Vaginal Swab Culture Test

Seastar

Hi Mummies,

I am going for VSC next week. Don't know what to expect.
Can you share your experience? Is it painful?

pixie

For mummies who are going for natural birth, this is a mandatory test. And if you are infected, you can get treated by having a jab. I had mine done and I hardly feel any pain except some discomfort although some mummies commented that they feel pain and even spotting afterwards. So it really depends. If you have a low treshold for pain, you might feel it but try to relax, it will help.

ast0212

Is this for Group B Streptococcus? We had to do it ourselves for the hospital I went to with my first baby. The hospital gave us a kit to bring home to do. Didn't hurt as we only insert the swab 1cm in.

hibernate

i had mine at my gynae's clinic. there was a little discomfort when dr inserted something in. there wasn't any pain .. just try to relax

pixie

Yes, I had mine done at the clinic by the gynae :)
It was a breeze; no pain but just some discomfort. No spotting. Result came out as negative so I did not need the jab.

For mummies who are going for natural birth, this is a mandatory test. And if you are infected, you can get treated by having a jab. I had mine done and I hardly feel any pain except some discomfort although some mummies commented that they feel pain and even spotting afterwards. So it really depends. If you have a low treshold for pain, you might feel it but try to relax, it will help.
I am 36 weeks now. I had my swab test done a few days ago. I was tested positive. I am worried now. Anyone had a similar experience?
My doc wants to start me on oral antibiotics first and then IV antibiotics during delivery. What is the jab u r referring to?

ast0212

I am 36 weeks now. I had my swab test done a few days ago. I was tested positive. I am worried now. Anyone had a similar experience?
My doc wants to start me on oral antibiotics first and then IV antibiotics during delivery. What is the jab u r referring to?
I was tested positive too with my first pregnancy, I was given intravenous jab into my hand when I was in active labour. It's really nothing to worry about :)

pixie

Hi, I did not have to take the jab but my sis-in-law did. She is very prone to yeast infection and in all her 3 pregnancies, she was tested positive. According to her, the gynae did prescribe her anti-biotics and then an hour or so just before labour (e.g. push the baby out), the gynae will then give her a jab.

All her 3 boys are healthy, hence, I suppose you need not worry. Try to stay positive and relax as your mood will affect the fetus/baby. Take care :)