just to make the best out of the worst. At least u will have a maid to come and help u, maybe when the maid comes over, she can help to clean up abit and the house will not be so messy bah.

Try to think positively to prevent yourself from getting into depression. I know it is difficult, but still u gotta try, for bb's sake and for your own sake. :) Jia you!
Only if mil allow the maid to help clean up her stuff... She oso dun allow bil's maid to touch her stuff oso...
These few days I bring my baby back to my own house... I can feel the air much fresher.. And myself much more relax...
Talked to my mother abt the frustration I have, den she tell me to stay at own house better.. She den tell me when I was at the hospital, my fil said something dat hurt her... Dat night I told my hubby abt it. He say he will talk to his father..but I stop him... Wat kind of fil I have... Who nv think b4 he talk....
First he purposely teach bil's son how to say 'very noisy' when my baby is crying.. Den he anyhow talk to my mother... 1 more time any of those happen again, I will bring my baby and stay at my own house permanently.

1sttimemom

Can your own mother take care of your baby?

Staying with in laws is like that.. no choice.. Hopefully you can move to a bigger flat soon.. as 3 bedrooms stay so many ppl really too cramp! Then still have your maid coming next month!

Think now u can only "ren".. I become very good at it already.. hee..