Stroller vs Baby Carrier

mummythisxmas

Hi Mummies,

Anyone has any comments with regards to stroller vs baby carrier??

My first thought is stroller is really not very convenient.

With car prices so high now, i think strollers are really difficult without having a car. Even taking public transport is troublesome with a stroller!!! Even if i wanna take a cab, where do i place my baby?? I dont think the taxi driver will know how to operate my stroller ... and i wouldn think they will be kind enough either.

A lot of my friends say that they seldom use the stroller these day ... simply bcos their baby refuse to sit in it. Even if they use it, its more to put their shopping items in it. And most of them just chuck the stroller in the storeroom. But it seems like stollers in still on every new parents buying list ... in fact, it might even be top of the list!!!

And it seems really trouble if im going out alone with a stroller. Not all places are baby stroller friendly ... Opening a door or pressing the lift ... going in and out of a lift .. and esp to places where is really really crowded. Its really not easy when you start thinking about it.

So im thinking more of buying a good baby carrier. At least both my hands will be free ... this is especially important when im out alone.

But there are so many baby carriers out there in the market. Which one to get??? Or anyone has a alternative view with regards to strollers??

WinterSun

Hi mymmythisxmas

My husband and I didn't wanna get a stroller when we had our 1st child in 2011. As we don't drive, and we live in a walk up apartment, it's really difficult if we were to bring the stroller out. So we bought a baby carrier instead. Was ok for the 1st few months with the baby bjorn but when our girl starts to grow, it get tiring to carry her around as the burdens on our shoulder. So my aunt bought a stroller for us as a gift. I only use it when i'm out with my mum as my husband don't like to use it.

Was ok when baby was younger as she only sleeps in there and cannot sit up yet but yes when she starts to learn to walk she don't wanna sit in there anymore! Even when we do bring the stroller out, she'll wanna be carried or else wanna walk on her own... end up we put our bags and purchases into the stroller...

As for a baby carrier, it's really important to get a good one so that the weight of the baby is well distributed and not rely only on the shoulder.

I think it really depends on personal choice and lifestyle whichever suits you best as i think stroller is not really a must buy. Even now we don't use the carrier much as as our baby wanna walk on her own and even if carried also by arms not in the carrier...

*tired arms*

mummythisxmas

Hi wintersun,

actually whatever u have mentioned, its exactly what im thinking ... sigh ... really dont wanna spend so much on a stroller and in the end, it become a white elephant.

no offence to anyone ... but i think baby bjorn needs to improve their design of their carrier ... i think the baby is not really comfy being 'hang' ard at the groin area ... i just feel like saying 'ouch' whenever i see a baby in those kind of carrier.

Actually im in the midst of researching on baby carrier. I actually see many carriers that has a waist belt to distribute the weight ... dunno if there is any place where i can try it ... Anyway do u know of any particular brand i should look out for??

cn naz

Hi, i have both carrier and a stroller. I use thr stroller if i am going to the mall. Usually i take cab because my hubby is always working. The stroller maclaren can be opened and closed with one hand. Normally i would ask the cab driver to help with the stroller to be put in the trunk. Some drivers know how to operate the stroller but if he does not know then i would put my bags on the floor, hold my baby in one hand, and another hand to open the stroller. But kinds drivers will ask how to open so they can help. Sometimes got passerby ask if they can help to open lol.

I use manduca carrier as the baby's weight is more distributed unlike bjorn. Had bjorn before and ended up giving it to another mommy. I think you can go to the store and try the manduca but i forgot where. I use the carrier if i am going out for a quick trip like buying food or take a bus. Coz when baby grows older she becomes curious and can't keep still in the carrier.

Hope this helps.

WinterSun

yes i agree that baby bjorn's design needs to be improved. those with waist belt for baby to "sit" in helps with the distribution better. Of coz once baby grows up and becomes heavier it's be taxing on our shoulders and well as back no matter how well distributed the weight are. LOL.

There's quite a few brands with the belt around so you could perhaps try out at Isetan Scotts, Takashimaya. I think there's a shop in Novena (can't remember the name) that carries quite a few brands and different kinds of carriers to try out.

KiBin

i am using a manduca baby carrier. i find that i can put the baby easily into the carrier by myself and not having 2 person to put baby in.. Also, weight distribution is good for this carrier. Have not tried other carriers before so i do not know how well the rest are.

Manudca Singapore website:
Manduca Baby Carrier Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia - Backpack Ergonomic Soft Structured Baby Carrier

look under where to buy in the website to look for their stores.. sometimes if the promoter is around, you can try out the carrier...

Stroller wise, i find that it's really difficult to move around in Singapore unless you have a car. Even using it in MRT is not easy. So best to have both carrier and stroller. When you are in MRT, fold up the stroller... make sure you get those that can fold and unfold with 1 arm (imagine yourself having to carry baby bag, baby and stroller)...

but i find stroller is good for to look where you are pushing him/her as it face outside... baby can see more things..

mummythisxmas

Hi all ...

Went to Motherhood expo over the weekend and i saw a product which i thought is quite good ... Its called a hipseat carrier if im not wrong. The brand is I-angel. I have never seen such a product before. But whatever that i saw gives me the impression that its a good carrier.

I stood there for to see the demo on 2 mummy ... both of them are friends and are using Manducca. They mentioned that their baby is about 11 months and is struggling with their current carrier cos the baby wants to face the front? And this struggling has been going on for the past 1-2 months. It didnt come to my mind that front facing is important. But now it seems to make sense cos at certain time, the baby will start to be cusrious abt surrouning. Manducca cant do front facing??? Any other carriers that can do front facing??

Anyway, for i-angel, essentially there is a seat for the baby to sit on ... and i think the baby really looks comfortable sitting on something. As for the weight dristibution, i think it should be similar to manducca ... it has both the shoulder strap as well as the waist strap.

Oh ... 1 thing which i think is important ... i sweat a lot, and im worried my baby will be the same. I do agree and all carriers will be warm. It might be our body heat OR the carrier has thick material. The manducca looks thick ... but this iangel has a removable front cover which improves ventilation. And mummies has any comments on whether manducca is warm??

But 1 down side for i-angel ... its not suitable for newborn ...

Any knows anything abt I-angel??

mummythisxmas

oh ... thought i should post a picture of how it looks like ...

8284493.jpg

and there is another brand selling the same thing too ... think its call Pognae or something ...

Qookie

I don't own a carrier but i have a stroller.

When my baby was younger, i've always wanted to buy a carrier. Somehow when i wanted to get one, i realised my baby is way too heavy for it already! Haha. She's also very tall (her legs hanging out of the carrier would look a bit weird) and active (she can't be strapped in a carrier for too long).

I'm very happy with my stroller, except the fact that it cannot be opened with 1 hand. For me, i think a stroller works better. I take the MRT mostly and haven't tried taking a cab or bus yet. Going places is pretty convenient pushing a stroller, as most places now have a lifts or escalators.

For mums who already have backache from time to time, i think having a stroller is better than a carrier.

cn naz

Yes the downside of manduca is that the material is a bit thick so baby gets warm easily. So i only use it for a quick trip.

missyqiqi

For me i don't really like to use baby carrier, esp when kids getting bigger, is much more heavier to carry. My girl used to sitting stroller since born, she does have a period of refusing stroller when she was about 15-16months, but we just strap her down and let her fuss, coz when they start walking is very hard to chase her around like mad woman in shopping malls etc.

we do have car, but sometimes when me alone with baby, I will choose places which is nearer to mrt so I can easily push my stroller. U can take the bus with wheelchair logo which they are friendly to light weight stroller, which my sister always used to fetch her kids back from child care.

Is more of individual preferences. U can borrow or buy a 2nd hand baby carrier and see how u feel like first. If u are comfortable with it, then just continue using. Stroller can come later when U feel that ur child is ready for it when they are older.

ast0212

For us we have both a stroller and a baby carrier. We invest more into the baby carrier and bought an Ergo as that goes on our body for longer periods than something we push around...we love the Ergobaby carrier so much!! My 3 year old 14.5kg son still uses it occasionally. My 15 month old daughter hardly ever goes in the stroller. I love the carrier because it's easy to get around plus baby has a feed whenever they want. I've breastfed my kids (and still bf my daughter) in the carrier while shopping, on holiday, at the zoo, all while on the go without having to stop...very convenient! We bought our stroller for $24 (I think you can get similar ones for $30 in Singapore), it's one of those umbrella kinds, small and easy to use, good for zipping around the shops and for the little man to take a nap in...and of course for hanging our bags and shopping on.

Hmm I would walk all the way to the interchange with my baby in stroller (about 15mins walk) and in this weather it's torture . I always end up bringing a spare tee . Haha . For me baby will be more comfortable in a stroller as she usually fall asleep in it . Carriers are pretty hot for the both of us, and she can get really fussy . It's almost impossible to bend over if I drop something or if I have to reach out for something . Now baby is 6 months old, I'm seriously considering the hipseat, maybe it's for nearby places, so I don't have to push stroller all the way .

ourjollycompanion

Been using sarong, sling and carrier.
I sarong my first child till he's one. After that only sarong when he take his nap or bf.
Got myself a carrier for my second child, still using now. No regret. Now, he's 26th months, only in carrier when napping or bf.
Big fans for sarong/sling and carrier but not stroller. But stroller is still needed when expecting long walking journey.

Kimjames

Hi, I have both as well.. He id 5 months now and we have probably used the stroller about 10 times only, whereas the baby carrier we use almost everyday, so the carrier is definitely a great investment. Loved our ergobaby carrier so much that we have 3 different designs now..haha..=)

Mrs Kwa

Hi Mummies, I've a brand new CYBEX first go baby carrier for sale. Suitable for new born up to young toddler. Not used at all as my baby didn't like to be in a carrier. I bought it at the baby fair at $180, am ready to release it at $100. Please email me if interested. Thanks! (French_lilies@yahoo.com)

For information on the CYBEX first go carrier, you can visit their website: first.GO | CYBEX

Attachments

Cheri

Hi mummies,

I have both.When I am going out alone, it is difficult to use stroller...my friend recommend me one Redcastle baby carrier..now i am using it and is really wonderful .I started to use it from 2 months of my bayby...Some people does not like this type heheh....especially my sisiter.I bought it from this web site , you can try it
Vanille Vanille et Chocolat et Chocolat