To go for holiday without bb at 7-8 mth old?

Celz

Hi mummies out there, need your advice...

My hubby wanna go for a long holiday before he start his part time master course which is 3 years long. He's intending to go next feb/mar when bb is 7-8 mth old. Intending a long trip (like US, Europe tat kind) n not bringing bb along. I'm not very keen to go but dun wanna disappoint him either. He's just finish a part time honors and he wanna reward himself with a good hols before the next long battle.

Haiz... Got a few concerns here...
1. Think I will miss bb like mad.... Currently she's staying with my in-laws n I only bring her back in weekends. But I try to visit her almost every day after work.. So at most, only won't see her for 1 day.. Can't imagine if I dun see her for 1-2weeks... =(

2. Intending to feed her breastmilk as long as possible. Wondering if by 7-8mth, what will be the intake like n whether my frozen bm be enough for her or not. Hubby says after 6 month start solid so she shouldn't be drinking too much. But from what I know bm should be main source of diet till 1 year even with introduction of semi solid food right?

3. How to pump n store bm on the trip. Unless pump n throw. Knew its possible to transport it back... But think too much hassle n might be impossible if stay diff hotel.

Tried to let hubby understand my worries but seems like he say breast feed till 6 months will be enough so he dun think of it as a prob. Din wanna disappoint him too... Really in a dilemm

lovepixie

Hi Celz.
I also wanna go holiday with mu hubby but thinking of bringing my baby means that she has to endure flight at so young age. :(

andieluv2

Celz:715847 said:
Hi mummies out there, need your advice...

My hubby wanna go for a long holiday before he start his part time master course which is 3 years long. He's intending to go next feb/mar when bb is 7-8 mth old. Intending a long trip (like US, Europe tat kind) n not bringing bb along. I'm not very keen to go but dun wanna disappoint him either. He's just finish a part time honors and he wanna reward himself with a good hols before the next long battle.

Haiz... Got a few concerns here...
1. Think I will miss bb like mad.... Currently she's staying with my in-laws n I only bring her back in weekends. But I try to visit her almost every day after work.. So at most, only won't see her for 1 day.. Can't imagine if I dun see her for 1-2weeks... =(

2. Intending to feed her breastmilk as long as possible. Wondering if by 7-8mth, what will be the intake like n whether my frozen bm be enough for her or not. Hubby says after 6 month start solid so she shouldn't be drinking too much. But from what I know bm should be main source of diet till 1 year even with introduction of semi solid food right?

3. How to pump n store bm on the trip. Unless pump n throw. Knew its possible to transport it back... But think too much hassle n might be impossible if stay diff hotel.

Tried to let hubby understand my worries but seems like he say breast feed till 6 months will be enough so he dun think of it as a prob. Din wanna disappoint him too... Really in a dilemm
guess pump and dump might be ur only option. its not that pumping during an oversea trip is impossible. in fact i did it and transported it back. but i juz went malaysia. if its as far.as.europe.or worst, US, I am.worried that the milk will be spoilt.

i am also planning a trip to europe in jan. and.would have.to stop bf.by then. but my goal is to bf for only 6months and stop due to the nature of my job and me having juz sufficient supply for my bb daily intake. no excess for storage. so if i can bf till 6 months i will be so happy already and anything beyond that is a bonus. but i know i gotta unwind.in jan. so no choice have to stop.

For me, i cant bear to leave my son. So I brought him along to HK when he was one and Perth when he was 2. Frankly speaking, it is not a relaxing trip cos is just like taking care of my son in a different country but i really do enjoy the bonding while overseas cos the whole family is together 24/7 for the duration.

some inputs for your concerns.
2. after you start solid, true, the milk intake will drop but then will not drop so significantly. I suppose you starting solid at 6mths? then by 7-8 mths, i dun think you are going to be so fast replacing one feed of milk with solid. usu we intro solids graudlaly. so solids are like snacks first and we give small amt in between milk feeds. is only few mths down the road that we replace one milk feed with solid. I rem my son was still drinking about 800ml of bm per day 1-2 mths after he started solids.

3.it will be difficult to pump and store milk during the trip. even if you manage to stay in same hotel and freeze your milk, it's hard to transport it back due to the long flight. even if in the plane, they let you use their freezer (which i think is unlikely), during transit, the cooler bag may not keep the fbm at the correct temp and the fbm will thaw a bit. once fbm is thawed, they have to be consumed within 24 hours. so if you go on trip, better to pump and dump. dun make yourself so stressful and then cant enjoy the trip. then defeat the purpose.

how abt go on short trips? he really wants a long trip?

Celz

I'm also trying to convince him if wanna go for hols, maybe juz go for a less than 1 week trip. At least dun have to be so stressful with the milk pumping. Can pump n dump n not waste too much. And hopefully milk supply won't drop too much.

Thanx a lot to u gals for the advices.