Trying to have normal birth after C section

mummypooh09

Hi mummies n daddies,

I'm currently 8 weeks plus pregnant now (EDD may 2011) and I was wondering does anyone have experience or even advice to share with me. Because I'm hoping my 2nd one will be normal birth.

I had C section due to high BP n infection which my gynae can't really tells me what causes it. My C section was on Dec 2009, my gynae advice me to go under C section again because of few reason.:embarrassed:

First because it will have a risk which the stitches may break n both (me n baby) gonna be in danger. Second is money wise, which if can confirm earlier that we are choosing C section, the fee (both cash n medisafe) will not so high compare if we suddenly need to have an emergency operation.

Well my only hope is able to give birth normal, because better in lots of things compare after C section. If anyone of mummies n daddies have any experience or advice to share, please do so... I'm willing to hear all the information as much as possible :001_302:

Have a great day n GBU All :tlaugh:

diymummy

You should try to look for a doctor which supports VBAC (vaginal birth after c-section).

Though the things which your gynae said has a possiblity of happening, ie, wound bursting, it would be helpful to have a gynae who's experienced in VBAC to offer you better advice.

From what you're saying, it doesn't seem that your gynae supports VBAC.

My first baby was also delivered via c-sect due to pre-eclampsia (pregnancy high blood pressure) at 36 weeks. But my gynae encouraged me to aim for VBAC for my 2nd and he said that I should be able to do that after 1 yr of the c-sect. So I feel, you should maybe consider a 2nd opinion.

I wouldn't recommend my gynae because he has raised his price quite a bit after I delivered my first baby in 2008. I am not pregnant now but just sharing what my gynae told me.

mummypooh09

Thanks DIYmummy,

well I came back to my gynae (Lawrence Ang) because his charges quite reasonable. He did mention I could try doing VBAC, but all depends me myself.
Regarding gynae that support VBAC I dont really know much. And my gynae also have increase his package which I will ask about it on my 2nd appointment.

cheers :001_302:

You should try to look for a doctor which supports VBAC (vaginal birth after c-section).

Though the things which your gynae said has a possiblity of happening, ie, wound bursting, it would be helpful to have a gynae who's experienced in VBAC to offer you better advice.

From what you're saying, it doesn't seem that your gynae supports VBAC.

My first baby was also delivered via c-sect due to pre-eclampsia (pregnancy high blood pressure) at 36 weeks. But my gynae encouraged me to aim for VBAC for my 2nd and he said that I should be able to do that after 1 yr of the c-sect. So I feel, you should maybe consider a 2nd opinion.

I wouldn't recommend my gynae because he has raised his price quite a bit after I delivered my first baby in 2008. I am not pregnant now but just sharing what my gynae told me.

christie06

hi, my first baby was thru c sect due to baby not descending and water bag breaks first and that was 2002... my second baby was thru normal delivery last may 2010... my gyne was the one who encouraged me to try it on normal delivery... like what the other mommy said better consult with another gyne if it is really possible for you to have a normal delivery but after you've consulted another gyne and said that you can't maybe it would be better to have a c sect instead... after all they know what's best for your case.... that's just my opinion...btw, my gyne is dra anita kale of nuh...

mummypooh09

hi, my first baby was thru c sect due to baby not descending and water bag breaks first and that was 2002... my second baby was thru normal delivery last may 2010... my gyne was the one who encouraged me to try it on normal delivery... like what the other mommy said better consult with another gyne if it is really possible for you to have a normal delivery but after you've consulted another gyne and said that you can't maybe it would be better to have a c sect instead... after all they know what's best for your case.... that's just my opinion...btw, my gyne is dra anita kale of nuh...

Hi christie06,

thanks for your info, yes but I really need to think wisely whether to seek 2nd opinion or just take the risk. Because I'm thinking of the fee of consultation (only my hubby is the one who work) so really hard for me too :embarrassed:

But thanks for the advice :001_302: will keep in mind

izanyzam

Dt Paul Tseng of Thomson Medical Center is pro-natural and I think it shouldn't be a problem if you want to go for natural birthing.
I am currently 12weeks pregnant with my No.2..Delivered my firstborn via emergency c-sect in November 2009 as he had pooed whilst still inside my tummy..!!! :eek:

My gynae was Dr.Paul..Now also seeing him for my 2nd one since im so comfortable with him..Have yet to raise the issue of VBAC..Will do so at my nxt appt. Im also looking forward to having a normal birth for the 2nd one..The first one could have been a normal delivery if my baby hadn't pooed.Waterbag burst on its on..It seemed like the start of a normal birth.Hahaha..!! But as long as my boy is safely delivered,it doesnt matter.I will revert again after asking Dr.Paul about VBAC yah.. :001_302:

PinkDiamonds

I just had a c-section recently and I asked my gynae about attempting a VBAC at my next pregnancy. She advised that I should have a 2 year gap between my last C-sect & next VBAC. ie: I had my c-section on 10 Oct 2010. So if I want to attempt a VBAC my next delivery date should not be any earlier than 10 Oct 2012.

Since your EDD is less than 2 years after your last C-sect, I guess this might be a reason why your doctor advised you to go for a C-section again. The risks are definitely there, whether you attempt a VBAC, or go for a C-section again.

Good luck & wish you a smooth pregnancy

theSavvyMummy

My sis-in-law did a natural birth with her 2nd child after doing a C-section with her 1st child. No problem at all. Hope this gives you a bit more confidence!

jiajia

About two years apart.
who is the gynae she engage?

For me is due to breech position, heard that i stand higher stand to go for VBAC. So far i only know DR Paul Tseng.

Wanna know if there is other gynae also very supportive in this area. If not I will go ahead with Paul Tseng in few weeks time.

cmeilim

there is another pro-natural gynae in singapore who can support - Dr FM Lai at Camden - but he is a lot more expensive.

i am also with Dr Paul - for #1 and now #2. glad to know there are several other mummies in this forum who are with Dr Paul too.

jiajia

there is another pro-natural gynae in singapore who can support - Dr FM Lai at Camden - but he is a lot more expensive.

i am also with Dr Paul - for #1 and now #2. glad to know there are several other mummies in this forum who are with Dr Paul too.
Ya, hear of him too and know that he is even more exp.

I am trying to cut cost for no. 2 so must make a right decision. I am very scare that I end up had to go for emergency c-section and then got to pay more again.

cmeilim, can i know how much Dr Paul is charging now? I was informed that we have to pay $1200++ at 32 weeks.

Previously i was his partner Eunice chua patient 2007 and every visit seems to spend like $120-$170 like that which i feel is so exp....

cmeilim

Dr Eunice is the most exp gynae in TLC clinic, and she is very popular. Personally I feel Dr Paul is better and has a much more established reputation for respecting mummies' choices and supporting pro-natural choices, while at the same time he is very experienced, wise and technically very competent. Heard he still goes back to KKH from time to time to train the younger gynaes there now...He is definitely more senior in terms of experience and expertise than the other two gynaes in the same clinic, but his prices are very reasonable.

Avg first consultation $100-$120. Subsequent consultations $50.
First scan $60. Subsequent scans $30 (and he doesn't do scans unnecessarily)
Dr Paul also doesn't make patients take too much supplements unnecessarily, unless medically required, because he advocates natural nutrient intake through food.
Pay per visit. No package.
Delivery charges are based on the type of delivery. Can call up TLC to check.

Yes, there is a deposit to pay at 32 weeks but i think part of it is for the hospital ward. I can't remember what we had to do in 2009 for our #1 (I am very bad at such things; my hubby takes care of it), and we are still a bit early now in my second pregnancy to check on the costs.

But our conclusion is that what we paid for #1 is not much different from KKH Private Suite, for a much better gynae. =)

jiajia

Dr Eunice is the most exp gynae in TLC clinic, and she is very popular. Personally I feel Dr Paul is better and has a much more established reputation for respecting mummies' choices and supporting pro-natural choices, while at the same time he is very experienced, wise and technically very competent. Heard he still goes back to Kandang Kerbau Hospital from time to time to train the younger gynaes there now...He is definitely more senior in terms of experience and expertise than the other two gynaes in the same clinic, but his prices are very reasonable.

Avg first consultation $100-$120. Subsequent consultations $50.
First scan $60. Subsequent scans $30 (and he doesn't do scans unnecessarily)
Dr Paul also doesn't make patients take too much supplements unnecessarily, unless medically required, because he advocates natural nutrient intake through food.
Pay per visit. No package.
Delivery charges are based on the type of delivery. Can call up TLC to check.

Yes, there is a deposit to pay at 32 weeks but i think part of it is for the hospital ward. I can't remember what we had to do in 2009 for our #1 (I am very bad at such things; my hubby takes care of it), and we are still a bit early now in my second pregnancy to check on the costs.

But our conclusion is that what we paid for #1 is not much different from Kandang Kerbau Hospital Private Suite, for a much better gynae. =)
hey thanks for this info, its make me feel that i will make the right choice!

I personally also had pay visit to Phyllis, also don't find her exp than Eunice. Ya, alwasy waiting time for Eunice is at least 1 hr during weekdays.

Infact the nurses there also tell me that Dr Paul and Phyllis is more serious, but that time i feel too comfortable to change. Sigh. Luckily i do reserach this time round and find out so much in this forum!

ThankS!:tlaugh: