weight gain and baby kicking

xiaobb

Alpha Male
Hi all mummies,

my wife is now estimated in her 20wks but her weight gain is only 3kg, pls advised is this normal? As i can see that she doesnt really eat alot than normal.

can anyone described how you feel when the baby kicks? my wife sae that sometime she feel a small ache in the stomach area is this baby kicking?

Thank you for all the advice and help

diymummy

Hi xiaobb,

Overall weight gain during pregnancy should be between 10-15kg. If your wife experienced bad morning sickness during her first trim, she could have lost some weight then and then now starting to put some weight back on, thus the seemingly slow weight gain. As long as she is eating nutriously and healthily, not skipping meals and filling her tummy when she is hungry, it should be ok. She can drink milk to boost the weight gain.

During my 20wks, I only feel the baby's kick here and there. Most times I'm not sure if it was the baby kicking or I was sitting in a bad position or what. The kicks became more obvious after my 25th week and my husband could literally see the baby kicking and feel the kicks too when he places his hand on my tummy.

Your wife should be going for a detailed scan soon during 20 weeks and you can see the baby's movements during that scan. You should be able to tell the gender too if your baby is not shy. :)

Ting

hmm, as long as your baby is gaining weight, u shldnt be worrying abt ur wife not gaining weight(im sure she would be happy too). :)
in my 2nd tri, abt 4th mth onwards til my 8th mth, i think i only gain 1 kg or less per mth..
n first tri i lost 3 kgs.
so i think, it is ok, her weight will be picking up in the last tri. :)

Verona's

Hi all mummies,

my wife is now estimated in her 20wks but her weight gain is only 3kg, pls advised is this normal? As i can see that she doesnt really eat alot than normal.

can anyone described how you feel when the baby kicks? my wife sae that sometime she feel a small ache in the stomach area is this baby kicking?

Its fine to gain around 3 kg at 20 weeks :) If i am not wrong i gained less than 5 kg in my 20 weeks :) Like what diymummy said milk can helps & also gynae did mention about it & asked me to drink 2 cups of milk so by a month of milk drinking , i gained 3 kg . if you are worried , you can asked your wife to drink more milk :) Those specially for pregnant , was drinking enfamama & don't really like it because of the taste , i think Mamil one is still ok alot mummies recommend annum :)

at 20 weeks i felt quickening only , only when baby get into a postion when i could feel her small kicks :) but usual won't be able to see unless you are observing her tummy & very luckily she kick . But by 24 weeks you could see the difference , & should be able to feel it or see it more often :) Goodluck :D

TANZHENZHI

Xiaobb, i think the weight gain is not a big problem. As long the doc say the baby is in good health and gaining so you shouldn't worry about your wife not gaining weight. Like what others mummy say drinking milk and soya is really good. I drink 1cup of soya milk evryday when i go to work and my weight gain more than 20kg, but as i am quite big size so the doc say my weight gain is average. I can only feel baby kicking when I'm 5-6months pregnant. It'll be more obvious when baby is 7-8months. ;) Take care.

angelwendy

Actually u don't have to worry about ur wife not gaining weight... cause my gynae say as long as the baby is growing well inside should be ok.... for me till now 27 weeks... i onli gain about 5-6kg.. also not consider much.. but my baby weight is very healthy.... if ur wife morning sickness is very bad.. maybe u wanna let her gynae know... so that he can give her some medicine to make her feel better....

As for the kick...:001_302: i felt my baby when i reach 20 weeks... if it was ur first baby... u might get confuse.... is like something poking the tummy.. very light feel onli... slowly u will feel stronger ....:001_302:

smilly00

Hello
I'm not quite sure if you mean while in your womb or a newborn baby?

When pregnant some moms feel the baby moving already as early as in week 13 - 15, while other feel nothing until after week 20. It's both normal. Often first time moms-to-be have to wait longer before they feel the baby, simply because they don't know what it feels like.

A newborn baby can kick right from the start, but usually doesn't start using his legs more consciously until he is a couple of months old. Some babies jumps up and down in your lap when three months old others don't at all at that age.

If you're worried for some reason about your baby's development, check with his health provider at his next check-up.

Hihi,

I think as long as the fetus is growing well (your Gynae will check), you don't have to be unduly worried. My neighbour had terrible MS up till 7 or 8 months and she was not able to down food, but her baby was growing and she delivered a healthy baby boy :)

In any case, fetuses grow most exponentially during last tri, surely your wife will put on some more weight by then..

xiaobb

Alpha Male
thanks to all mummies and mum-to-be for ur advice. Think my wife and i feel much better after hearing from you all. Thank you.

iwan2noe

Hello
I'm not quite sure if you mean while in your womb or a newborn baby?

When pregnant some moms feel the baby moving already as early as in week 13 - 15, while other feel nothing until after week 20. It's both normal. Often first time moms-to-be have to wait longer before they feel the baby, simply because they dont't know what it feels like.

A newborn baby can kick right from the start, but usually doesn't start using his legs more consciously until he is a couple of months old. Some babies jumps up and down in your lap when three months old others dont't at all at that age.

If you're worried for some reason about your baby's development, check with his health provider at his next check-up.
yeah, i agree. Different baby react and behave differently. Esp 1st time mum, they would usually experience their bb kicking ard 23 wks onwards. I only experience them from 24th wks onwards and the intensity increase as days passes by.

Until now I gained ard 11kg when I am now in 31 ++ wks for my pregnancy.
Wishing all mtbs a smooth and enjoyable pregnancy ! :)

Last edited:

shinexuan

Hi all mummies,

Hi xiaobb, i also lost 3 kgs in 1st tri due to MS, 2nd tri then slowly gain back wgt... now i am at my 3rd tri.. i eat like a BULL... haha... think its the hormones changing in our body...

wrt to baby movemts, initially (also abt 20th wk i think) the feeling is like got butterfly flapping wings in my tummy... amazing feeling! then some days the feeling is like you are hungry and ur tummy goes grooo.. grooo.. tt kind of feeling... these are wat i exp back then.

Pregnancy journey is acty pretty interesting and fun.... tho can be tiring and like going 'sufferings' like that cos of the MANY changes at diff period of time.. but overall its awesome! enjoy it with your wife ya! and oh.... be there for her no matter wat... it will definitely help her, ur baby and u 2's relationship! add oil! :Dancing_tongue:

WinnieL

the important thing is that the baby is healthy, and of normal growth range. People often say that my tummy is small for 7 months, but doctor says my baby is of normal size, and is growing steadily. So it's not a worry.

So don't be bothered by other people's comments about your tummy.

angelwendy

the important thing is that the baby is healthy, and of normal growth range. People often say that my tummy is small for 7 months, but doctor says my baby is of normal size, and is growing steadily. So it's not a worry.

So dont't be bothered by other people's comments about your tummy.

yup i agree.. when i was 5 mths pregnant... others also say can't see.... but just dont care...:001_302:

delldoown

After several weeks of frequent and sporadic movements, feeling stronger and more similar to the should be a clear free kick and movement. If this is your first pregnancy, the baby may be more difficult to feel the first move. In subsequent pregnancies, many women are more able to distinguish these movements from similar feelings or small bubbles butterflies in your stomach.

maneo0302

After several weeks of frequent and sporadic movements, feeling stronger and more similar to the should be a clear free kick and movement. If this is your first pregnancy, the baby may be more difficult to feel the first move. In subsequent pregnancies, many women are more able to distinguish these movements from similar feelings or small bubbles butterflies in your stomach.
Probably this is my first pregnancy, that's y i can't distinguish. I don't feel bubbles, except for gas (same like when I feel hungry). Not sure if this is the one.