Stress

Jamesbond

Dear mummys

2 weeks old newborn. he seems to have difficulty in sleeping at night.

He usually sleep well during the day but when when it's night time, he start to make weird noise like there's phlegm in the throat and mucus in the nose.
occasionally he would split up milk from his mouth and NOSE and refuse to sleep. Have to coax him by carrying him and walk the whole house for sometimes an hour and he stretches a lot sometimes resulting him in splitting some milk out. at times he will just cry

he still feed well. bowel and urine movement as per normal as well.

It just so stressful when it comes to night. after feeding or anytime in the middle he would seems to be making noises and have difficulty in breathing etc.

Please advise):

paediatric visit is three weeks later. do i need to bring him in? or is it normal?

sjchan

I also face the similar problem on my newborn 1 year ago. I'd asked my pd about this and he say it's normal for a newborn. As long as the baby feed well, grow well, then it's ok. I struggle for 1 months. My baby become better as she grow older, after 1 months + those problems lesser or dissappear. No special advice for you as I did not anything.

ast0212

Sounds normal. At 2 weeks they still have a lot of mucus, after being inside you for 9 months :)

They can be noisy but it's fine.

ast0212

If you are laying baby down in cot or bassinet, try putting a couple of books under the legs of the cot or bassinet, on the head side so it is slightly tilting the bed on an angle... Helps a bit:)

junebug86

Hi,

Have you tried to burp your baby before putting him down? I usually put a small pillow so he does not spit out his milk. The 1st month will be very stressful because we are still new to parenthood and learning about baby's behaviour.

Sometimes it could be that he is full already thus he cannot take in anymore milk at that time. It will get better after one month :)

diza

Newborns are cranky for the first month.. You'll get the hang of it. And remember to burp ur baby even after breast feeding. What I did was after feeding and if he didn't burp, I'll hold him in an upright position for abt 15 to 30 min before putting him on the bed. And I trained my baby to sleep by week 3. Once I switched on the night light, I don talk or play with him. So now he knows, night light means it's time for bed.

Jamesbond

Dear all

My newborn up to date 3 weeks. every day he at least vomit a few times ( not the whole milk) . currently on total breastfeeding.
Went A&E and called pedi all say normal. but every single night he will start getting so cranky and doesn't sleep up till 4am++.

He would always vomit milk at night and refuse to sleep. His usual behaviour is to kek(force) until his face red and start crying.

The only way to sooth him is to carry him and i'm really exhausted):

MummyBeL

Hi,

Its normal as newborn they don't know how to different whats day and night. They will know only when they are 6 to 8 weeks. This is the time to train them. For milk split, I guess try to burp your baby about twice when feeding. I remember my girl when back to see doctor when she was 5 days old as she throw out chunk of milk after feeding. Doc said is colic inside her tummy. Try not to be too stress as it will cause depression. Any doubts just post here and we try to help you. :D

Bearygum

Hi, although it's normal to new born, it can be quite tired and stressful to the parents.

I have same problems for my 5 week old baby, not so much on milk splits but sometime she can be very fussy. She just want to be carried. Today she started at 4pm till now .... doesn't want to sleep. .. i know this will be over but i do feel stress and exhausted ....

Let's "jia you" together.

lydlydlyd

i am also experiencing the same thing. my baby is 3 weeks old. usually, afternoon time will be the most "peaceful" as he will sleep and wake for milk only. from 7pm onwards to about midnight everyday, he will be fussing alot. even the carrying and walking around doesnt really help as he will be wailing away. brought him to the PD and given ridwind but it doesnt seems to stop the symtoms. Was told that this is very normal for newborn and eventually it will stop. However, can't help feeling the stress especially when the confinement nanny is leaving in a week's time.

Bearygum

Hi Ly, i was also super stress when confinement lady is leaving. i almost wanted to ask her to stay for another week to help me. But i told myself that no matter what i need to handle it alone. Now i am in my second month of taking baby alone without helps from parents and in law since they are not in sg and hubby need to work day time. i have to say that sometime i still get frustrated when baby is fussy but no more stress.

My gal is 2 month old now, she still fussy in the evening from 6pm till she fall sleep. All i can do is carry and soothe her till she fall sleep.

Don't stress and keep reminding yourself this is temporary only. :)

lydlydlyd

For me, baby is reaching one mth old in few days' time. Still not too sure how things will be like after that when i will be alone with baby most of the time. It's like having to get to know him from scratch and hopefully set some routines in for him (and myself too). Hubby will only be home in the night but can't put too much stress on him for "night duty" too as he needs to work the next day as well. Wish me luck! :)

lydlydlyd

when your baby doesnt sleep, will he/she lie there alone? my baby will fuss when he's not sleeping or drinking milk... even during daytime... haiz