Walker woes

potato

Hi mummies,
I read in a magazine that if babies are accustomed to walkers, they may tip toe when they actually start to walk? My daughter is turning one, she doesn't know how to walk yet, but loves sitting on her walker.. Should i stop her from using the walker? I'm afraid that she'll tip toe when she walks.. Does that mean she'll tip toe for life? Thanks mummies.. :(

jojoki

My baby have never used a walker... but was very tempted to get her one when we put her in one at a dept store and she was having a blast wheezing around in her newfound mobility. But I do think that using walkers may cause them to used the wrong muscles in learning to walk or a wrong posture ( cant remember all the technical terms) so I din bother getting one for her. My cousin when she was a baby reached all the milestone really early, sat up on won at 4 mths, walked by 8 mths, so my aunt put her in walker really early at around 4-5 mths? n as a 18 year old now, she's not very good with her balancing because her hips somehow is grown inwards ( cant remember the terms again!)

my baby is turns one end of feb this year. shes cant walk too, just cruising. but shes huge la, shes 12 kg!! or maybe more!! hahaha

ChanelleHugo

My baby have never used a walker... but was very tempted to get her one when we put her in one at a dept store and she was having a blast wheezing around in her newfound mobility. But I do think that using walkers may cause them to used the wrong muscles in learning to walk or a wrong posture ( cant remember all the technical terms) so I did not bother getting one for her. My cousin when she was a baby reached all the milestone really early, sat up on won at 4 mths, walked by 8 mths, so my aunt put her in walker really early at around 4-5 mths? n as a 18 year old now, she's not very good with her balancing because her hips somehow is grown inwards ( cant remember the terms again!)

my baby is turns one end of feb this year. shes cant walk too, just cruising. but shes huge , shes 12 kg!! or maybe more!! hahaha

she's really cute!!!

ChanelleHugo

Hi mummies,
I read in a magazine that if babies are accustomed to walkers, they may tip toe when they actually start to walk? My daughter is turning one, she doesn't know how to walk yet, but loves sitting on her walker.. Should i stop her from using the walker? I'm afraid that she'll tip toe when she walks.. Does that mean she'll tip toe for life? Thanks mummies.. :(
All my 3kids slp in yao lan when born which alot of ppl mentioned bbies bone are still very soft cannt keep let them slp in yao lan de...nt gd for backbone.. actually i only put them in yao lan at night and none of them had any side effect till today...
And i oso put them into walker at 4mth when they are able to lift up their head or learning to lift up their head.. but of coz we cant let them sit too long.. when 4mths is just abt 5mins e most then slower increase the duration.. my son now already running ard the hse with his walker... but must take note when they are sitting in e walker their feet can touch the ground nt just toes is e whole feet is standing on the ground.. my 2gals dun tip toe at alll....
Actually everything also can let the kids try but must monitor carefully...

hope u understand wat i mean... kind of sleepy le..nt able to express myself clearly.. :shyxxx:

Last edited:

EnFlor

All my kids were placed on walker. No prob with posture or balancing till now. Just need to adjust the height of the walker carefully.

Agree with ChannelHugo, as parents/caregivers, we just need to monitor the lil ones.

nurman02

Hi mummies,

should be no worries... my daughter was put in the walker too and she start to walk on her own when she's 1yr 2months... she tip toed abit but for a short while only... now, at 2yrs 7months, she can outrun me and hubby... heeee :tlaugh:

diymummy

I have a walker but I rarely use it for my boy. I use a push walker instead.

I have also read that using too much of the walker will cause the wrong muscle groups in the leg from developing, causing kids to start walking later or walking wrongly.

That being said, I also see lots of kids who don't use walkers but still tip-toe when they walk. I think as parents, once we notice such tendencies, we should try to help them correct it instead of letting the situation improve by itself, which may or may not happen.

I also agree with the rest of the mummies that the height of the walker has to be suitable for your baby.

I would suggest cutting down the time your baby spends in the walker and you hold her hands and teach her how to stand and walk or cruise. That way, she will be able to discover other ways of moving around rather than depending on the walker to get to places she wants to.

Ting

pin was on the walker arnd 7 mths iirc.
she could walk w/o support b4 1 yo.
all babies/toddlers tip toe to walk regardless u put them on the walker or not.
its a natural thing for them to do it.
pin's motor skills r very good ( also told to me by her teachers) she can run n move very fast compared to her peers.
u dun hv to put your baby in the walker the whole day maybe on n off u put her in to aid n encourage her in walking.
maybe 30mins-1 hr a day. u can spread out to 2-3 times a day.
after she is encouraged in walking, she will start cruising w/o the walker.

raeka

My boy also have sit in the walker since he was around 5-6 month.
I start from 10 min to half and hour the most..
he can start walking at 14 month without support.. yes children will tip top so we have to correct them slowly..

my boy too slept in cradle but his is afternoon nap only.. night time i train him to sleep on bed.

Mummy3

What is your ratioale of putting your baby in a walker? Can learn to walk faster, safer, etc?

I personally is against walker. When my mum wanted to buy walkers for my twins, I was no, No, NO. 2 walkers in the flat running around?? Cute but where got space and energy for them. I saw my ex maid from Myanmar rural area, not walker, still grew up fine. So Y ve walker?

My gal starter walking in her cot on fm 7.5 mths and my boy 8 mths, on their own, not assisted. Then when they are on the floor, they'll put dining chairs or high chairs and walk around.

From my observation, walker might slow down their progress as they are trained using the wrong muscles.

My 2 cents worth ...

Ashbaby

I didnt get to use walker when Im young, but I walk tip toe until a much older age. I only start correcting it when Im around 10 years old.