Using sippy cups

lyra

How old is your baby when you introduce sippy cups? Which is the best type? With or without handles?
My baby hates bottles so I'm thinking of going for sippy cups when he's 6 months old, skipping the bottle totally. I'm latching all the time now.

ast0212

I let my son use a sippy cup at 6 months when we're out and about, the Avent one with no handles... he played with it more than drank out of it, same with a bottle so I didn't bother with a bottle. A cup with handles may be easier though. At home I gave him a open plastic cup from 6 months too, holding onto the cup so he doesn't spill it..he drank a lot better from a cup and he enjoyed it more too.

Now when we're out he drinks from a normal water bottle.

You can try and see if your baby is comfy with a sippy cup. Sometimes it can take a couple of different sippy cups before your baby likes one:)

lyra

Does the water bottle has straw? Some sippy cups has straw but I'm not sure if a 6month old can take straws?

I let my son use a sippy cup at 6 months when we're out and about, the Avent one with no handles... he played with it more than drank out of it, same with a bottle so I didn't bother with a bottle. A cup with handles may be easier though. At home I gave him a open plastic cup from 6 months too, holding onto the cup so he doesn't spill it..he drank a lot better from a cup and he enjoyed it more too.

Now when we're out he drinks from a normal water bottle.

You can try and see if your baby is comfy with a sippy cup. Sometimes it can take a couple of different sippy cups before your baby likes one:)

ast0212

No straw in water bottle...but that was when he is much older, around 18 months. I can't remember when he started using a straw, 17 months I think. 6 months might be a bit too young for a straw...

A sippy cup would be more suitable for a 6 month old... like you I'd also avoid using bottles with my daughter :)

malibu

How old is your baby when you introduce sippy cups? Which is the best type? With or without handles?
My baby hates bottles so I'm thinking of going for sippy cups when he's 6 months old, skipping the bottle totally. I'm latching all the time now.
Hi Lyra, how's your baby boy doing with the sippy cups? My 4 month girl refuse bottle from 3rd month onward and now fully latching, even when i gave her expressed breast milk in Avent bottle, she will just bite/chew on the teat then sucking :( so now still not able to go back to work.

hueychye79

I introduce my son for sippy cups is when he reach around 7 months, he love it.

The brand is call mug mug.

Than change the bottle with straw when he is around 14 months.

My son love to drink water, always ask me to top up the water bottle whenever is finish...

Kxmum

6 mths is a bit early for straws..my gal started drinking from straw ard 12 mths.. Initially she often choke on the drink cos she suck too hard.. need sometime to master the skill..sippy cup with handles are easier to hold.. For a 6 mth old, can start with the ones with handles...

lyra

4 months is a bit young for sippy cup. I intend to give him sippy with breastmilk when he's 6 months. Now, I give him Tommy Tippee sippy with a bit of boiled water. He drink a bit and most of it dripped out. I fill it with boiled water instead of milk because it dripped out too much.

Hi Lyra, how's your baby boy doing with the sippy cups? My 4 month girl refuse bottle from 3rd month onward and now fully latching, even when i gave her expressed breast milk in Avent bottle, she will just bite/chew on the teat then sucking :( so now still not able to go back to work.

xinyl

Hello, can i ask if my gal can already drink from straw, does she still need sippy cup ?

How to train her to drink directly from the cup then ? Experience mothers pls advise. Thanks!

germgerm

I gave my son a munchkin Elmo sippy cup when he was abt 6 months old. He will play wif e cup but He was able to guide e spout to his mouth n when he bite on e spout, water will flow out for him to drink. Avent sippy cup I find e water flow is too fast cos it doesn't rely on baby to suck then water will flow out. Another good spout cup is the nuk silicon sippy cup. This one got cover so more hygienic when u bring out.

malibu

I gave my son a munchkin Elmo sippy cup when he was abt 6 months old. He will play wif e cup but He was able to guide e spout to his mouth n when he bite on e spout, water will flow out for him to drink. Avent sippy cup I find e water flow is too fast cos it doesn't rely on baby to suck then water will flow out. Another good spout cup is the nuk silicon sippy cup. This one got cover so more hygienic when u bring out.
i've got a set of Magmag from Pigeon from baby full month, come with 3 diffrent change cup top, got nipple, spout n straw all come with its own cover and will let her try in 2 week time.
will give the spout

Hello, can i ask if my gal can already drink from straw, does she still need sippy cup ?

How to train her to drink directly from the cup then ? Experience mothers pls advise. Thanks!

I think there is no need to introduce sippy cup then. Read from "what to expect: first year" that sippy cups can actually bring about problems such as tooth decay if not used properly.

In fact, the book recommend teaching the toddler to drink from a cup straight away. It did mentioned that it would be messier than using a sippy cup though.

I'm just quoting from the book. No experience yet since my boy is only 2 month old. heh!