Tips for caring for a child with HFMD

SDY

Alpha Male
My dd was diagnosed with HFMD last night :wefrown:
The pain and discomfort will probably begin this morning.
Appreciate if any mommies/dadddies could share tips on caring for a child down with HFMD.

Thank you.

AugBoyz

SD, i just checked with a colleague who's son caught the HFMD a mth back. he say fully eruption of the virus will be on the 5th day and it takes a week n a half to recover.

he suggest apply bonjela n watermelon powder to ease the pain n discomfort in the mouth. use either OralB or Listerin to gargle mouth (make sure Ash dun swollow it!). But Listerin may be too "hot" n will sting n cause the mouth alot of pain, try OralB if Ash cannot take it. Make sure she washes her hands frequently. And of course home must wipe n clean more frequent.

When the virus is at its peak, his son could not sleep, so perhaps u have to anticipate tt too.

As for food, no hot or warm food, have to leave the food to cool off then feed. Drinks will be anything ice cold or cold or cooled off will be good.
but then he say hot or warm drinks n food in a way is good too as it sort of burnt off some of the infection (??? think think like logical but think again like very funny thinking haha)

Lastly, his son's PD told him to bring his son outdoor more often, to the beach, park, playground. Expose him to alot of bacteria so tt body can accommodate it. He told me the 2nd time his son's fren caught the HFMD, his son is ok. Try it.

Reactions: mae

AugBoyz

Oh forgot to mention, if Ash doesn't wanna eat maybe give her milk milk. Or vanilla ice cream too coz its cooling and its made of milk ya?

SDY

Alpha Male
Hey AB, thanks for the tips.
Full blown in 5 days' time :eek: But PD said to come back and see him in a weeks' time, so I expected the worst to be somewhat over by then.
Today Ash seems her normal self, now sitting here watching TV and eating biscuits.
What about the blisters that ? Should I apply any antiseptic gel etc ? And can she bathe ?

sal

Oh forgot to mention, if Ash doesn't wanna eat maybe give her milk milk. Or vanilla ice cream too coz its cooling and its made of milk ya?
DD had tat before and was admitted to the hospital for 3 days. She can't eat anything and was being put on drip.

Pd did say to give her jellies or ice cream..something cooling for her.

sal

Full blown in 5 days' time :eek: But PD said to come back and see him in a weeks' time, so I expected the worst to be somewhat over by then.
Today Ash seems her normal self, now sitting here watching TV and eating biscuits.
What about the blisters that ? Should I apply any antiseptic gel etc ? And can she bathe ?
didn't doc give her anything to apply?

It's a must to bath...to keep her clean and cool off heat.

SDY

Alpha Male
didn't doc give her anything to apply?

It's a must to bath...to keep her clean and cool off heat.
Nope, only a gel for relieving pain in her throat so that she can eat.
But so far today, she doesn't seem to have any symptoms, except for the spots on her palm and feet.

AugBoyz

Nope, only a gel for relieving pain in her throat so that she can eat.
But so far today, she doesn't seem to have any symptoms, except for the spots on her palm and feet.
according to my colleague, no cure for HFMD, not even cream.
cleanliness is a MUST, so Ash must bath n wash hands, dun forget to clean ur house more frequently.

AugBoyz

i guess for the blister u can apply some cooling gel like aloe vera? to cool it so it wun feel itchy.

sal

according to my colleague, no cure for HFMD, not even cream.
cleanliness is a MUST, so Ash must bath n wash hands, dun forget to clean ur house more frequently.
Wanna know what i did the last time..i asked my maid to wash all the toys..everything..wz dettol and sun it.

I juz wanna make sure all the germs are exterminated. Coz it's an aweful feeling to see the poor kid suffering...heart pain..

SDY

Alpha Male
Wanna know what i did the last time..i asked my maid to wash all the toys..everything..wz dettol and sun it.

I juz wanna make sure all the germs are exterminated. Coz it's an aweful feeling to see the poor kid suffering...heart pain..
hmm....looks like i have to ask myself:tlaugh:
anyway, can a child be re-infected with HFMD if the cleaning is not thorough ? So far we're only mopping the floors and change bedsheets. Have not got round to cleaning toys yet :eek: