Stress! My baby will keep food in the mouth

Starbat11

Haiz. My baby has learnt how to keep the food in the mouth and refuses to swallow. What shd i do ? He has been refusing foods so I try to distract him to feed him cos he doesnt want to eat. V stress.

Plus, he doesnt take finger foods too. I would pass him the teething biscuit and he would throw it away and not put into his mouth. I am super stress.

Any suggestions

lis

when ur baby keep the food in the mouth, will he swallow it afta some time..??
if he does swallow it, den it's ok.. just have to b more patient while feeding him.. wen my son was younger, he was liddat too.. likes to keep the food inside the mouth for a long time.. until i gave him water to drink.. den he will slowly swallow it together w the water..

finger foods.. my son dun like finger foods too wen he was young.. he prefer 'older' foods.. wot we eat, he will eat.. he won't eat those baby food kind.. like puree etc.. he prefer more solid foods.. so i had to mash the rice a lil so that he can swallow beta.. or give it together w some soup..

how old is ur son now..? maybe u can try giving him a more solid food instead of those mashed foods.. worth trying.. =)

tinkerball

sigh. My baby has learnt how to keep the food in the mouth and refuses to swallow. What should i do ? He has been refusing foods so I try to distract him to feed him cos he doesnt want to eat. very stress.

Plus, he doesnt take finger foods too. I would pass him the teething biscuit and he would throw it away and not put into his mouth. I am super stress.

Any suggestions
are u feeding him the same thing? try to give foods of different varieties. i was about to open a thread about this also cos my two year old will 'park' all his food at the side of his mouth. so i have to come up with different stuffs everyday. for example, today's lunch, mash potatoes and chicken, dinner fish porridge. tomorrow beef spaghetti, dinner rice with chicken and potato soup. its a hassle to come up with and cook a kid's meal on top of cooking for the adults but its the only way i can make my boy eat. he simply want to try something new and different everyday. but when he was around 1 year he went on a food strike and refused to eat for two solid weeks. i had no choice but to give him fruits, biscuits and crackers.. anything that he likes to eat as long as it fills his tummy. not a wise move. but what else could i do?:nah:

apollo

ds also has the same pro recently. sometimes he dont even want to open his mouth. we tot he is only fussy over food.

today we brought him to his pd den realised he is actually suffering from sore throat. cos he still behaves normal, can play and v active so we were v shocked to know he is actually not feeling well..

annie

yah many toddlers face this problem.. giving water is one of the way to make them swallow the food. as long as they swallow eventually, i think just got to be patient. its a phase.. my girl dosent keep the food in the mouth but she dun open mouth big enough if she dun like the food. she will take a few grains at a time n feeding can take up to 2.5hrs...sigh~

Ting

my fren's 5 yo is doing the same thing too.
can put the food in her mouth for 1 hr!!
lucky for me, pin is a glutton, she will chew n swallow the food.
if not, she spits it out.
i dun let her keep food in her mouth.
i will constantly remidn her to swallow, if not,give her water to aid her in swallowing..
for me, i find tt when she eats too big spoons of rice/food, then she will keep in her mouth for a while.
maybe u try to feed in smaller portions.

tinkerball

my friend's 5 yo is doing the same thing too.
can put the food in her mouth for 1 hr!!
lucky for me, pin is a glutton, she will chew n swallow the food.
if not, she spits it out.
i dont let her keep food in her mouth.
i will constantly remidn her to swallow, if not,give her water to aid her in swallowing..
for me, i find that when she eats too big spoons of rice/food, then she will keep in her mouth for a while.
maybe you try to feed in smaller portions.
quite true. whenever i give bigger serving my boy will keep it on the mouth. so i usually give smaller servings. seems quite pathetic and worse still takes longer time to finish the meal

xue

Wow..I thought I'm the only one facing this prob.. My two yr old son won't eat at all.. He can just store food in the mouth n if u give him water, he spits out the food first before drinking!! I'm really worried he is not gettin enough nutrient.. What should I do? My son just refuse to eat..

Ting

Wow..I thought I'm the only one facing this prob.. My two yr old son won't eat at all.. He can just store food in the mouth n if you give him water, he spits out the food first before drinking!! I'm really worried he is not gettin enough nutrient.. What should I do? My son just refuse to eat..
what r u feeding him now??
how abt his milk intake?

annie

there was a time when my girl totally rejects food too.. for 3 whole weeks! no matter wat i cook she dun eat. dun even open mouth.. or takes only 1-2 mouth then dun wan liao.. was very stressup also.. she lost 600g tat time.. luckily slowly gained back appetite..

sometimes my girl also.. she opens her mouth very very big so i gave her a bit mouthful of food then she will spit out.. so even though she open her mouth sooo big, i have to give her only a bit of food so she will eat properly.. sometimes she also spit out food before drinking water...

xue

what r you feeding him now??
how about his milk intake?
as the food my maid cook is very salty, so up till now i stil give him porridge with 1 meat n veggie.. At times will give him macoroni or rice with soup but he still rejects the food.. Is there any place I can get healthy toddler recipe?

eissacsirhc

I tink the best is still home cooked food.. my 14mth old baby likes soup poured over her rice.. Sometimes i also have alot of stress during meal time its like WW3.. but den i guess juz have to distract, give water and juz b very patient..

Ting

as the food my maid cook is very salty, so up till now i stil give him porridge with 1 meat n veggie.. At times will give him macoroni or rice with soup but he still rejects the food.. Is there any place I can get healthy toddler recipe?
actually your son is 2 yo alr, he shldnt just be taking in porridge, he might feel very sian of the food?
give him more variety n more food with texture.
instead of porridge, give rice with meat n veggies or can give with soup.
u can give sandwiches, pancakes, cereal with fruits, chwee kueh, chee cheong fan, you tiao with soy bean milk for breakfast.
lunch can give rice with soup, macaroni with chicken soup (minced or shredded chicken n veggies), noodles like kway teow n mee sua..n fried rice also.
western food like pasta, chicken chop, pork chop, fish fillet, baked potatoes, mash potatoes, scramble eggs all those.
actually alot of variety to feed him... dun just keep to porridge, giving him food with more texture also encourages him to chew better.