suggestion for start solid

clare chan

plan to start solid for my close to 6 mth old baby, i plan to buy cereal for her, hw much should i feed her and hw many times a day? thx for sharing

adoreachild

People are starting for solid food from the 5month but yours child is of 6 months. This means you are late. So, you can start it from now and as you are initiating so, start with once per day. After that you can increase it to twice after one or two week. Baby Toys

Last edited:

lyra

6 months is recommended by WHO to begin feeing baby. It isn't too late to start, no worries! Now, I realised, many baby food package r starting to list 6 month instead of 4 month to be in line with the new recommendations. I started my baby on solid at this age too. Gave him apple/ pear/ sweet potato/ potato/ spinach/ broccoli/ sweet corn/ prunes/ nectarine/ carrot/ papaya/ banana purée. For fruits, u can just blend n take out the big pieces n feed. for vege, u need to steam, blend, then feed. I also give baby oats n brown rice. Banana is easy, just scrap with spoon n feed. Pumpkin no need to blend, just steam to soft n then mash n feed.

Start with small amount. Once a day, anytime is ok. If u want to wean her off milk early, feed her before milk feed so she eat more ( n thus drink less milk). If u dun want to, feed her after milk feed. I feed my baby after milk feed as I'm breastfeeding n I want to let him have more of the precious mummy's milk. When she first eat, she won't eat a lot. You'll be happy if she take a few spoonfuls. Slowly increase the spoonfuls when baby's ready for more solids. I only begin to give 2 meals when he's 7 month n 3 meals when he's 8 months but not big meals, small amounts.

Natashasingh

U can start with Nestlé cerlac some are for 1stage...or can start with banana purée,apple purée as these are very easy to start with..try to give 1-2spoon in starting..after that u can increase it... :)

Last edited:

clare chan

6 months is recommended by WHO to begin feeing baby. It isn't too late to start, no worries! Now, I realised, many baby food package r starting to list 6 month instead of 4 month to be in line with the new recommendations. I started my baby on solid at this age too. Gave him apple/ pear/ sweet potato/ potato/ spinach/ broccoli/ sweet corn/ prunes/ nectarine/ carrot/ papaya/ banana purée. For fruits, u can just blend n take out the big pieces n feed. for vege, u need to steam, blend, then feed. I also give baby oats n brown rice. Banana is easy, just scrap with spoon n feed. Pumpkin no need to blend, just steam to soft n then mash n feed.

Start with small amount. Once a day, anytime is ok. If u want to wean her off milk early, feed her before milk feed so she eat more ( n thus drink less milk). If u dun want to, feed her after milk feed. I feed my baby after milk feed as I'm breastfeeding n I want to let him have more of the precious mummy's milk. When she first eat, she won't eat a lot. You'll be happy if she take a few spoonfuls. Slowly increase the spoonfuls when baby's ready for more solids. I only begin to give 2 meals when he's 7 month n 3 meals when he's 8 months but not big meals, small amounts.
hi lyra,

Family doctor advice to start solid when she is close to 6 mths old, thats y im starting late, bsides im breastfeeding too, wants her to get as much breast milk as possible. that's some questions to ask, if i intent to make pumpkin puree, i sure buy e whole small pumpkin right, i cant be steaming the whole pumpkin as she cant finish them, so if i cut small portion and steam, then can i keep e rest in e fridge and for use other day?

then if i buy those ready made puree which comes in bottle, can i scoop some and e leftover keep for next feed? i have a 4 yrs old daughter, but i totally have no idea how i go through e starting solid process for her, sign, aging perhaps.thx for sharing!

lyra

Hi Clare chan, haha, not aging but perhaps you forgot since the last time you started baby on solids is 4 years ago!

For pumpkin, I bought a slice from supermarket, those which had plastic wrapped around it and weighted. Cut a slice and wrapped back the pumpkin and store in fridge. The pumpkin spoils very fast. I bought organic pumpkin and it cannot be left for more than 1 week. It will become soggy and colour will change. So I let baby eat pumpkin for 3 days and if there's leftover, I'll cook it for adults. Don't let baby eat too much of the red/orange colour food for too many days as baby will have too much carotene in his body and his skin will appear yellowish. That happened to my baby so I don't buy pumpkin and carrot all the time. After the pumpkin is eaten, I switch to non reddish food like broccoli and asparagus and potato for the rest of the week.

For puree, the instruction on the bottle is that once opened, it must be consumed within 48 hours and leftover must be stored in fridge, so if you are starting baby on solids, its quite a waste to buy a big bottle of the puree. Buy small bottle. I kept the bottle of left over for 3 days max and try to let baby finish asap. It is convenient if you are bringing baby out. I keep the puree in cooler bag with ice pack and bring it out with me the whole day. Scoop up some to warm in a baby feeding bowl. You can bring your own hot water or get from cafe or restaurant if you are dining there. The rest can be stored in the cooler bag until you reach home.

At first, I put in a bit of my milk so that baby can taste the familiar taste and is more willing to eat. Now I dun add my milk anymore. Hope this helps :)

hi lyra,

Family doctor advice to start solid when she is close to 6 mths old, thats y im starting late, bsides im breastfeeding too, wants her to get as much breast milk as possible. that's some questions to ask, if i intent to make pumpkin puree, i sure buy e whole small pumpkin right, i cant be steaming the whole pumpkin as she cant finish them, so if i cut small portion and steam, then can i keep e rest in e fridge and for use other day?

then if i buy those ready made puree which comes in bottle, can i scoop some and e leftover keep for next feed? i have a 4 yrs old daughter, but i totally have no idea how i go through e starting solid process for her, sign, aging perhaps.thx for sharing!

clare chan

Hi Clare chan, haha, not aging but perhaps you forgot since the last time you started baby on solids is 4 years ago!

For pumpkin, I bought a slice from supermarket, those which had plastic wrapped around it and weighted. Cut a slice and wrapped back the pumpkin and store in fridge. The pumpkin spoils very fast. I bought organic pumpkin and it cannot be left for more than 1 week. It will become soggy and colour will change. So I let baby eat pumpkin for 3 days and if there's leftover, I'll cook it for adults. Don't let baby eat too much of the red/orange colour food for too many days as baby will have too much carotene in his body and his skin will appear yellowish. That happened to my baby so I don't buy pumpkin and carrot all the time. After the pumpkin is eaten, I switch to non reddish food like broccoli and asparagus and potato for the rest of the week.

For puree, the instruction on the bottle is that once opened, it must be consumed within 48 hours and leftover must be stored in fridge, so if you are starting baby on solids, its quite a waste to buy a big bottle of the puree. Buy small bottle. I kept the bottle of left over for 3 days max and try to let baby finish asap. It is convenient if you are bringing baby out. I keep the puree in cooler bag with ice pack and bring it out with me the whole day. Scoop up some to warm in a baby feeding bowl. You can bring your own hot water or get from cafe or restaurant if you are dining there. The rest can be stored in the cooler bag until you reach home.

At first, I put in a bit of my milk so that baby can taste the familiar taste and is more willing to eat. Now I dun add my milk anymore. Hope this helps :)
hi lyra,

The info really helps much, thx for sharing. 1 last question, u meantion about broccoli and asparagus, u steam e veggie first then u blend it? then just feed bb like that? no nid to add milk or anythg else?

lyra

Yup, and whether u want to add milk or not is up to u. Remember to remove large chucks before feeding. Pea size chucks can choke baby. U can mix diff food together too n feed baby.

hi lyra,

The info really helps much, thx for sharing. 1 last question, u meantion about broccoli and asparagus, u steam e veggie first then u blend it? then just feed bb like that? no nid to add milk or anythg else?

Hi....I started introducing semi solid to my boy when he was 4.5 mths....started him on cerelac n was brought to my attention that it contains sugar....I changed my cereal to Healthy Times organic cereals aft that. I started him on porridge when he turns 6 mths.

My boy is now 8 mths + n so far I've only given him pumpkin, sweet potato, carrots, peas, spinach n fish that I add into his brown rice porridge.

For fruits, I fed him apple, pear, prunes, apricot n papaya.

Apart fm fish, I hv not tried pork or chicken yet. Wanna try minced pork next wk :)

barberwyatt

I suggest you to start with little solid food of three spoonful with breastfeeding. Even you can use your finger to give food to your baby, if your baby is not eating food with the spoon.

leesc

Hi....I started introducing semi solid to my boy when he was 4.5 mths....started him on cerelac n was brought to my attention that it contains sugar....I changed my cereal to Healthy Times organic cereals aft that. I started him on porridge when he turns 6 mths.

My boy is now 8 mths + n so far I've only given him pumpkin, sweet potato, carrots, peas, spinach n fish that I add into his brown rice porridge.

For fruits, I fed him apple, pear, prunes, apricot n papaya.

Apart fm fish, I hv not tried pork or chicken yet. Wanna try minced pork next wk :)
Hi there, when u first started introduce bb rice cereal, how often did u fed him? I started introduce my girl when she is 5mths but I'm not feeding her everyday. just only twice a week in the morning.

I heard fm dr sears that avocado is the best first fruit to intro to bb. Can I give her now?