Visiting different gynaes in first trimester: ok?

soulffle

Hello everyone! :)

My husband and I just discovered we're pregnant for the first time, about 4-5 weeks. We are looking for a doctor and have made an appointment with a gynae next Saturday.

I'm just wondering if anyone can share their experience of 'doctor shopping'? This is because we want to consult a gynae my family doctor recommended but she's free in January only.

Is it okay we visit 2-3 doctors and decide after first trimester? Or is it better to stick to the same doctor from the beginning?

I'm just worried there might be tests etc and worried if it's bad for the baby if I keep having tests. Or it's not good that I go to so many.

Sorry, first time parents so really appreciate all the advice you can give!:) Thank you so much!!!

kimitsusei

yeah you can opt for subsidized class during 1st trimester

then switch to private rate by choosing specific gynae in your hospital when you reach 2nd trimester

just need to tell the customer service counter staff when booking your next appt

Last edited:

mskyliee

It's up to ur choice..and what kind of test r u referring to? If u meant blood test, u can always bring ur blood test result to the preferred doctor. Some blood test only need to do once.

shortshort

Hello, I'm also a first timer. :) May I know where are you going for the first check up?

I went to the polyclinic to get a referral letter but my appointment is next year Jan!! Doctor estimates I'm ~10-11 weeks already. I think it's a bit too long to wait till next year for my first check up :( I called the few government hospitals and all said December waiting time is longer and the earliest I could get was 2 weeks but not confirmed.. Even so I had to go back to the polyclinic to ask the doctor to change the hospital referred.....

soulffle

Thanks kimitsusei and mskyliee! Actually I'm scared of blood and needles so it really helps that you say I can bring the blood tests to the preferred doc.

Seems like there is no issue with changing docs too so I'm quite comforted. Thanks for the advice!! :)

shortshort: Congrats!! :) I am going to RH but feel a bit stupid now because kimitsusei has a good point :/ I tried to make appointment with a friend's gynae but the gynae is free in January only also! So which hospital are you going to in the end? Oh dear I hope it wasn't too much of a wait both times at the polyclinic :O

Last edited:
I think visit diff gynae is definitely okay but you must be aware of the $$$
Cos most gynae charge more for first consultation and subsequent consultation will be cheaper. For instant my gynae charge $150 for first consultation and after that will be $90. :) I went to 3 diff gynae during my first trim and end up paying a lot more.

I went to 1 gynae near my home when I'm 5 wks. But realize I'm not very comfortable with him. So fix an appt with another gynae at week 8. However during wk 7 I was spotting so I went to kkh but didnt have a good experience too. Finally settle for the 3rd gynae...

shortshort

Thanks kimitsusei and mskyliee! Actually I'm scared of blood and needles so it really helps that you say I can bring the blood tests to the preferred doc.

Seems like there is no issue with changing docs too so I'm quite comforted. Thanks for the advice!! :)

shortshort: Congrats!! :) I am going to RH but feel a bit stupid now because kimitsusei has a good point :/ I tried to make appointment with a friend's gynae but the gynae is free in January only also! So which hospital are you going to in the end? Oh dear I hope it wasn't too much of a wait both times at the polyclinic :O

Thanks soulffle!! :) Congrats to you too! In the end I called up Mt. A and they directed me to call their clinics. Searched around and finally booked an appointment with Dr Kang Wee and it's only next Thursday!! :)) Don't really mind paying a bit more than subsidized since I wanna quickly do a check on my precious baby and I didn't wanna wait till I'm 14-15 weeks for my first check! :/

roudx

Ya, 1st consultations is very ex I think. I paid over $100 everytime I go ..

I went to 2 diff gynae at 1st trim. 1st gynae was just to confirm my pregnancy. 2nd gynae was actually to follow up my pregnancy. Then my next appt is jan, with another Gynae, but he's the one I'm gonna fixed.. Hehe..

ping87

I think u can call in to fixed a doctor. Otherwise for future appt, u will still be seeing team doctors..

I see team doctors at clinic c once and n my hubby totally dislike the doctors. Some times it's not even doctor who sees me, might be just registrar. Felt super unsafe!

soulffle

Thanks for the tips! I will just be checking out 2 doctors (since the first didn't do blood test ha ha ha - scared of blood la that's why) cos' my husband wants to make sure we can at least choose the one we are more comfortable with.