Unimpressed with Dr Terence Tan

JazN

Anyone had the same experience?

I visit Kinder Clinic in Holland Village my daughter’s PD is Dr Terence Tan who is there only on Mon. However since the concern didn’t arise over my recent last visit thus I made a call to Mount Alvenia where Dr Tan is on other days, on Tues, 19 Jan, asking the nurse to get him to call my mobile once he is available. The call was made in the afternoon 4+pm, till 11+pm no return/missed private number call.

I called the next day late morning & the nurse who picked up said will get him to call me back since she was aware I had made a second call. I was sure my mobile number is correct as the nurse called me back to verify some information. Still NO call ever received.

WELL having paid for his consultation which cost $80 for each visit & being my daughter’s PD, I’m UNIMPRESSED. Does it constitute a real emergency then will I receive a return call OR because I’ve made a repeated return call he knows it’s not as urgent??? Even if he can’t get me at night I’m sure morning still suffices? Hope I receive a valid reason when I make the THIRD CALL today & of course if he calls back otherwise I’ll need to lodge a complaint and ask KK instead since it was where I delivered my daughter.

So far I feel that even though he is popular & always appears friendly, the information he gave is fairly generic. He did not advise to start weaning my daughter during her last 6M visit for vaccination, thus if you’re not savvy parents you should seriously reconsider. Once when we asked him what the blue spots (Mongolian spots) on the bums /back arms of our daughter was he mentioned it will disappear when she’s older approx 1year but asked us to surf the net for more information.

Last edited:
Wow! How dare he ask you to surf the net for more information! Why not next time you tell him, you're not paying him for nothing and if you can surf the net for info he might as well not be a doctor. Isn't it their job to assure us?

My dd also goes to kinder clinic for check ups. But we go to the one at gleneagles. Our opinion is perhaps bcos they're working for the company, as in not their own practice, they dun put in alot of effort. We are also thinking of changing paed.

apollo

according to ur input, i feel that he did not even bother to ans ur basic enquiries. my pd will inform/tell/teach us the knowledge on certain things. e.g: when ds went for his 6th mth jab, he asked if he has started solid food, and advise us on hw many solid food meals shd we gif him according to his weight. as for those birth mark, we didnt even notice ds has a birth mark which was hidden in his hair until we brought him to his 1st week checkup and my pd told us the mark will slowly fade off etc...

i think tt's the basic a pd or even normal gp shd do... =)

JazN

Yes. have changed pd for my daughter's next visit

My dear, your complaint on him about this will have no effect. May I know what is the call regarding? I feel that if your so unimpressed by him during your visits, e.g. the advise on weaning, mongolian spots, then maybe its time you change pediatrician?
After paying the clinic consultation = can get him to call back anytime even when it's not an emergency?

JazN

Wow that's amazing! We as parents, fortunately, do our own reading! Sorry loh 6month I was the one to start weaning my daughter. He did not even ask if I had already started weaning when during that visit it was a week after my daughter's 6 month b'day.

Apollo, where did you frequent your PD?

according to your input, i feel that he did not even bother to ans your basic enquiries. my pediatrician will inform/tell/teach us the knowledge on certain things. e.g: when dear son went for his 6th month jab, he asked if he has started solid food, and advise us on hw many solid food meals should we give him according to his weight. as for those birth mark, we didnt even notice dear son has a birth mark which was hidden in his hair until we brought him to his 1st week checkup and my pediatrician told us the mark will slowly fade off etc...

i think that's the basic a pediatrician or even normal gp should do... =)

Last edited:

JazN

3rd time i called still no revert. I not so free to call him back already! Never seen such irresponsible PD.

Domique

I had been visiting kinder clinic at paragon for some time. There were once Alaric was coughing badly and we went to Terrence Tan since he major in respiratory. I would not say he is bad but we are still
more comfortable with my current pd dr siva. I feel that Terrence more sales talk and lacks of concern
FYI I also did call the clinic back wanting to check with Terrence on my son's condition and some medicine issues and he did not bother to return call as well. My pd at paragon Dr Siva always call back despite he is always pack with patients and he doesn't make rush calls to us. We feel that he truly cares for his patients.
Do consider him your next visit

ps heard tat Terrence always late to step in clinic that's why always gotta wait very long. I have no prob at paragon branch with dr siva.

Last edited:

apollo

Wow that's amazing! We as parents, fortunately, do our own reading! Sorry loh 6month I was the one to start weaning my daughter. He did not even ask if I had already started weaning when during that visit it was a week after my daughter's 6 month b'day.

Apollo, where did you frequent your pediatrician?
sry babe i just check bk this thread. my pd is Dr EK Ong. he used to be at TMC but now shifted to Mt A. Last night ds had high fever 39.7 and we brought him to Mt A A&E, the nurse helped us called his pd and he really came down to see him at 11+pm. =)

if u nd his contact, can PM me =)

autumn82

:err::err::err: Iggy's been seeing Dr Terence Tan since NB until now. Belle has been seeing Dr Ong EK since NB until 3 years old.

Both of them are fine. Dr Tan did tell me about weaning (I didn't ask him) and all stuffs and answered my questions promtly when I asked him. He didn't mention about surfing net for more info.

Frankly speaking, if you ask for my opinion of Dr Tan, he is a very frenly PD who makes effort to ans my questions even though he speaks like a saleperson.

Dr Ong is also a frenly PD, quite soft spoken. :p Very gentle. LOL.

As for medicine wise, I think both PDs are giving almost similar stuffs. :)

Both docs have awfully waiting time, which I think is normal for PDs.

apollo

:err::err::err: Iggy's been seeing Dr Terence Tan since NB until now. Belle has been seeing Dr Ong EK since NB until 3 years old.

Both of them are fine. Dr Tan did tell me about weaning (I didn't ask him) and all stuffs and answered my questions promtly when I asked him. He didn't mention about surfing net for more info.

Frankly speaking, if you ask for my opinion of Dr Tan, he is a very frenly pediatrician who makes effort to ans my questions even though he speaks like a saleperson.

Dr Ong is also a frenly pediatrician, quite soft spoken. :p Very gentle. LOL.

As for medicine wise, I think both PDs are giving almost similar stuffs. :)

Both docs have awfully waiting time, which I think is normal for PDs.
luvluv, belle belle's pd also Dr Ong? hw come i dunno? haha!! i must admit, Dr Ong's waiting time is VERY 'OMG!'!!!!!

autumn82

luvluv, belle belle's pediatrician also Dr Ong? hw come i dont know? haha!! i must admit, Dr Ong's waiting time is VERY 'OMG!'!!!!!
Yup, Dr Ong Eng Keow from SBC right? But she stopped seeing him since 3 years old. :p

I shifted her to Dr Tan, easier for both kids to be at same PD.

I think most of the PDs, the waiting time is.. 2-4hrs min. LOL.

temari

my baby also seeing dr terence tan at mount alvernia hospital.

we went kinderland at mount alvernia many times for my baby jaundice, windy stomach and bloody stools sickness.

i have experience bad service at kinderland at mount alvernia, the nurse there call the wrong names for my baby, cnt find my baby file, let me waited for 2hrs plus as walk in when my newborn is very sick and shivering there, call and ask me same questions many times when i have already return the photothreapy light bed weeks ago, call in say emergency need to see dr terence is he instructed. but nurse say they are not told and dont know the conversation between him and us so ask me to go as walk in.

when he advise us to admit baby during he got bloody stools, so far the treatment and his service is ok. he visited baby in hospital and explain to us etc. althought he came late at night but as promise he still appear.so far we follow his advise and baby is doing fine now.

Daddy D

Alpha Male
luvluv, belle belle's pediatrician also Dr Ong? hw come i dont know? haha!! i must admit, Dr Ong's waiting time is VERY 'OMG!'!!!!!
Yup, Dr Ong Eng Keow from SBC right? But she stopped seeing him since 3 years old. :p

I shifted her to Dr Tan, easier for both kids to be at same pediatrician.

I think most of the PDs, the waiting time is.. 2-4hrs min. LOL.
Wahh... u all see "branded" PDs one ahhh...
I just rely on my regular GP during office-hours... and KKH A&E during after-office hours....
Max 2 hours... if too long I also sian half...

apollo

Wahh... you all see "branded" PDs one ahhh...
I just rely on my regular GP during office-hours... and Kandang Kerbau Hospital A&E during after-office hours....
Max 2 hours... if too long I also sian half...
simi 'branded'?? pd also got branded and normal 'brand' deee mehhh? haha...

paperger85

It is recommended that babies below 1yr old be brought to a PD instead of a GP. Doesn't mean that going to a PD means branded. We're just being responsible parents.

apollo

It is recommended that babies below 1yr old be brought to a pediatrician instead of a GP. Doesn't mean that going to a pediatrician means branded. We're just being responsible parents.
paperger, no worries, Daddy_D was just kidding only. =)

autumn82

It is recommended that babies below 1yr old be brought to a pediatrician instead of a GP. Doesn't mean that going to a pediatrician means branded. We're just being responsible parents.
Yea, Daddy_D was just joking when he said that. :p

paperger85

I was just letting him know why we bring our babies to the PD in case he didn't know. I do know of some parents who bring their babies to GP and end up the GP didn't do anything. Always good to bring baby to the PD instead of the GP. :)