Twins-How to breastfeed 1 & express for the other?

kathtan

Need some advice here- One of my twins is coming home next week and I am supposed to total breastfeed him. However, I am also expected to bring xpressed breastmilk for the 2nd twin who is still in hosp. Now, can someone tell me how am i supposed to do that:err:? As both are prematurely born at 30 weeks, I have been expressing and bringing them to hospital for them for the last 4 weeks. However, my milk is barely enough for both. ANyone in similar situation before?

cherry

My twins are 3 months old now. In the beginning, I let both of them to latch on, one by one or both at the same time. After 1 month of tiredness and because my boy drinks very slow, I started to express the milk for him to drink while totally breastfeed my girl. The volumn of my express milk was also not high. I have to give him FM as well. But after I find out that it is quicker to get the BM while my girl is latching on because of the let-down effect, my situation improves, from 2-3 FM per day to 1-2 FM per day.

I also wonder whether my girl drinks enough or not because she gains weight slow. But the doctor said she is ok and she doens't cry for milk, I think it should be alright.

Why do you need to express for 1 of the babies? I feel it is more comfortable to have them latch on because the pumping machine makes my nipples a bit painful.

snowbear

Need some advice here- One of my twins is coming home next week and I am supposed to total breastfeed him. However, I am also expected to bring xpressed breastmilk for the 2nd twin who is still in hosp. Now, can someone tell me how am i supposed to do that:err:? As both are prematurely born at 30 weeks, I have been expressing and bringing them to hospital for them for the last 4 weeks. However, my milk is barely enough for both. ANyone in similar situation before?
Maybe you can pump the other breast while latching on the bb so that at the end of the feeding session you can have milk for your other bb. :)

kathtan

The other twin who is staying back in hosp cannot latch on yet, so need to drink from bottle. I have to express out for him. Twin 1 is coming home so i am trying to total breastfeed him. That's why i am thinking how am i going to express for Twin 2 and bring to hospital and yet breastfeed the other one at home. Both on 3hrly feed now. Both are also supplemented by infant formula due to low supply of BM.

snowbear

The other twin who is staying back in hosp cannot latch on yet, so need to drink from bottle. I have to express out for him. Twin 1 is coming home so i am trying to total breastfeed him. That's why i am thinking how am i going to express for Twin 2 and bring to hospital and yet breastfeed the other one at home. Both on 3hrly feed now. Both are also supplemented by infant formula due to low supply of BM.
did you see my earlier post? When you're latching twin 1, hold a pump in your other hand and pump for twin 2 at the same time. By the end of the feed, you will have enuff milk for twin 2 for 1 feeding. If you need to bring more than 1 feed for twin 2, i suggest you pump conscientiously now and build up your supply and store as much as you can now. :)