Unborn sibling to give a present to the current child

kohym

Alpha Male
I have a 2yo girl. The 2nd child, a boy, is arriving soon. I was told must buy a present for the girl and say it is from the unborn sibling. Have you guys practiced this before? How to choose the present or just bring the girl to choose?

thanks.

carolinaw

Never heard this. And if I had 2nd child, I would tell my daughter all the things that she would have a brother/sister. She would see her brother/sister's growth in belly, birth. I have no idea about present, but buy her what she likes.

redjn

I have not heard such before but recently I think I saw the "present thing" on TV channel 8 where 1 daddy bought a present to his elder son just to ease the elder sibling from the threat of their new arrival.

I did diz wif my then 2-yr old. Brought her to toys r us n got an idea of te toys she would like to hv. Then hubby n i bought it n kept it in the car. When she came to visit me in the hospital, we gave it to her n said that it was frm her baby sister. It's more of introducing a new baby to her n for her to not see the baby as a threat. But it is totally up to u. If u feel that ur child can understand tht there is a new baby coming n can accept it, then i guess there is no need to do as such :)

gumbokins

Yes it's not a must..some kids might feel a little 'threatened' with the arrival of the baby, so the present is like a peace offering...hahah

did that with my girl, her baby brother bought her some dolls :)