Ways Ofl Increasing Milk Supply

Vone

Hi Mummies

What are the ways to increase milk supply. I'm having confinement now and currently im only able to express 80ml of milk every 2 hrs sometimes lesser. I'm latching baby directly on too. But pump out for my hb to feed baby during the day >_<

How did some mummies manage to get more then 1 litre of milk supply a day ?

Please Advise

Vone

haha loves no la!! im only thinking how mummies can increase their supply until 1 litre so much! My baby very hungry =( He keep waking up and scream for milk! Faints like 1 hr once im thinking is it coz my milk supply too low tats why he kept waking up for milk. It gets very tiring esp at nite

LoVeS

haha loves no la!! im only thinking how mummies can increase their supply until 1 litre so much! My baby very hungry =( He keep waking up and scream for milk! Faints like 1 hr once im thinking is it coz my milk supply too low tats why he kept waking up for milk. It gets very tiring esp at nite

if ur BM not enuff gif him abit of FM lor, no pt he keep hungry n every 1 hr wan feed. Damn tiring for u de lor

Agnes Josephine

actually, when they're less than 1 month old, it's feed on demand... meaning they'll gets hungry every 1-2 hours... Actually if you wanna increase your milk supply, maybe you can try pumping every 2-3 hours? Demand = Supply... Or you can drink fish soup with green papaya?

but after that phase, it will be much more easier to fix a routine for your baby... that's what I did...

or you can do what Loves suggested... Give half BM half FM... Hope it helps... Just my 2 cents worth though... :)

LoVeS

yeah fish wif papaya soup helps coz i rmb when i wanna reduce my BM end up my mil still make papaya wif fish soup for me end up engorgement bcome even more jialat :tlaugh:

If not enuff u haf to gif abit FM bo bian one unless u wan every1hr feed lor. Not enuff milk will make him hungry faster. 1hr per feed is way too fast liao...normally is every 3hrs per feed for his age.

Agnes Josephine

yeah fish wif papaya soup helps coz i rmb when i wanna reduce my BM end up my mil still make papaya wif fish soup for me end up engorgement bcome even more jialat :tlaugh:

If not enuff u haf to gif abit FM bo bian one unless u wan every1hr feed lor. Not enuff milk will make him hungry faster. 1hr per feed is way too fast liao...normally is every 3hrs per feed for his age.

that's not true, Viki... Now Vone's baby only 2 weeks + old... It's still feed on demand... Can only slowly change to every 3 hourly after 1 month (I think)... But of cuz, it varies from baby to baby...

Vone

Got take papaya and fish soup but not regularly sighs due to some confinement reasons...

I tried to pump after latching him on but sometimes abt 30~1hr later he will wake up for his next feed again. there goes my slp time >_<

Agnes Josephine

Got take papaya and fish soup but not regularly sighs due to some confinement reasons...

I tried to pump after latching him on but sometimes abt 30~1hr later he will wake up for his next feed again. there goes my slp time >_<

Vone, it's normal... That's what happen to me too... Think it happens to all mummies... The initial stage is really very tiring, but as he grows older, it will be better... So just bear with it 1st... :)

Agnes Josephine

Maybe you & your dh or any of your family members can have rotating shifts so that you can have more sleep... That's what me & my dh did.. I looked after my ds during the day & he looked after during the night... My shift starts from 7+ 8+am till around 9+pm... Then my dh will take over me from 9+pm till I wake up the next morning...

Just bear with it... :)

Vone

i'm wondering if i pump out after latching him on then when he cry for milk ~ how... will have enuff supply anot..

Tiring lor lol the past few nites i latch him on until fell asleep..

Vone

hehe I'm looking after my ds myself and my hb also help out. We agreed on shifts too but there's really a limit to what he can do coz im breastfeeding baby. Unless im pump it out then hb will feed him

Agnes Josephine

hehe I'm looking after my ds myself and my hb also help out. We agreed on shifts too but there's really a limit to what he can do coz im breastfeeding baby. Unless im pump it out then hb will feed him

then pump it out to let your dh to bond with your son too... @ least you can rest for a while...

I only know some of the mummies I know during their confinement, they can store up to 100+ bags of EBM in their freezers... So more pumping = more supply...

LoVeS

that's not true, Viki... Now Vone's baby only 2 weeks + old... It's still feed on demand... Can only slowly change to every 3 hourly after 1 month (I think)... But of cuz, it varies from baby to baby...
PD at hospital told me tat bb even frm born should feed 3hrly if bb is feed enuff.

LoVeS

Maybe you & your dh or any of your family members can have rotating shifts so that you can have more sleep... That's what me & my dh did.. I looked after my ds during the day & he looked after during the night... My shift starts from 7+ 8+am till around 9+pm... Then my dh will take over me from 9+pm till I wake up the next morning...

Just bear with it... :)
ur dh take care of ds 9pm+ onwards? He doesnt need to work ah?

sleepymama

Hi Vone

Hang in there! The first few months are the most tiring months. If you strongly believe in breastfeeding, my advice is NOT to supplement with FM. Because every ml of FM you give your baby, she (he?) is getting that one ml lesser of bm. And we all know bm is best milk:red:, it has all the nutrients your baby needs that FM CANNOT replicate.

To stimulate supply and meet demand, the only way is to let baby latch on whenever he cries for milk. Your body will regulate and adjust with time. Some mommies take about 6 wks, some slightly longer or shorter, for milk to be established. Right now, to ensure you have enough bm for your baby, latching on without any supplement is the best way. Baby's suckling will stimulate production of milk during the first few months - this is very important to get the milk glands stimulated.

My boy, now 16 months, was also on an hourly feed routine during the first two months. I felt like a cow on 'call' 24 hours! :tlaugh:So ya, I can understand how tiring it is for you! When baby sleeps, you should go sleep too. Get help with all the housework, just make sure you get sufficient rest... this way, you will enjoy breastfeeding and bonding with your little one more!

And yes, take heart, the duration between feed WILL lengthen with time. Follow baby's clues on demand, not the clock. You're doing great, enjoy your time with your new baby! Congrats! :)

jopeck

BMSG Moderator
PD at hospital told me tat bb even frm born should feed 3hrly if bb is feed enuff.
the pd isn't breastfeeding knowledgable!

imagine... your newborn baby's tummy is the size of a walnut or his/her fist. Its small... Breastmilk is designed to be one of the most easily digested substances on earth - full of everything a little baby needs. Combine the two factors and you have a baby that needs (not wants) to eat very often.

During the first 6 weeks, it is recommended that you do *not* pump. Why? you need to establish your milk supply and that is best done by feeding on demand. I have heard of mothers who pumped very early on and got so discouraged at the amts they were seeing that they gave up. Again, remember how big the baby's stomach is... do you really need that much milk to fill it up?

2 things I always highly recommend to my friends when they decide to breastfeed :-

1. Get rid of all the clocks! watch your baby and respond to the baby... not the clock. Personally, I got very agitated when I realised how often I was nursing but if I didn't pay attention to the time, I was perfectly happy making my new pride and joy happy.

2. Learn how to nurse lying down ASAP. During the first 6 weeks, your full time job is to recover from the birth and feed the baby! that's it. Lying down is an excellent way to do both. Many times I just dozed off next to baby so we both got our much needed rest! I kept my handphone, books, vcds, cds and the tv close by so I could stay entertained while I was awake.

also, bear in mind that there is a special hormone that makes u sleepy when you nurse so dozing off is not a bad thing. You're just obeying your body's needs. :)