Thomson Med Centre vs Mount Alvernia -- opinions please!

themissus

Hi everyone,

I'm a first time mummy, & my gynae can do the delivery either at TMC or Mount Alvernia. She doesn't have a preference for either, but I was hoping you ladies could help me decide based on your experiences.

I'm thinking of going for 2-bedded, and the Mt Alvernia's room charge is cheaper, but I've read somewhere in this forum that Mt A's total bill will amount to more than TMC's? I understand that 2-bedded hubby cannot stay, so I'm looking for a place where the nurses/lactation consultant will be helpful and friendly, coz I sure very blur one.

Anyone can lemme know their approx hospital bill for 2-bedded TMC/Mt A, as well as recommendations for a 1st time mummy? Help please!

p/s: I've heard so many mixed reviews abt tmc (my SIL stayed at premium & loved their service, but friend said tmc quality has dropped coz they're very popular & busy), but at the same time i dno anyone who has delivered at Mt A.

xiaodaisy

for bill ..

delivery will be a difference of $400 + while c section differs abt $100 + (Mt A still is cheaper , this is the price for 4bedded , didnt check 2bedded)

for service ..

both hospital have quite good service .. so its still up to u that which one u wanna choose in e end ..

my auntie's 2 kids is delivered at TMC , feedback is good fm her

my 2 boys is delivered at Mt A and this time round 3rd baby already booked Mt A again , personal reason is cheaper den TMC lol

ling.er

Hi,

I forget the charge for M.A.H but i did give birth my son there ln last year.

The doc/ nurse is very helpful.
I suggest to take a 4room bedded... No really need ur hubb to stay & accompany U as u need rest & wat he will do in hospital?? for mi i wun waste the money.. I take 4 room bedded my hubb also come n acc mi till about 8pm then go off.. it quite boring...

Juz my advise only ^^

My M.A.H is really good, in future i will choose tat hospital again ^^

Hi.

I delivered at Mt A ,single bedded.

From my personal experience, Mt A is definitely my choice again if i have another baby.

The food is good and the nurses are very helpful. The have a lactation person in charge and she is really very encouraging.

Hubby enjoyed his stay too from what i see. Lol!

As for the difference in pricing, i think Mt A is cheaper. I tried to have a normal delivery but ended up with an emergency c-sect. I paid $2,000 plus in cash but this was in late 2009. I heard of cases of normal delivery in Thomson where they paid only slightly less then me.

One reason i chose Mt A was because the parking for visitors is much more convenient. Even though Thomson has a valet service, its takes very long to get your car when leaving.

Hope this helps.

I delivered in Mount Alvernia during March and i had a great stay there. Stayed in single deluxe and their service from both nurses and lactation nurse is good. My baby was also well taken of there. Food not that great besides the tonic soup which was always herbal chicken soup. Delivery suite staff were knowledgeble and helpful... But perhaps during that day was a 'hot' day for mothers giving birth... All rooms were full so service was a bit lacking. Other than that, i would recommend mums to give birth there. My friend working in Thomson told me their infection control has dropped, something which i cannot tolerate.

Gumi

I should have gone to Mount Alvernia this March to deliver my 2nd baby but ended up at Thomson due to the reason that the Gynae's clinic whom I change at the last minute is there.
I regretted my decision cos I didn't expect the standard at Thomson dropped tremendously as compared to 2 years back.
Maybe that's my luck but if you would ask me again, I'm sure will not recommend Thomson neither to my friends nor relatives.

themissus

yuzudinga: Yay first time mummy! Thanks for sharing that, I'm really concerned about breastfeeding, and had heard that the LC over at TMC is quite difficult to get a hold of, coz she's very busy. Perhaps we'll see each other at Mt A then :D

xiaodaisy: That's really helpful, thanks!

ling.er: Actually you do have a point there! But I'm such a scaredy cat, and the hubs decided that since it's my first time, he wants to stay with me, so we might just go for single ward afterall.

Kaykay2009: You're right, I've always secretly dreaded visiting people at TMC coz of the parking! I think I've more or less decided on Mt A already, thanks so much :D

applebreeze: Infection control has dropped? Yikes! It's great to have a recommendation from someone who just delivered there. I'm a Muslim, so the menu's different, and I'm not so particular about food, so I guess no worries there :)

Gumi: Sorry to hear about your experience, sweetie. I think everyone's hospital experience is different, and like you said, depends on luck, but judging from all the positive reviews I've heard of Mt A, I think I'd better play it safe :)

Last edited:

themissus

One last question: for all the ladies who stayed at the single ward, is there a Mother Mary statue in the ward itself?

I understand that the statues are in the 4-bedded wards, but just wanted to know if there's gonna be one in a single ward. I'm a Muslim, and while I personally don't mind it (I went to a convent sec sch), my mom asked. Hehe :D