What carbo to give besides porridge and cereal?

snowbear

My DD's 9 months old and was eating porridge and cereal very well but since last Friday she has been rejecting both. I've tried various ways of preparing the porridge and cereal but she just refuses to eat. Recently I made wheat pancake with fruit puree for her and she's willing to eat it. But i can't be feeding her only wheat pancakes every day for every semisolid food meal... I need some help... :(

VroomVroomBoys

Alpha Male
snowbear said:
My DD's 9 months old and was eating porridge and cereal very well but since last Friday she has been rejecting both. I've tried various ways of preparing the porridge and cereal but she just refuses to eat. Recently I made wheat pancake with fruit puree for her and she's willing to eat it. But i can't be feeding her only wheat pancakes every day for every semisolid food meal... I need some help... :(
For the carbo-loading, you can try pasta ... as in macaroni of all shapes & colours, even spaghetti ... cooked in home-make chicken or fish broth. My son loves it, especially when served together with carrot & celery.

If this still doesn't do the trick, boil & mash sweet potatoes ... or potatoes (mixed with pumpkin for sweetness).
:wink: :wink:

autumn82

Yea snowbear, you can try those ABC pastas or even Bellamy's Organic Pasta Stars which is small enuff as wat VVB has suggested. Mashed potatoes wif carrots also not bad.. Iggy loves it but MIL said dun feed too much potatoes otherwise wait overweight. LOL.

Besides that cous cous also can be given. It is also somewhat similar to pasta and it is fine enuff and healthy!

Hope it helps. :)

VroomVroomBoys

Alpha Male
autumn82 said:
Mashed potatoes wif carrots also not bad.. Iggy loves it but MIL said dun feed too much potatoes otherwise wait overweight. LOL.
This is not true lah ... we eat rice (porridge), angmos eat potatoes ... but what really cause overweight in angmos are the fast food lah.
:biggrin: :biggrin:

snowbear

For the carbo-loading, you can try pasta ... as in macaroni of all shapes & colours, even spaghetti ... cooked in home-make chicken or fish broth. My son loves it, especially when served together with carrot & celery.

If this still doesn't do the trick, boil & mash sweet potatoes ... or potatoes (mixed with pumpkin for sweetness).
haiz, Alicia doesn't like stuff in broth. She doesn't like mashed potatoes either. Dunno why recently also not really eating her sweet potatoes. She used to love em.

VroomVroomBoys

Alpha Male
snowbear said:
haiz, Alicia doesn't like stuff in broth. She doesn't like mashed potatoes either. Dunno why recently also not really eating her sweet potatoes. She used to love em.
Does she like cheese or mayo?
If she does, then cook the pasta & mix it in melted fondue cheese ... for mayo, you can even make your own if you want.

VroomVroomBoys

Alpha Male
autumn82 said:
Ya.. Too much carbO! :tlaugh: But Iggy not as chubby as Belle.. So sadz...
Girl ... you need to study Health Education again.

Carbo is energy food ... it doesn't make you fat if you exercise.
For babies, especially if they are the hyper type, then all the more you need to feed them with carbo ... only the unburnt carbo will be converted into fats.

If Iggy is not as chubby, then I suggest you load him up with more carbo ... from what I can see, he crawls here & he rolls there ... by the time he burnt up all those energy, what would he have excess to be chubby?
Compared to your girl, she may not be as hyper back then (just like most other girls) ... that's why the same stuff you fed Iggy nowadays was enough for your girl to still be chubby.

Lastly, when I mentioned fast-food earlier, I was referring to the oil in all that fried stuff ... be it french fries or beef patty or fish fillet or chicken drumstick etc.
:beek: :beek:

autumn82

Girl ... you need to study Health Education again.

Carbo is energy food ... it doesn't make you fat if you exercise.
For babies, especially if they are the hyper type, then all the more you need to feed them with carbo ... only the unburnt carbo will be converted into fats.

If Iggy is not as chubby, then I suggest you load him up with more carbo ... from what I can see, he crawls here & he rolls there ... by the time he burnt up all those energy, what would he have excess to be chubby?
Compared to your girl, she may not be as hyper back then (just like most other girls) ... that's why the same stuff you fed Iggy nowadays was enough for your girl to still be chubby.

Lastly, when I mentioned fast-food earlier, I was referring to the oil in all that fried stuff ... be it french fries or beef patty or fish fillet or chicken drumstick etc.
:beek: :beek:
:err::err::err: Alrite.. Uncle asked me to go bk study, so be it. :tlaugh:

snowbear

Does she like cheese or mayo?
If she does, then cook the pasta & mix it in melted fondue cheese ... for mayo, you can even make your own if you want.
haven't given her cheese or mayo b4. how to make mayo?? Can share the steps of how to go about making the pasta with fondue cheese and how to make mayo?

Daddy D

Alpha Male
So far I just tried the porridge section only. Have yet to venture into the pasta. Prob next week! Heh. :)

How's yr little darling appetite?
Hey Aut... after u have read up... let me know eat wat can help DD to "DA BIAN", ok? Thank u HOR :)

snowbear

So far I just tried the porridge section only. Have yet to venture into the pasta. Prob next week! Heh. :)

How's yr little darling appetite?
Haiz, still a fussy little one... thank God she's still eating pancakes... oh, she has started to eat a teeny weeny bit of bread. Still hates porridge and cereal. Tried mee sua that day but she also dun like. She's latching on more often these days so at least she's trying to make up for her lack of interest in SSF. Lemme noe how Iggy takes to pasta...

Last edited:

VroomVroomBoys

Alpha Male
snowbear said:
haven't given her cheese or mayo b4. how to make mayo?? Can share the steps of how to go about making the pasta with fondue cheese and how to make mayo?
Mayo ... is actually whipped egg yolk.

Cheese ... I introduce cheese very early to Seamus becoz it's an abundant source of calcium (good for bone & teeth development) & vitamin A (good for eyesight development). Now, he even like to pinch from my brie, which mummy says "stink like the pits".

Since your princess hasn't been given cheese before, I suggest you try it out in small proportions first ... not only to see whether she will accept it, but whether she is allergic or not.

Have attached a few pics for your reference:

Picture #1 ... This is the fondue cheese I'm talking about, which you can easily get from NTUC even. This type of cheese taste rich & is easiest to melt ... just cook the macaroni first, then drain ... put the piece of cheese in a frying pan & stir ... once well spread, just off the fire & add in the macaroni & stir. Then, it's done ... just cool & feed.

Picture #2 ... This is how they pack it inside, 8 pieces on 1 layer or more (for the bigger packs that I usually buy). I use one piece for 1 rice-bowl worth of macaroni for Seamus.

Picture #3 ... This is usually used as Seamus' titbits, 1-2 pieces a day. If you think you dun need so much cheese, you can also just use 2 pieces of these for the macaroni. Anyways, note the packing ... this one has a combination of 3 flavours: tomato, ham & plain.

Picture #4 ... This one looks the same but is actually for the cheese connoiseur (like Seamus). Similarly packed with combination of 3 flavours: plain, blue cheese & cheddar, not every child may be able to take it.

Attachments

autumn82

Haiz, still a fussy little one... thank God she's still eating pancakes... oh, she has started to eat a teeny weeny bit of bread. Still hates porridge and cereal. Tried mee sua that day but she also dun like. She's latching on more often these days so at least she's trying to make up for her lack of interest in SSF. Lemme noe how Iggy takes to pasta...
Heh. Give her some times, prob teething? :) Mine has been taking bits of bread daily when I'm having my breakfast.. LOL. Greedy piggy I've.. :)

Mee sua must make sure soak/wash/cook until no salt content wor. Its pretty high in sodium, which is not good for babies yet.

Ok ok, next week update u :)

snowbear

Heh. Give her some times, prob teething? :) Mine has been taking bits of bread daily when I'm having my breakfast.. LOL. Greedy piggy I've.. :)

Mee sua must make sure soak/wash/cook until no salt content wor. Its pretty high in sodium, which is not good for babies yet.

Ok ok, next week update u :)
Yeah, made sure the mee sua not salty before giving her. But i guess she's just not into soupy stuff.

Anyway she's ill la. Kenna flu from her daddy (me too). Just brought her to doc again coz the med didn't work. Hope things pick up soon.

snowbear

Mayo ... is actually whipped egg yolk.

Cheese ... I introduce cheese very early to Seamus becoz it's an abundant source of calcium (good for bone & teeth development) & vitamin A (good for eyesight development). Now, he even like to pinch from my brie, which mummy says "stink like the pits".

Since your princess hasn't been given cheese before, I suggest you try it out in small proportions first ... not only to see whether she will accept it, but whether she is allergic or not.

Have attached a few pics for your reference:

Picture #1 ... This is the fondue cheese I'm talking about, which you can easily get from NTUC even. This type of cheese taste rich & is easiest to melt ... just cook the macaroni first, then drain ... put the piece of cheese in a frying pan & stir ... once well spread, just off the fire & add in the macaroni & stir. Then, it's done ... just cool & feed.

Picture #2 ... This is how they pack it inside, 8 pieces on 1 layer or more (for the bigger packs that I usually buy). I use one piece for 1 rice-bowl worth of macaroni for Seamus.

Picture #3 ... This is usually used as Seamus' titbits, 1-2 pieces a day. If you think you dun need so much cheese, you can also just use 2 pieces of these for the macaroni. Anyways, note the packing ... this one has a combination of 3 flavours: tomato, ham & plain.

Picture #4 ... This one looks the same but is actually for the cheese connoiseur (like Seamus). Similarly packed with combination of 3 flavours: plain, blue cheese & cheddar, not every child may be able to take it.

wow, thanks. Saw the cheese on Sunday but dunno whether to buy or not. In your opinion, should i start with the flavoured cheese (as in pic 3) or just the fondue cheese (pic 1) when first trying out?

VroomVroomBoys

Alpha Male
snowbear said:
wow, thanks. Saw the cheese on Sunday but dunno whether to buy or not. In your opinion, should i start with the flavoured cheese (as in pic 3) or just the fondue cheese (pic 1) when first trying out?
If you're interested in what was shown in picture #3, they also come in non-flavoured ones ... as in the entire pack is "plain".

Choice is really yours ... I never bought the plain ones, as I'm more into letting my sons explore their palates more adventurously.
For example, I've let Seamus share my turtle soup ... & he's particularly into the skins, which is another abundant source of calcium & collagen.

In comparison to what was shown in picture #1, the portions are much bigger ... so, it could go to waste if you are the type of mummy who mind popping the little ones' leftovers into the mouth.
:rofl: :rofl: