Stress at Night Caring Baby /Night Nanny?

jannjann

I have a 6 weeks old baby and it's been very stressed and tiring taking care of her especially during night time. She tends to be very cranky from 8pm till 2am (i.e. non-stop screaming and crying). Would like to know how other mummies deal with this. My husband and I are thinking of engaging a night nanny. But I understand most nannies will only care for baby during the daytime though. Any Advise?

lyra

It's normal passing phase although its a pretty long phase. I read abt something call evening fussiness when bb for no reason, will cry n fuss from evening until they fell asleep. Mine started at week 3 n gradually got better until it went away at 5 months. during that time, hubby n i took turns to rock him in his fav position. he will cry if we dont do that. He will fuss from 6pm-midnight or 1am. But when he sleeps, he can sleep well but wakes up 2-3 times for milk n fell back to sleep immediately after feeds.

lydlydlyd

i am experiencing that too with my 3 week old baby. Although been told by everyone, including the PD that this is a passing phase, however, it sure is tiring (and frustrating) for the care giver. my friend had advise me to maybe bring the baby down for an evening walk as it calms her baby during that stage. i shall probably start with that next week when the dreadful confinement is over, though i will be on my own when nanny leaves.

Alisa

hmm... but not sure u believe or not... try not to bring baby out during the night or come back home too late with them cuz babies are very senitives wan... usually my son will be cranky if we went home pass sunset when he was few mths old.

Alisa

6 pm is like sunset le. i usually try to reach home b4 5pm. u can go down around 5pm so that yr baby can get some sunlight too.

Bearygum

Hi Jann, I had the same problem when my baby was 6 week old. She always start to get fussy in the late evening from 7pm onward till she fall sleep . The only thing that we can do is my hubby and myself take turn to carry and soothe her till she fall sleep. Now she is 8 week old, she still make noise at the same timing but we are able to handle her better since we knew what she wants and likes.

At that time, I also had the idea to engage a night time nanny but hubby didn't agree. I did contact one of the nanny who provide this service but she is a foreign maid under work permit so it's illegal to employ her.

Anyway, this is temporary and baby will start to learn to follow our routine if we train them well. Good Luck.

lydlydlyd

Really glad to know that i am not alone in this situation and it WILL get better. Sometimes this happens in morning too, when he's tired but just can't get to sleep and had to be carried (standing up/ walked around the house). And I had thought newborns sleep alot!

jannjann

Really glad to know that i am not alone in this situation and it WILL get better. Sometimes this happens in morning too, when he's tired but just can't get to sleep and had to be carried (standing up/ walked around the house). And I had thought newborns sleep alot!
I have the same thoughts too :) Thought that NB will sleep alot.. Now DD wants to be rock to bed by hubby and myself. But once we put her onto bed, she will cry and will have to carry her again..

jannjann

Didn't bring DD out too often except to my mom's place on weekends. My in-laws said that bringing her out too often will scare her, that's why she always come home crying. Hmm.. Somehow I beg to differ.. :)

venussnow

I'm relieved to learn tt I'm not alone in this. My DD is currently 6 weeks old and she doesn't sleep until 11 plus. She's getting better in the day falling asleep in her cot by herself without me carrying her much as compared to when my cl left 3 weeks ago. But at night, she doesn't like to lie in her cot by herself until she falls asleep. Her sleeping hours are starting to stretch a little longer so hopefully this is only a passing phase.

lydlydlyd

I'm relieved to learn that I'm not alone in this. My dear daughter is currently 6 weeks old and she doesn't sleep until 11 plus. She's getting better in the day falling asleep in her cot by herself without me carrying her much as compared to when my cl left 3 weeks ago. But at night, she doesn't like to lie in her cot by herself until she falls asleep. Her sleeping hours are starting to stretch a little longer so hopefully this is only a passing phase.
at least there's improvements!,:) am wondering how i can survive nxt week when cl leaves this sat!

lydlydlyd

oh ya... seems like alot of mummies will use carrying/rocking/ walking around the house with their babies and just ride out this tough time. my cl kept feeding my baby each times he cries! as often as 45mins apart. sometimes i realised he doesnt even want to drink and will cry even louder! really worried he will be over fed or force fed :( her rationale being baby crying so much coz he's not full coz breastmilk is not filling. also kept commenting that dont know why my baby cries so much. really frustrating to hear all her nonsense comments when baby is already so unsettled.

Bearygum

It's trial and error to check what the baby wants. If baby is well feeded and no wet diaper, meaning that he just want to be soothe. Sometimes they are sleepy but couldn't fall sleep immediately. So they want us to help them.

Ly, take it easy with your cl comments. Don't worry, you can manage after cl left. Sometime it can be very frustrating, just 5ake a deep breath.

creeni

Last time my son also like that. U can try to touch baby tummy, & ear... Is it cold? If cold means baby is tummy pain. May be because of wind or colic. U can try to massage your baby's tummy, back, feet, & hand.

creeni

Most of Baby crying at night is because of colic. Please don't over feed baby. Baby is very easy to take care.

lydlydlyd

Thanks for all the replies! Feeling helpless coz he would cry for hours (even until no sound) and no matter what we do doesn't seems to help soothe him :(

jannjann

Ly, same situation as mine. DD will cry until no sound but still want to 'gek' some noise out. Very heart pain when I hear that.

Creeni - I've lowered the milk intake and will see how it goes.

lydlydlyd

jann, i read that the crying peaks around 6 weeks and gradually stops... hopfully it will be over soon for u.i haven seen the worst, appearantly. any of u uses the cradle (yao lan)?