warming ebm

Shirix

Hi all,

Can I just check how u all heat up the bm? For me, I put close to boiling temp water ( those keep in hot flask) in a cup and then put the cold ebm bottle in. Sometimes I put in the cup for too long and it become too hot for baby to drink so I take out and put in normal temp for it to cool down to the right temp before I gave baby.

My question is will the hot water kill some of the nutrients in the bm?? If just use warm water, it will take very long to warm up the milk.

Shirix

How food Warner works? It will also heat the bottle using high temperature to the desire temp right?

ling.er

Just add water in the warmer and place the bottle in... So far I heat for 2 min like tat.. Then I will test the b.m .. So far I bought tompee warmer...

Hi all,

Can I just check how u all heat up the bm? For me, I put close to boiling temp water ( those keep in hot flask) in a cup and then put the cold ebm bottle in. Sometimes I put in the cup for too long and it become too hot for baby to drink so I take out and put in normal temp for it to cool down to the right temp before I gave baby.

My question is will the hot water kill some of the nutrients in the bm?? If just use warm water, it will take very long to warm up the milk.
do not use boiling water , it will affect the contents in bm.

if you think the milk take longer time to warm , change the water twice to warm faster.

andieluv2

i read.from kelly mom that if its fresh pumped ebm (not previously frozen ebm) if baby cannot finish its actually okay to put bck to fridge and feed with 1hr. its okay to reheat juz that everytime u heat up ebm, some good nutrients will be gone for me, as long as my bb cannot finish, i will chose to.keep in fridge rather than.leaving it.in room temp as singapore weather.is hot and warm temp acctually ebcourage bacteria growth. but if.u.put in fridge with below 4 degreea, it actually slows down bateria growth which is actually safer for baby. even thou there are bacteria in babies saliva in the half fed ebm, but our ebm has antibodies, hence its still safe to keep for awhile and feed again. unlike fm which does not have the.antibodies property, hence if unfinish need to discard immediately. hope it answer ur doubts.

andieluv2

btw, try not to keep ur ebm in the warmer for too long. even thou ppl say warming things kills bacterias etc. but.its not true for warmer. if u BOIL things at 100degrees, YES, it kills bacteria. but most warmer will warm milk to only 41 degrees which is actually a good temp for bacteria to grow. not too cold nor hot. thou recommended that ebm can keep in room temp for 4hrs. but in sg weather is hot so.i will juz.keep for 2-3hrs to be safe. alternatively keep all unfinish milk bck to fridge but definitely u.let it.chill to room temp first before putting bck to.fridge.

Shirix

Thanks all for the explanation but I still quite unsure of how the warmer work. For the warmer to warm the milk to 41 degree, won't you need a higher temp water to warm it? For example, I took out my ebm from the fridge, the ebm will be about 6-7degree. I put it in the warmer and also pour normal temp water as requested, the warmer will heat up the water to certain temp so that it will warm the ebm to 41 degree right?

And from the Avent website, one of the feature is controlled steam heats quickly and evenly. Does it mean that the Warner use the water to heat up to 100 degree ( so that it will become steam) and then use it to warm the ebm?

ourjollycompanion

Try not to use boiling water. Warmer is good to have, as you can adjust the temperature, some even with timing. If not, just warm water in a bowl will do as well. Do take note of the time too, as sometime the milk get too hot for baby. It's good to always check temperature before feeding. :)

Rodorsany

I dun use warmer... Just put in a bigger mug with warm water... I use water from my thermal flask add.some cooled boiled water... I will swirl e btl once in a while.n change water.. As my bb feeds every 4hrs i will prep ard 20mins in adv.. If cant finish i will stomach it. Dun wanna waste it

If freshly pump.. Unfinished i also stomach it... Lol anyway now my bb finishes every drop liao

bananagurita

From what i read, use water that is more or less 40deg to warm the milk (not higher than 40deg coz it will kills of the nutrients in the bm). The ebm doesnt need to reach 40deg, afterall our own body temperature is only ard 36-37 right?
For me i'll gauge based on my own freshly expressed ebm. How warm it was when it was just expressed out, roughly i'll warm the chilled ebm to that temp :)

andieluv2

i think warmer has a thermal sensor in it and can sense how warm the water needs to be. i ever use a therometer to check the water in the warmer whn the timmer beeps. its 40-41 degrees. and i have another pigeon warmer that indicate the temp. so i.am.pretty sure that most warmer warms up to 40 degrees and not higher.