Travel with baby on public transport

gregda

I am a new mother and very soon, I will be going back to work.
My baby will be around 4 months and the plan is to put him with my in-laws while both of us are at work. In the evening, I will fetch him back home using a carrier. My husband works late so it will be tough to wait for him at my in-laws place. Wonder if anyone can share if this is possible to fetch my baby dailly using a carrier and taking a bus (20 mins journey) on peak hours like 6pm?

I can take a cab but it will be really quite costly with a lot of surcharges, ERP and considering the long term usage...

Any other options or suggestions? I do not mind carrying my baby in a carrier in the bus...he is quite heavy... 7.4kg at 3 months now..hahaha..but many friends advised me against it citing reasons like "what if crowded bus?", "what is baby cries loudly?" germs around? etc etc....

apollo

how long is the journey? if is notmore than 20min, i think is okay. if he cries, i'm sure u are able to calm him down. taking cabe daily will be very ex in the long run. =)

Last edited:

Amulet

Ppl will give u a seat, Thn not so crowded anymore.. If not, simply request for the seat.. Crythn sooth him lo.. Talk to him ect.. As for germs, it's really harmless la.. Baby might fall sick occasionally.. But his immunity will build up de.. Especially if he is on tbf..

gregda

The journey will take 20 mins. Feels more assured now. I also feel taking cabs can be really costly cause of CBD, peak hour n erp. Any mummies here do same thing like me?

kams

Sometimes I'll take the feeder bus to go to Causeway Point(10min journey) while carrying my baby in her baby-carrier. From what I have observed, most people will give up their seats when they see mummies carrying babies on buses coz the likelihood of falling down while the bus is moving is greater, compared to an MRT train. If really unlucky & no kind soul is willing to give up any seats, make sure both your hands are free to cling onto the grabpoles while the bus is moving.

Standby a ready-made milk bottle for your baby, just in case he gets fussy during the 5-10min waiting period & 20min bus journey.

All the best!

apollo

Ppl will give u a seat, Thn not so crowded anymore.. If not, simply request for the seat.. Crythn sooth him lo.. Talk to him ect.. As for germs, it's really harmless la.. Baby might fall sick occasionally.. But his immunity will build up de.. Especially if he is on tbf..
agree with you! everywhere has germs, there is no germ-free zone. =)

Ashbaby

I travel with my son on public tpt since 6 mths old and he is 14 months old now. So far so good. My son enjoyed the bus ride very much. It's not as bad as u think.

gregda

Thanks!!!
I was very apprehensive cause not much confidence in handling him. But I think shld be able to work out. Hope my baby will enjoy bus rides too . Hubby even bought a new manduca carrier cause we heard good reviews on it. My baby is heavy thus I need a good ergonomic carrier to carry him in the bus..

Edwinie

so have u taken public transport with him before? if no better start travelling and see his reaction.

my son used to cry and scream alot at 4 months when he takes the bus and mrt. i try to soothe him and let him look at the greeneries outside. but he just seem to be scared. it's quite embarrassing for me to have my son screaming. however, i think my skin is thick enough to keep doing it until he gets used to taking public transport. so you better test his reaction when you free. =)

akosiamidala

i have been doing this since my baby's 5-month old, she is now 11- month old. like mummy ashbaby, so far so good!

im sure your little one will enjoy the bus ride too! goodluck :)

joeybeadz

so have u taken public transport with him before? if no better start travelling and see his reaction.

my son used to cry and scream alot at 4 months when he takes the bus and mrt. i try to soothe him and let him look at the greeneries outside. but he just seem to be scared. it's quite embarrassing for me to have my son screaming. however, i think my skin is thick enough to keep doing it until he gets used to taking public transport. so you better test his reaction when you free. =)
Ya. I agreed. My face's skin get thicker whenever I bring my little one out on bus or mrt.

Amulet

Ya. I agreed. My face's skin get thicker whenever I bring my little one out on bus or mrt.
hahaaa.. same here..

i have been taking public transport with my girl right from the start.. just sling her along.. if i need to bring pram, thn just sling her in n carry the pram onboard..

not that scary actually..

after awhile ur skin gets thicker, things gets easier too..

I travelled alone with my baby on the MRT when she was about seven weeks. First two rides, she cried and hollered, irritating all other passengers. She refused to be in the pram. On the third ride, I carried her in a sling and she wailed for ten minutes. By the fourth ride, she was asleep throughout the twenty minute MRT journey. I had to put her in a sling though.

People willingly gave up their seat to me. Even if they didn't, other standing passengers would scold them and make them give up their seats.

I travelled alone with my baby on the MRT when she was about seven weeks. First two rides, she cried and hollered, irritating all other passengers. She refused to be in the pram. On the third ride, I carried her in a sling and she wailed for ten minutes. By the fourth ride, she was asleep throughout the twenty minute MRT journey. I had to put her in a sling though.

People willingly gave up their seat to me. Even if they didn't, other standing passengers would scold them and make them give up their seats.

gregda

No I have not tried taking public transport with him at all. I also agree shld try soon to let him het used to it. Think diff babies react differently .. Really pray he will enjoy the bus rides if not I got to get used to the stares ... Quite scared about this... Haha

Edwinie

No I have not tried taking public transport with him at all. I also agree shld try soon to let him het used to it. Think diff babies react differently .. Really pray he will enjoy the bus rides if not I got to get used to the stares ... Quite scared about this... Haha
haha! get someone to do it with you if you are scared. don't worry la! you have our moral support!

gregda

Thanks for all the advices n assurances!
I brought baby out today. 15 min bus journey and he slept soundly in the carrier. Hope it's a good start. My maternity leave is ending soon so must go out more! So happy to walk ard whole day in town today. The manduca carrier is real good!!

joeybeadz

Thanks for all the advices n assurances!
I brought baby out today. 15 min bus journey and he slept soundly in the carrier. Hope it's a good start. My maternity leave is ending soon so must go out more! So happy to walk ard whole day in town today. The manduca carrier is real good!!
Just take note that baby might be uncomfortable in train tunnel cos of the noise. Just need to keep assuring him/her that it is fine.

Edwinie

hello! i've got a few questions.

1: we are not allowed to use strollers on bus, right?
2: in mrt can we use strollers? i saw some mums using strollers.. and if it is crowded, any mums know which carriage can easily find space? i'm worried there will be lots of people and i can't push the stroller in.