Undigested carrot and vege bits in poo

marshmallows

Hi mummies,

I'm feeding my boy porridge and I mash cooked carrots and cut leafy vege into very small bits using a scissors. He is taking lumpier food now quite well but I noticed some undigested carrot and vege bits in his poo. Does that mean he is unable to digest them well to obtain the nutrients? Should I revert back to purees then?

Thanks!

Mummy to Baby V

Perhaps your baby is still learning to chew well. You can try cutting the carrots into smaller cubes.
Or mash some with a spoon when feeding. Continue to offer him some lumpy food cubes and show him how to chew before swallowing.

It's good to progress to lumpy food. Sticking with purely purred food for too long may lead to laziness to chew.

ast0212

They will take some time to learn to chew. Meanwhile keep doing what you're doing :)

My 18month old doesn't chew up everything as well. He's had lumpy food since 8 months and even this morning I find corn kernels and other unchewed food in his poo.

As long as he's eating that's the important thing. You'll find some adults will gobble up food without much chewing and others who will chew till the food becomes creamy :)

ChrissieC

Yes, it is common. I used to sliver the carrots to make it easier to digest, before progressing to chunkier cubes.