Stopping breast milk supply

ooohax

I am stopping breast feeding due to job commitments and I have been bf-ing exclusively for the past 6 mths, tried to pump lesser and not latch my son so often. However i still have a lot of milk supply. Has any mummies went to gp to get the medication to stop lactation? I called my gp, he said that he can only give prescription.

Justina

Congrats in feeding baby for 6months! Well done! It's definitely not difficult to stop. As a rule of thumb, just pump only when you feel full but to avoid engorgement, you still need to pump / latch on. Try stretching from 3 hours to 4.5hours, then fro 4.5hours to 6hours or so...Continue to stretch until you come to a total stop. I did not take any medicine to stop so i gues you dont need any too.

ooohax

Congrats in feeding baby for 6months! Well done! It's definitely not difficult to stop. As a rule of thumb, just pump only when you feel full but to avoid engorgement, you still need to pump / latch on. Try stretching from 3 hours to 4.5hours, then fro 4.5hours to 6hours or so...Continue to stretch until you come to a total stop. I did not take any medicine to stop so i gues you dont need any too.
Yup, in fact been trying all methods, even using cold cabbage to relieve the engorgement. But nothing seems to affect my supply. I only pump 2-3times a day and latch my son twice a day. Been trying to decrease latching and increase the interval between pumping plus pumping just to feel comfortable.