U.S Online purchase

tongwk

I'm interested to do online purchase from a few America retailer website. Sometimes I see they got sales and the price is much lower than buying in Singapore.
But the postage and delivery charges is just too high and make it not worth while even if the purchase is cheap.

Like to check with the ladies and guys here how do you do the delivery when purchase online?

Is it :
1) through the original website delivery ( which is usually quite high )
2) through some delivery service accounts like borderlinx...
3) some group buying and spree...

Also like to know websites or forums for group buying and spree if anyone can recommend.

Thank you so much.

hweiyee

I also like to buy online from US websites such as GAP, La Mer & ebay. The prices for some products eg. cosmetics, may be cheaper when I buy from those US websites rather than buy from the cosmetics counter here.

One way I save on the delivery charges is to buy from a few websites about the same time so that I can consolidate my packages for shipments from USA to Singapore using vpost. I prefer to use vpost to ship my items back rather than borderlinx as vpost is so far quite fast, it takes about 1-2 weeks or slightly more to reach Singapore. I've used other courier services before but it takes longer & some of them charge GST for consolidated packages with cost (incl delivery charges etc) > about S$400. I think vpost only charge GST for each package > S$400 so I can save in this area.

When you consolidate packages to be shipped back together, you pay only 1 base charge of about S$13.40 plus the individual charges depending on the weight of the packages & size of the package or box. Eg. I bought a small Coach/Kate Spade wallet from ebay in USA, the individual charge would be about S$4-5 only if the seller send it in a small package. If I bought some T-shirts from GAP around the same time & they are packaged in a big carton box, it may cost me about S$20-35? or more. So I would have to pay S$13.40+$4+20=S$37.40 for the 2 consolidated packages for the shipping charges to vpost. If I bought 5 T-shirts from GAP & a wallet from US ebay, my shipping charges for each item would be approx. S$6.30. If you want to save more on the shipping, buy more items from same online shop to reduce the shipping cost per item.

Last edited:

hweiyee

Thanks I will check on v post. Maybe next time we both can even combine our postage. :)
If you want to combine our postage, we have to coordinate on the purchase date so that they can be consolidated & shipped back together
on time. Also, vpost only ship to one local address so we have to meet up for you to collect the item from me if you would like to. :tsmile:

I am ok with such arrangement if you have more than 1 shipment from USA as it is more worth it if both of us share the base shipping
charge of S$13.40 & divide it according to the no. of shipments. The additional charge based on the weight/volume size of the individual
package/box will be borne by us accordingly.

i like comgateway, uses dhl. i am pleased with their services. e.g if i buy from old navy, a 1.5kg can cost me usd $18, just paid yesterday.

i might buy something from US website, we can share also:)

sometimes it will be good if u wait for their sale.

hweiyee

i like comgateway, uses dhl. i am pleased with their services. e.g if i buy from old navy, a 1.5kg can cost me usd $18, just paid yesterday.

i might buy something from US website, we can share also:)

sometimes it will be good if u wait for their sale.
I've used comgateway before, is it now called hopshopgo or something like that? Can't remember why I decided not to use it anymore.

Do they consolidate packages just like vpost as well? And do they charge GST for each package > S$400?

By the way, may I know besides old navy, which other USA websites do both of you shop at?

Last edited:
hweiyee,
comgateway is still the same. it allow me to store packages that arrive at their end up to 60 days, meanwhile during this timeframe i can continue to shop at other sites.

so far i have yet to exceed sgd 400. but i thought it is a random check when undergo custom for package more than $400.

for baby stuff, some useful site will be babies r us, old navy and gap can combine, amazon, drugstore, target stores, baby depot , carters and oshkosh can combine etc. it really depends who offer the best price, sale etc

tongwk

Sorry for the late reply.

I'm always looking at websites from baby'R'us, Target, Wal-mart, JC Penny, Osh Kosh, Kohl's, Sears, and Old Navy. Sometimes their sales price are really attractive.
Sometimes got free deliver to the US address.

Maybe you can add me in what apps and we can further discuss the delivery . My number is 90405945

hweiyee

Sorry for the late reply.

I'm always looking at websites from baby'R'us, Target, Wal-mart, JC Penny, Osh Kosh, Kohl's, Sears, and Old Navy. Sometimes their sales price are really attractive.
Sometimes got free deliver to the US address.

Maybe you can add me in what apps and we can further discuss the delivery . My number is 90405945
Oh, sorry I don't shop at those websites you mentioned. Maybe you can combine your purchases with ilovebbdylan since she shops from similar
websites as you. :)

hweiyee

hweiyee,
comgateway is still the same. it allow me to store packages that arrive at their end up to 60 days, meanwhile during this timeframe i can continue to shop at other sites.

so far i have yet to exceed sgd 400. but i thought it is a random check when undergo custom for package more than $400.

for baby stuff, some useful site will be babies r us, old navy and gap can combine, amazon, drugstore, target stores, baby depot , carters and oshkosh can combine etc. it really depends who offer the best price, sale etc
Comgateway allow you to store packages at their end up to 60 days? That's very good as vpost only allows up to 14 days and after that they will start
to charge storage fee per day but is very little, maybe about $1 or $2 per day if you don't exceed to many days.

As for GST charges, according to my understanding, vpost don't do random check, they will charge for every package exceeding S$400.

Anyway, I see you shop at same websites as tongwk, maybe you can combine shipment with her & add her in your whatsapp. Both of you can save
on shipping fees this way.

dianay

Hi, I am also interested in getting baby and adult things from the US website. Yeah, we can combine purchases too!