Tactics maid use - What should employers do?

pipilili

My Indon maid is not allowed to keep any penny on her, and this was communicated to her on her first day.
One fine day I was on medical leave and resting at home. (My maid and toddler go over to my mom's pl every day)
On the same day when I reached my mom's pl, I saw my maid pushing my toddler to the park, I followed them from far.
Instead of stopping by the park to see ppl jog and exercise, I saw her pushing the stroller further towards the HDB blocks.
I followed her from the other side of the park, worried where she will bring my toddler. In my mind, I am thinking if she is meeting her bf or etc.
Then, I saw her making a public phone call. I rushed to her, caught her red handed.
I: why do you have money to make phone call?
maid: My friend gave me.
I: Why did your friend give you money?
maid: important I don't steal your money.
I: You didn't answer my question, why did your friend give you money?
maid: my friend ask me to call her.
I: Why do you need to make public call from public phone which is so far away from por por house?
maid: No other phone nearby. (this is a lie)
I: why can't you call from por por house.
maid: *quiet*
I: *burst into anger* I want to know who is the friend who gave you the money. I want you to show me who she is. And you are not allowed to bring Y to this place again b/c there are so many mosquitoes around here.(no wonder Y got so many mosquitoes bites)

I am actually quite worried she is stealing things from my house and leaving the loot somewhere and calling up her maid friend to collect and pawn!
Parents, sometimes it is worth spot checking them, even if you think they are the best maid you ever had.(esp those with young kids)

pipilili:833843 said:
My Indon maid is not allowed to keep any penny on her, and this was communicated to her on her first day.
One fine day I was on medical leave and resting at home. (My maid and toddler go over to my mom's pl every day)
On the same day when I reached my mom's pl, I saw my maid pushing my toddler to the park, I followed them from far.
Instead of stopping by the park to see ppl jog and exercise, I saw her pushing the stroller further towards the HDB blocks.
I followed her from the other side of the park, worried where she will bring my toddler. In my mind, I am thinking if she is meeting her bf or etc.
Then, I saw her making a public phone call. I rushed to her, caught her red handed.
I: why do you have money to make phone call?
maid: My friend gave me.
I: Why did your friend give you money?
maid: important I don't steal your money.
I: You didn't answer my question, why did your friend give you money?
maid: my friend ask me to call her.
I: Why do you need to make public call from public phone which is so far away from por por house?
maid: No other phone nearby. (this is a lie)
I: why can't you call from por por house.
maid: *quiet*
I: *burst into anger* I want to know who is the friend who gave you the money. I want you to show me who she is. And you are not allowed to bring Y to this place again b/c there are so many mosquitoes around here.(no wonder Y got so many mosquitoes bites)

I am actually quite worried she is stealing things from my house and leaving the loot somewhere and calling up her maid friend to collect and pawn!
Parents, sometimes it is worth spot checking them, even if you think they are the best maid you ever had.(esp those with young kids)
Hi pipilili, I understand your anger but its best to try to talk it out nicely with your maid, especially so becuz she is taking care of your child. Sometimes pushing them too hard, you will never know what she might do to your kid. I believe there are house rules laid down but to be fair, she is here to work for you, not sell herself to you as a salve, not allowing her a single penny, is what might have made her get money from outside or steal(better not accuse her until u find poof and send her off immediately).. she has a monthly salary isnt it? Perhaps you could give her $10 to keep for herself? I mean you are also working, she is also working. Imagine yourself in her shoe, far away in a foreign country, no friends no family... I think u need to sit and talk with her and if you really cant trust her, its best to change a maid becuz the safety of your child is at stake. Constantly suspecting and controlling your maid might drive her angry or crazy and do things that is out of norm.

As long it's not calling boyfriend, I think it's ok to call her friends when she finish her chores at night.
Probably allow a 10-15min call or can let her call home.

Imagine yourself without friends to talk to, you also will go crazy.

But need her to be honest.
As long it's bf, just send back cos they can't focus on the job.

But still have to be firm... Otherwise take it for granted & step beyond boundaries...

pipilili

Thank god my terrorist maid went back a few months back. I m a free thinker who prays. My parents are buddhist, my in laws are christians. So I pray to both gods since I havent made up my mind which god. (This is a little out of point).
Anyway I think praying helps cos I think god did punish my terrorist maid in the end w a few unfortunate incidents.
Incident 1: luggage was forever abv 40 kg no matter how we packed n threw away the stuff the nigh5 before she flew off. But in the airport, its only 18kg?!?!
Incident 2: I brought her to remit money back the day before she flew off n the xchg rate was bad (as indon going thru election). 1 month after she returned, remit company called me n asked me if my maid rec'd her money?!?! ( my maid has my sg hp # but I dun have hers so there is no way 8 can chk w the terrorist maid)
I like the saying: 人在做,天在看。
It's so true!!!

My new indon maid is young -23yo. Currently v automatic doing all hsewk at hm n even at my mom pl w/o anyone asking. (Her own free will as she says she is bored at ah ma house) I decided to give her a small bonus after 6 mths to tell her I appreciate her gesture.

The only problem is my toddler is still not used to her. Feedback from parents was she is cleaner n more automatic than my terrorist maid. I just hope she maintains her standard though I know ppl chg after they are familiar with you and the environment. (But prayers may help)

:D

wendy79

Hey u are so lucky to get a good one this time.. hope she remains just as good .. i pray hard for u too.. I had 2 bad experiences with indonesian maid, 1st one, knows what to do , systematic, but talk back to my mum.
2nd one, lazy, cut slacks , sulky face, got bad body odours.. never mind, but worst part is stole from my sis in law ( i left her with my in laws for a week when i went for holidays with my mum and sis) and my dear SIL din realise until 2 months later. she purposely do sloppish work, spoil my rice cooker on purpose (that another story).. and make me angry, scolded (actually i din, i am just loud) her, still can ask me "are u angry with me?"
then 2012 dec 30th night, told me she wants to go back to agency.
Now i got a myanmar one, came in oct last year. she is quiet, but too quiet until she nvr open her mouth to ask questions, i find her lazy too..
just today during lunch, my dad, out of good will, asked her : hey u only eat rice and some pickled vegetables? not enough la, y din u ask ah ma if there;s egg or other vegetables? something like that.. guess what.. she started to cry. my dad got a big shocked..

Sorry, to tag on your post, but just to share with u my experience and i really eny u to get a good one