TTC but...Husband's Semen Analysis - Need Advice on Next Steps Natural? IUI? IVF?

KirstenQ

Hi All,

I need to know if anyone is in the same/similar boat and can offer me some advice/comfort:

My husband and I have been trying to conceive for 4 months without success. I know this is a short period but we decided to just send his Semen for an analysis to find out if there was anything wrong.

Turns out he has healthy sperm count & v good motility...however his Morphology is only 1% which and was diagnosed with "teratozoospermia" which is a condition whereby majority of his sperms forming is abnormal (and only 1% of his sperm is viable for a successful conception to take place).

This really saddened me. Strangely, the Doctor told me that I still have a 'high chance' of conceiving cos i am young, regular periods & ovulation, and his sperm count is still high so even 1% is still enough to conceive - just that it might take us longer than usual to conceive.

When I googled online about this condition, people in the same boat ended up having to go for IUI and some can't even do IUI they have to immediately take the IVF route.

Now I'm just confused...how long should we try naturally before taking the alternative routes?

Husband is now taking supplements and herbal remedy provided by the clinic and he is to retake his test again in 3months time.

I Hoping for the best. The good thing is my husband has taken the news strongly and he is determined to do what he can to help his condition... in fact he is calmer than I am... considering the fact that we BOTH want kids, he really turned out to be the stronger one even though the issue (supposedly) likes with him. I am very thankful that at least we can count on each other to take on this hurdle together.

Any advice is appreciated :)

KirstenQ

Re: TTC but...Husband's Semen Analysis - Need Advice on Next Steps Natural? IUI? IVF

I forgot to add, the normal level for Morphology is 14%. Borderline is 5-13%. and Low is 0-4%.

dolphyant

Re: TTC but...Husband's Semen Analysis - Need Advice on Next Steps Natural? IUI? IVF

Hi All,

I need to know if anyone is in the same/similar boat and can offer me some advice/comfort:

My husband and I have been trying to conceive for 4 months without success. I know this is a short period but we decided to just send his Semen for an analysis to find out if there was anything wrong.

Turns out he has healthy sperm count & v good motility...however his Morphology is only 1% which and was diagnosed with "teratozoospermia" which is a condition whereby majority of his sperms forming is abnormal (and only 1% of his sperm is viable for a successful conception to take place).

This really saddened me. Strangely, the Doctor told me that I still have a 'high chance' of conceiving cos i am young, regular periods & ovulation, and his sperm count is still high so even 1% is still enough to conceive - just that it might take us longer than usual to conceive.

When I googled online about this condition, people in the same boat ended up having to go for IUI and some can't even do IUI they have to immediately take the IVF route.

Now I'm just confused...how long should we try naturally before taking the alternative routes?

Husband is now taking supplements and herbal remedy provided by the clinic and he is to retake his test again in 3months time.

I Hoping for the best. The good thing is my husband has taken the news strongly and he is determined to do what he can to help his condition... in fact he is calmer than I am... considering the fact that we BOTH want kids, he really turned out to be the stronger one even though the issue (supposedly) likes with him. I am very thankful that at least we can count on each other to take on this hurdle together.

Any advice is appreciated :)
Hi kristen,

Don't be disheartened! My hb's sperm morp is also bad, only 2%. But we managed to conceived naturally (although time took is longer).

Just will like to share the things that we did that helped us bfp. my husband has very low sperm morph, only 2%, low sperm motility and i dont o every month and have pcos. i also have tons of small cysts around my ovaries and 2 fibroids. we tried 3 rounds of IUI with clomid and metformin in 2009 and all 3 attempts were bfn. I did bfp in late 2009 but ended up in MC. Managed to bfp again in beg 2011 and thank god, pregnancy is progressing well so far. crossing my fingers to have smooth pregnancy and delivery.

We took the below supplements for about 3 months before we managed to bfp! I'm now 17th weeks into my pregnancy. I truly believe the supplements helped both of us. Do give these supplements a try!

My hubby took:

Immuvital multi vits (prescribed by gynae)
pycnogenol (bought from online shop)
vitamin C
royal jelly with bee pollen (bought from online shop)
Coq10 with Fish oil (bought from online shop)

I took:
GNC Mulit vitamins
vitamin C
royal jelly with bee pollen (bought from online shop)
Coq10 with Fish oil (bought from online shop)
CoQ10 with selenium (bought from online shop)
folic acid

raspberry tea daily from start of AF and stop once O happened.

i also started jogging twice a week for 4 months, did foot reflex every 2 weeks for 4 months.

we also used pre-seed for many months but did not succeed. Then i switch to using Conceive Plus instead and the month i used conceive plus, i succeed! maybe conceive plus is more suitable for me!

Btw, i bought all my OPKs, Pre-Seed, Conceive Plus and supplements from this url: Baby Dust Shop

hope my sharing of information can be of help to you! babydust to you and may you bfp soon!

KirstenQ

Hi dolphyant,

Thank you so much for sharing your personal experience with me. Gosh, you both really went through a lot and I must say that you + husband must be a very strong & positive couple :)

Congratulations on your pregnancy - I wish you a very smooth delivery & a happy healthy baby to follow :)

I think I have just been sub consciously impatient and wanting to just get pregnant quickly - this adds on to my frustration. After reading your journey to pregnancy... I think I really just need to learn how to be patient and stop stressing about the "What IFs" which is not in my control...and concentrate on what we can do to help our situation. This is why I really appreciate your advice on what you and your husband did too!

I've had a quick look through at your supplement list and it's quite similar to what my husband was prescribed and is currently taking. His multi Vitamin brand is VIGOR-ACE. He takes additional Vitamin C & Coq 10 fish oil as well. Only thing is the royal jelly & pycnogenol....do you think I should get these additional ones for him? How do they help?

The doctor also gave him this herbal supplement to take "Tribestan" which is a plant extract supposed to increase men's performance and vitality.

As for me...i am on Blackmores Conceive Well GOLD (which has a variety of vitamins including fish oils, vitamin C and folic acid).

One thing which i lack is EXERCISE. Which I should really be more disciplined in doing.

Guess What? I JUST started using Conceive Plus...hopefully this works for me too. Thanks for recommending me the online shop link! I got my lubricant from Mr&Mrs Smith.

I forgot to mention I have a retroverted uterus which is fairly common for women but the doc says it means I need to tilt my butt upwards more in order for the sperm to reach the right place!

Oh well, thanks for your well wishes , what you've shared has definitely helped me. :)

dolphyant

Hi dolphyant,

Thank you so much for sharing your personal experience with me. Gosh, you both really went through a lot and I must say that you + husband must be a very strong & positive couple :)

Congratulations on your pregnancy - I wish you a very smooth delivery & a happy healthy baby to follow :)

I think I have just been sub consciously impatient and wanting to just get pregnant quickly - this adds on to my frustration. After reading your journey to pregnancy... I think I really just need to learn how to be patient and stop stressing about the "What IFs" which is not in my control...and concentrate on what we can do to help our situation. This is why I really appreciate your advice on what you and your husband did too!

I've had a quick look through at your supplement list and it's quite similar to what my husband was prescribed and is currently taking. His multi Vitamin brand is VIGOR-ACE. He takes additional Vitamin C & Coq 10 fish oil as well. Only thing is the royal jelly & pycnogenol....do you think I should get these additional ones for him? How do they help?

The doctor also gave him this herbal supplement to take "Tribestan" which is a plant extract supposed to increase men's performance and vitality.

As for me...i am on Blackmores Conceive Well GOLD (which has a variety of vitamins including fish oils, vitamin C and folic acid).

One thing which i lack is EXERCISE. Which I should really be more disciplined in doing.

Guess What? I JUST started using Conceive Plus...hopefully this works for me too. Thanks for recommending me the online shop link! I got my lubricant from Mr&Mrs Smith.

I forgot to mention I have a retroverted uterus which is fairly common for women but the doc says it means I need to tilt my butt upwards more in order for the sperm to reach the right place!

Oh well, thanks for your well wishes , what you've shared has definitely helped me. :)
Hi kristen,

It has been a long journey indeed and everyday I pray very hard that this will be a sticky bfp.

royal jelly is good for both men and women as it improves both eggs' and sperm quality. I highly recommend you to get your hubby to try pycnogenol. pycnogenol helps to improve sperms morp. you can try to google it and there are many websites that recommend this supplement to improve sperms morp. i have a few friends whose hb have low sperm morp and all conceive naturally after taking pycnogenol for a few months. do also consider coq10 with selenium for yourself as it improves blood circulation and selenium is important for us during 2ww for implantation for the fertilized embryo. selenium is also an important vitamin for men to improve sperm quality.

not to worry about retroverted uterus. i have that too and many of my friends. most of my friends conceive easily even with retroverted uterus. good luck! most importantly, must relax and don't stress. :)

LilHas

You are not the only one and I truly ustand how you feel. I've been trying to concieve for 4 years and my husband was also diagnosed with teratozoospermia. Our gynae also told us the same thing that we can get prgant but it just take longer time. Well I've waited too long! We did one cycle of IUI but failed and I've stop after that. It's been a year already since we went for any treatments and have been trying to do it naturally but guess that fail too!

We have also been using preseed all these yrs and hey I might chg to conceive plus! I took Blackmore conceive gold but suffered reaction from it... Acnes! So decided to stop. I guess it's time for me to start back my Folic Acid....

Next yr, I've decided to go back to fertility treatments maybe at Kandang Kerbau Hospital. Hope it'll work out this time.... Baby dust to us!

babymoo

Yup u r nt alone... My hubby case is oso same... We tried IUI but failed nw waiting to trying ivf...
Try out ginseng oso.. It does help as recommended by doc. But do rem tt u must noe tt multi vit n ginseng is heaty products. Ur hubby need to drink tons of water if not he will fall sick =)