TTC via IVF 2010 discussion Group

pumpkin101

Hi All...

I thought I might start this thread for all ladies who are trying to concieve via IVF (if there is any). Would be nice to know each other's thoughts, experience and problems too...

I have recently decided to go for IVF. In fact this thought became strongly sometime in April and after my trip, I went for it. I first had my blood test to check my homones which is broken down to FSH, LH, Estradiol, Testosterone and Proclactin (not blood test for HIV though)

Blood test for HIV will be done later which doesn't make sense to me. This blood test should be the very 1st test to take before proceeding to IVF, really...

Anyway, my homones result is ok. Everything is normal and now I am on my own injecting the necessary jabs at home. At the moment, jabbing Suprefact at home. I will see my doc on the 5th day of my mens. So for now, jab and wait for my mens to come...

pumpkin101

I am 34 this year and trying for a 2nd baby for close to 2yrs plus I think. The 1st child didn't come easy. I guess I must have tried for 4 yrs.

My gynae who deliver my 1st child ever suggested going for a fallopian tube check and I didn't want. I guess it was the cost. I was even on fertility pill. The infamous pill called serophene... Somehow it didn't work and I guess after trying for such a long while, I decided to go for IVF.

During these period of time, I visited chinese doc to sort out my womb. I was told that my womb was all along on the cool side that's why it's not easy to get pregnant. So I had that issue sort out and now I have stop seeing the chinese doc since it's so costly. For now, I just make sure NO COLD DRINKS and only drink warm water. Even water at warm to hot temp.

I think it's really important to sort out whatever problem we have or might have before going for IVF since it's a very expensive investment...

pumpkin101

Many people I know who went through IVF told me it's not easy, it's not cheap... it's not this and that... it's good to know all these to get a little mental prepared. But again, different people will experience different things, really.

I am positive and chill about this process. I didn't want to think and burden my thoughts about the results etc. I am thinking it slowly. One step at a time. Whatever that is required to do, I will do it.

I was advised to continue to take folic as it will help implantation and stop all chinese herbs/medicine and avoid soya stuff.

A 38yr old friend of mine who went for IVF for the 1st time sucessfully gave birth to a baby gal, now 3yrs old. :))) but her 2nd attempt failed. She told me not to hear say too much from forums, haha... ultimately, it's your health that matters. I kindda agree...

Hi Pumpkin,

When do you intend to start and where are you seeking ivf treatment? Are you also seeing any traditional chinese medicine? I just failed my 1st fresh cycle with Kandang Kerbau Hospital in Oct. Now trying to 'tiao' my body back so can do Frozen Egg Transfer soon.

I did not come up with much cash (<$300) during this 1st cycle. Total bill is <7k (1/2 govt grant, 1/2 medisave deductible). Btw folic acid just prepare your body for pregnancy. If you want to improve implantation, need to take brazil nuts/durian during 2ww.

Last edited:

pumpkin101

I am going to start sometime next week. Next monday which is tomorrow will be my last visit and on weds I will have to remove my eggs and have it put back on Saturday.

I did seek chinese medicine and now I have stopped. I was told my womb is not cool anymore so I stopped totally including taking chinese medicine as I was informed to stop chinese medicine the moment I start this ICSI programme.

I read in your other post that you did 6x clomid treatment. What is that? You didn't go for IVF straight or did you?

Hi Pumpkin,

When do you intend to start and where are you seeking ivf treatment? Are you also seeing any traditional chinese medicine? I just failed my 1st fresh cycle with Kandang Kerbau Hospital in Oct. Now trying to 'tiao' my body back so can do Frozen Egg Transfer soon.

I did not come up with much cash (<$300) during this 1st cycle. Total bill is <7k (1/2 govt grant, 1/2 medisave deductible). Btw folic acid just prepare your body for pregnancy. If you want to improve implantation, need to take brazil nuts/durian during 2ww.

I am going to start sometime next week. Next monday which is tomorrow will be my last visit and on weds I will have to remove my eggs and have it put back on Saturday.

I did seek chinese medicine and now I have stopped. I was told my womb is not cool anymore so I stopped totally including taking chinese medicine as I was informed to stop chinese medicine the moment I start this ICSI programme.

I read in your other post that you did 6x clomid treatment. What is that? You didn't go for IVF straight or did you?
We didn't go straight to ivf as we start trying to concieve @ 25yrs old. We went to a gynae @ women's clinic to do fertility test (bloodtest, hsg, SA). The result was dear husband had mild teerazoospermia. Dr Ooi started me on clomid (hormone drugs) to induce ovulation as my period cycle was quite long (36-39days). After 6x unsuccessful tries (took 2mths then rest 1mth) on max clomid dosage, she advise me to change to a less stressful job.

We rest for >1/2 yr as I need time to settle down on my new job. My period cycle became shorter (32-34days). Then we went TFC & redo the fertility screening (laparoscopy, SA, bloodtest). The result for dear husband still same but Dr Cheng advise not a serious problem & suggest us to do traditional chinese medicine for 1yr. He told us to return for so-iui if still unsuccessful. Finally when we hit 29, we finally decide we must do something and went polyclinic to get referral to Kandang Kerbau Hospital. We only did so-iui (BFN) and ivf this yr but unfortunately, result in chemical. I wanted to do FET in Dec but it seems my doc-in-charge, Dr Loh will be on long leave so may need to postpone next year.

Where are you doing ivf?

serirahayur

Hi all,

I am 23yo and married for 2 years.
I am going for IVF next year at KKIVF under Prof SF LOh.
My appt to sign the consent and learn to do the injections will be on 6jan.
Nervous, excited, scared.....

Anyone can advise me on what i can do/take now to prepare myself for the ivf process?

much thanks

Hi all,

I am 23yo and married for 2 years.
I am going for IVF next year at KKIVF under Prof SF LOh.
My appt to sign the consent and learn to do the injections will be on 6jan.
Nervous, excited, scared.....

Anyone can advise me on what i can do/take now to prepare myself for the ivf process?

much thanks
Wow, you are so young! When did Dr Loh schedule you for ivf? Have you done all the fertility tests yet? May I ask what is the issue you are facing that both of you decide to embark ivf? Do you believe in TCM?

serirahayur

Wow, you are so young! When did Dr Loh schedule you for ivf? Have you done all the fertility tests yet? May I ask what is the issue you are facing that both of you decide to embark ivf? Do you believe in traditional chinese medicine?

It was scheduled for last month but we were away in Jakarta so had to postpone to next year.
Will be seeing the nurse for signing of consent and all in Jan.

Many people were surprised when they got to know that im going for IVF because im still young.
I got married at 21 and have been TTC. So after 1 year od trying we decided to go for a check.
I did HSG and blood tests, all normal. Hubby's SA (semen analysis), no good. Low sperm count, so prof loh recommended us to go for IVF straight.

Ive heard of TCM but never tried before.

It was scheduled for last month but we were away in Jakarta so had to postpone to next year.
Will be seeing the nurse for signing of consent and all in Jan.

Many people were surprised when they got to know that im going for IVF because im still young.
I got married at 21 and have been trying to concieve. So after 1 year od trying we decided to go for a check.
I did HSG and blood tests, all normal. Hubby's SA (semen analysis), no good. Low sperm count, so prof loh recommended us to go for IVF straight.

Ive heard of traditional chinese medicine but never tried before.
May i ask how old is your DH? Many sisters & their DH will go tcm with Dr Zou @ AMK before ivf, maybe you like to try out?

Tips before ivf:
1) Set an exercise regime 2-3x a week (swimming, jogging) to improve blood circulation. Regular massage/acupunture also helps.
2) Cut off cold drinks, alcohol, smoking.
3) Reduce/avoid caffeine drinks (if possible).
4) Take folic acid/supplements/tcm daily
5) Drink 2 litres of water daily
6) Drink red dates+wolfberry drink (if want also can add some dried logan but quite heaty).
7) Avoid taking too much spicy or 'cooling' food (green beans, eggplant, bittergourd, pineapple, watermelon).
8) During 2ww, can eat 2-3pcs of brazil nuts to aid implantation.

You may refer to IVF.ca - Sample IVF Long Protocol to estimate when you go on hospitalization leave.

serirahayur

May i ask how old is your dear husband? Many sisters & their dear husband will go traditional chinese medicine with Dr Zou @ AMK before ivf, maybe you like to try out?

Tips before ivf:
1) Set an exercise regime 2-3x a week (swimming, jogging) to improve blood circulation. Regular massage/acupunture also helps.
2) Cut off cold drinks, alcohol, smoking.
3) Reduce/avoid caffeine drinks (if possible).
4) Take folic acid/supplements/traditional chinese medicine daily
5) Drink 2 litres of water daily
6) Drink red dates+wolfberry drink (if want also can add some dried logan but quite heaty).
7) Avoid taking too much spicy or 'cooling' food (green beans, eggplant, bittergourd, pineapple, watermelon).
8) During 2ww, can eat 2-3pcs of brazil nuts to aid implantation.

You may refer to IVF.ca - Sample IVF Long Protocol to estimate when you go on hospitalization leave.
Thank you so much for the info, really appreciate it.

My hubby is 27 y/o this year, which puzzled the doctor too.

Regards to point 4) , can you name me a few supplements that i can get over the counter?

pumpkin101

I am doing it at O&G at Glen E. I seeked TCM sometime this Jan to make sure my health was ok and all along it was my womb that hasn't been good as it was on the cold side. A few intensive visit and medicine finally helped me. The TC Doc I saw is in ParkMall. Each visit is at least 200 for me and another 200 for my hubby. My hubby didn't start until much later as he is taking other supplement from O&G. Now we both stop TCM as we have started the ICSI programme.

We didn't go straight to ivf as we start trying to concieve @ 25yrs old. We went to a gynae @ women's clinic to do fertility test (bloodtest, hsg, SA). The result was dear husband had mild teerazoospermia. Dr Ooi started me on clomid (hormone drugs) to induce ovulation as my period cycle was quite long (36-39days). After 6x unsuccessful tries (took 2mths then rest 1mth) on max clomid dosage, she advise me to change to a less stressful job.

We rest for >1/2 yr as I need time to settle down on my new job. My period cycle became shorter (32-34days). Then we went TFC & redo the fertility screening (laparoscopy, SA, bloodtest). The result for dear husband still same but Dr Cheng advise not a serious problem & suggest us to do traditional chinese medicine for 1yr. He told us to return for so-iui if still unsuccessful. Finally when we hit 29, we finally decide we must do something and went polyclinic to get referral to Kandang Kerbau Hospital. We only did so-iui (BFN) and ivf this yr but unfortunately, result in chemical. I wanted to do FET in Dec but it seems my doc-in-charge, Dr Loh will be on long leave so may need to postpone next year.

Where are you doing ivf?

pumpkin101

I think these days it doesn't really matter how old you could or should go for IVF. Some couples wheather young or old who have tried for several years and when there is no news to that, we had to seek other alternative. (considering ourselves lucky as we could afford for the IVF Programme)

A friend of mine is in her late 20s and considering she comes from a fairly well to do family, she didn't seek IVF's help. She said I am brave. I guess it's how determine and prepared our mind set are.

If it is a good news, this would be the biggest xmas present for me. If it isn't, I guess luck is not with me and I have to continue to move on. I suppose both couple have to be on the same page, supporting each other and not finger pointing when the results are not what we want...

Anyway, I had retreived 13 eggs yesterday and should hear from my doc by today when I should go back for implantation...

A report will be forwarded to me to let me know regarding the egg and sperm quality.

If I have excess good eggs, I will freeze it up for sure.

Strangely, I am neither nervous or excited. I am cool and calm over all these process. Whatever I was told to do or not to do, stick to those instruction.
Importantly is reeeeeeeeeeeelax our mind...

So whenever I can sit around, I will lie down instead... Or nap whenever I can...

Anyway let's see how things go ... all the best to everyone out there doing IVF...

pumpkin101

It might be better to get it directly from your gynae and at the same time do a sperm test to determine the quality of your DH sperm. My DH's wasn't good so instead of IVF, we were advised to go to ICSI straight away.
Again, young men doesn't mean their sperms gonna be good condition. Older women doesn't mean they gonna have lousy eggs... So it's good to have a check.

I went for ICSI and went straight into the programme. I didn't go for any check if my falleupien tube is block. That is not necessary as I was told. So make sure we only go for necessary tests.

Thank you so much for the info, really appreciate it.

My hubby is 27 y/o this year, which puzzled the doctor too.

Regards to point 4) , can you name me a few supplements that i can get over the counter?

citrella

The IVF process is very painful right? You all are so brave. Thanks for sharing.

My hubby and I will try for 1-2 years or so. If I still don't conceive, I will be open for options such as clomid and even IVF. I'm 30 next year.

pumpkin101

So far, the only discomfort I felt is after removing those eggs. I don't feel any pain even though I heard many people saying that. I am amazed that the only "pain" I felt was after removing the eggs. However, it's only discomfort, not really pain. As for putting put, it's like papsmear which doesn't require you to go on general or local.

Pain could be from daily jab but the needles are so fine and when you have some fats around your waist line, you don't feel much at all. All these are really bearable considering I super scare of pain!. Consider everytime I take jab, I have to hug a person so tightly... It's bearable, really...

Egg removal op took me about 45mins.
Bed rest for 4hrs before discharge.

The IVF process is very painful right? You all are so brave. Thanks for sharing.

My hubby and I will try for 1-2 years or so. If I still don't conceive, I will be open for options such as clomid and even IVF. I'm 30 next year.

I think these days it doesn't really matter how old you could or should go for IVF. Some couples wheather young or old who have tried for several years and when there is no news to that, we had to seek other alternative. (considering ourselves lucky as we could afford for the IVF Programme)

A friend of mine is in her late 20s and considering she comes from a fairly well to do family, she didn't seek IVF's help. She said I am brave. I guess it's how determine and prepared our mind set are.

If it is a good news, this would be the biggest xmas present for me. If it isn't, I guess luck is not with me and I have to continue to move on. I suppose both couple have to be on the same page, supporting each other and not finger pointing when the results are not what we want...

Anyway, I had retreived 13 eggs yesterday and should hear from my doc by today when I should go back for implantation...

A report will be forwarded to me to let me know regarding the egg and sperm quality.

If I have excess good eggs, I will freeze it up for sure.

Strangely, I am neither nervous or excited. I am cool and calm over all these process. Whatever I was told to do or not to do, stick to those instruction.
Importantly is reeeeeeeeeeeelax our mind...

So whenever I can sit around, I will lie down instead... Or nap whenever I can...

Anyway let's see how things go ... all the best to everyone out there doing IVF...
Hi Pumpkin,

Please come to this forum, http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/messages/5/154014.html?1291342568 its more active and you can get more support from ladies going through same procedures.

pumpkin101

My doc called me and I am due to do my ER on this coming Saturday.
At the moment, I am on anti biotic and progestrone gel to be inserted into my virginal. That's to help the lining. Of course I am still taking folic acid. I am taking 2 instead of 1.

I was informed that I had 13 eggs being removed from my womb and 12 of them are being fertilised. Meaning 12 good spotted sperms are used. Doc said that I will have a few to be frozen and the final numbers will be advised after Saturday.

Due to my age, I was advise to put back 3 eggs.

I think it's a short procedure. I will have to drink at least 1liter of water to have a full bladder before the ER.

My doc called me and I am due to do my ER on this coming Saturday.
At the moment, I am on anti biotic and progestrone gel to be inserted into my virginal. That's to help the lining. Of course I am still taking folic acid. I am taking 2 instead of 1.

I was informed that I had 13 eggs being removed from my womb and 12 of them are being fertilised. Meaning 12 good spotted sperms are used. Doc said that I will have a few to be frozen and the final numbers will be advised after Saturday.

Due to my age, I was advise to put back 3 eggs.

I think it's a short procedure. I will have to drink at least 1liter of water to have a full bladder before the ER.
Hi Pumpkin, you are now in 2ww.. right? So how many is frozen? are you given any supports? When is your progestrone bt & hcg bt?