Teeth brushing of an 18 month old kid?

Nathaniel Mummy

Hi there,

My son is coming to 18 months old and he has a total of 10 teeth (so specific haha)
Anyway my question is, how can I brush his teeth when he kept resisting, widgeting, struggling and pushing my hands everytime I attempt to??
I usually resort to cleaning his mouth by using my fingers (clean ofcourse) to swipe his tongue, inside the mouth and wipe his front teeth...And I'll definitely get bitten!
I've tried brushing teeth in front of him (which he was really fascinated), let him hold his toothbrush, sing Barney song the part where the characters was brushing their teeth which result to him dancing and NOT brushing the teeth!) :wong16:

I dunno what can make him atleast let me brush his teeth?! Any ideas mummies/ daddies??? Thanks!

ast0212

Sorry not much advice as I went through the same thing!! It did get better over the months to the point my son liked brushing his teeth and allowed us to do it too, then it changed 2 Weeks ago and now he refuses to let us brush his teeth. Not teething as all his teeth are out including molars. He is 26months now.

I guess keep trying and they'll eventually come around. Be consistent :)

Nathaniel Mummy

The thing is when I read articles on kids' dental hygiene n the "experts" kept saying you must brush their teeth and see the dentist once their teeth are out coz if not their teeth will slowly kinda deteriorate because of the sugars in their milk and I become paranoid!!
My son is still on bottle feed and Im trying to wean him off but in the meantime I need to clean his teeth so that there wont be any accumulated bacteria in his mouth - or atleast thats my theory!hahaha
But I think you're right that it will eventually will come around and be consistent... I have to stop getting frustrated abt this, Im being silly! hehe

ast0212

Yeah sometimes those experts can really make parents worry! I think going to dentist when they start having teeth is unnecessary. My son has never seen a dentist before.

During the times I have trouble brushing my son's teeth I simply cut down on any sugary foods he may have...not that he has much anyway haha.

With the milk thing it's only encouraged not to let them fall asleep with bottle in their mouth as milk stays around their teeth...a bit hard though if they fall asleep while drinking coz you wouldn't want to wake them up to clean teeth...

Anyways do what you can. Those teeth will fall out in a few years time and by the time they get permanent teeth they'd understand things a lot more!

lyra

If we can't let them fall asleep with bottle in their mouth, does it mean I can't nurse my baby to sleep once he has grown teeth? I love nursing him to sleep...

ast0212

If we can't let them fall asleep with bottle in their mouth, does it mean I can't nurse my baby to sleep once he has grown teeth? I love nursing him to sleep...
Breastfeeding to sleep is ok because milk does not collect around babies' teeth as bottlefeeding does :)

twiggiez

Hi there,

My son is coming to 18 months old and he has a total of 10 teeth (so specific haha)
Anyway my question is, how can I brush his teeth when he kept resisting, widgeting, struggling and pushing my hands everytime I attempt to??
I usually resort to cleaning his mouth by using my fingers (clean ofcourse) to swipe his tongue, inside the mouth and wipe his front teeth...And I'll definitely get bitten!
I've tried brushing teeth in front of him (which he was really fascinated), let him hold his toothbrush, sing Barney song the part where the characters was brushing their teeth which result to him dancing and NOT brushing the teeth!) :wong16:

I dunno what can make him atleast let me brush his teeth?! Any ideas mummies/ daddies??? Thanks!
my girl is 19months. she's doing the same. showed her the barney song and let her see us brushing our teeth. she won't put the toothbrush in her mouth. she'd rather poke her cheek and sing the song.
i've contemplated buying the teeth wipes. but hubby says it's a waste. might as well just use a wet cloth to clean her teeth.
and she's still stuck with a pacifier which i've tried to hide so many times. my hubby just can't resist giving it to her whenever he can't stop her crying.

Nathaniel Mummy

my girl is 19months. she's doing the same. showed her the barney song and let her see us brushing our teeth. she won't put the toothbrush in her mouth. she'd rather poke her cheek and sing the song.
i've contemplated buying the teeth wipes. but hubby says it's a waste. might as well just use a wet cloth to clean her teeth.
and she's still stuck with a pacifier which i've tried to hide so many times. my hubby just can't resist giving it to her whenever he can't stop her crying.
Hi twiggiez,

my son now coming to 20 months and finally he let me brush his teeth (unwillingly of ofcourse)... what I did was let him lie on my lap (im seated on a low stool) during shower but i tilt his head up so that when i brush his teeth he wont panic and feel like choking. He did fuss but i managed to brush his molars, tongue and his upper teeth which gives me a sense of fulfillment!:red: hahaha

Now i think he is used to this "technique" that he obliged. He still fusses but atleast I can get the toothbrush in his mouth, much better than before. I guess we just have to be patient and trial and error...

Newmumi

My son is 18mths & I tried brushing with the kodomo strawberry flavour.. He allows me to brush for hym but swallows the paste. Is it safe on long term basis? I tried teaching hym to spit out but doesn't. Instead laughs at me