Weird fever virus?

Ivy Miao

Hi mummy,

My son had high fever at 39.5deg, 1week ago and had already recover after taking anti biotic and fever syrups. And today, I brought him to my sister place just this afternoon and he came back home with another high fever.

This afternoon, he was so afraid of my sister and her baby. Crying real hard. Never want them to touch him. Sister is preggy and her daughter is 9mths old. I'm wondering what causes his start of his fever. It's just a virus or he really got scared??

apollo

I dont believe that one will get fever when they got frightened of sth. And what is there to be afriad of (i mean ur sis n her girl)? Give him med. If the fever is way too high, pls bring him to a PD or A&E! Only doctors can diagnose what causes the fever, not us. =)

huihui32

hi. my son also got fever. he is in the child care so fever virus wil pass here and there. which he hit hight fever like 40.2 . and i was at AnE . but do u know what . the doc just release him say he can go back home already. i told him he is having fever at 40.2 degree already/ the doc just replay say it normal for kid to have fever at that point. and told me that just bring back ur son when he hit up ti 41 degree. . which make me so angry /
but after taking medi the fever drop but after 5 hours the fever come back again and the fever just go down and go up again and again. till about 5days den my son is recover.

apollo

hi. my son also got fever. he is in the child care so fever virus wil pass here and there. which he hit hight fever like 40.2 . and i was at AnE . but do u know what . the doc just release him say he can go back home already. i told him he is having fever at 40.2 degree already/ the doc just replay say it normal for kid to have fever at that point. and told me that just bring back ur son when he hit up ti 41 degree. . which make me so angry /
but after taking medi the fever drop but after 5 hours the fever come back again and the fever just go down and go up again and again. till about 5days den my son is recover.
Di the doc prescribe fever med lik nurofen to ur son? or did he said what caused ur son to have such a high fever? last time ds had high fever to 39.7 and we sent him bk to Mt A A&E and got the staff to call his pd bk. And his pd also didnt admit him to hospital cos he found the cause (which was flu) and gave him nurofen and other med.

huihui32

he only give me is the fever syrup. and told me is normal. cos my this son after going in childcare is like every months fever. so to me fever is norma already. den the very recent fever i went to poly . when they take his blood test found out that his white blood cell is very high. so go to go to A&e. but after sent him to A&E. the doc see him and take and check his lung. but after that say can discharge which he is still on 40.2 degree. hai.

ping26

I thought viral fever is like that. Fever goes up & down for abt 2-3 days for the common flu. Once fever medn wears off in 4-6 hrs, the temperature returns as the child's body is still fighting the infection. Medication is prescribed for fever & other symptoms. Antibiotics should be prescribed only if there is bacterial infection or high risk of secondary bacterial infection.

Going A&E is to get certain tests done as persistent high fever associated with some conditions such as dengue fever, can become life-threatening in a matter of hours for children below 5 years old.

If you baby has very poor appetite and/or very lethargic, must see PD again.
If the fever medication is not working (temperature not dropping), must see doc quickly too.

If your baby looks cheerful, the doc will say "he's ok" even if there is fever (as long as temperature doesn't keep going up).

Hope your baby gets well soon!

Last edited:

apollo

Son fever is gone.. But the phlegm.. Just doesn't go away!! Hmpf!
usually phlegm will take longer time to fully subside. for ds, even his cough, flu, fever are all gone, phlegm will takes abt 1-2 MORE weeks to subside. was told by pd that this is normal. =)

Ivy Miao

usually phlegm will take longer time to fully subside. for ds, even his cough, flu, fever are all gone, phlegm will takes abt 1-2 MORE weeks to subside. was told by pd that this is normal. =)
Oooo... Thanks! They don't spit the phlegm out.. Soooo, they shit out??

apollo

yes they will either spit or poo the phlegm out. u noe sometimes when the phlegm is in their mouth but they swallow in again? those phlegm they swallon in again will also be poo out. =)

Yup, if u see sticky strands of stuff in their poo, do not panic. If you feel that the cough is getting a little chesty, you can do some chest physio for your kids to facilitate the release of phlegm. Just cup your hands, and tap gently and rythmically on the shoulder blades. If unsure, ask your PD how to.

bingbing

hi , i try to gove my sons YU REN SHENG cough & phlegm powder when there is a prolong cough condition after recover from sore throat & fever. It works well and not expensive too. i feel that after taking too much english medicine, the lungs have to be taken care with chinese medicine so that re-laps dun come back easily with a strong lung and throat.

However, we much judge each child differently. for example my elder son can take chinese medicine but my younger one can't. the condition will get worst with chinese medicine.

Ivy Miao

I bought the Hou Ning POwder from Yu Ren seng.. That small tiny bottle that cost $66. No effect. Just brought him to see Yu Ren Sheng clinic at Sembawang.. Hopefuly he gets better!

Frenchkitty

According to MOH release, there is a flu virus passing around, incidences of people who has caught RI (resp infections) is higher than the same period last year.
In my son's school, so many kids are ill, runny nose, cough, phlegm, fever.

So take heart and be careful of your children's health. Best to keep them away from school during this CNY period .. better to miss a few days of school than miss out CNY celebrations