What formula for sensitive baby?

blackpiggy

My son has eczema and I've just started him on mix feeding (formula) after 1+ year of total breastfeeding as my supply is dwindling.
However, every time after we fed him the formula he will start to have red and runny eyes and his eczema prone area will become red again. We suspect that he may have milk allergy...
Any experienced mommies know whether is this really milk allergy? Please recommend me formulas which are suitable for sensitive and allergy prone babies (We are feeding him Friso3 now)
Thanks.

marshmallows

Can try NAN HA. HA stands for hypoallergenic and reduces the allergenic potential of cow's milk. Other than NAN, I think I saw Mamex and Enfa also got HA series but dun have 2nd or 3rd step ones like NAN if I remember correctly. HA milk is more bitter though.

Last edited:

Mummy to Baby V

My boy has eczema, soy allergy and was breastfed till 18 months old.
He has no milk allergy, so I weaned him off to fresh cow's milk.

If you suspect cow's milk allergy, perhaps can consider goat's milk.
If really need to pinpoint allergy cause, can go for prick test.

blackpiggy

is goat's milk very different from cow's milk? i was thinking animal milk all about the same, will give a try with the HA milk first.

kireipiggy

Yes Nan HA, my son has enzema too initially. So pd recommend to switch from NAN PRO to NAN HA. And she did mentioned that NAN formula is not sweet so good for babies too.

I considering switching back to NAN coz feels that S26 is abit too sweet for him :)

blackpiggy

Tried HA milk. Son is allergic to it too :(
His eczema is so bad that there's no 1 patch of good skin for the test to be carry out accurately. So dr don't recommend it until his skin clears, but it's very hard for his rash to clear, the more so when his allergy acts up after formula fed.
Going to try soy formula next before goats coz I rem reading somewhere goats milk is lacking in folic acid.

kireipiggy

Tried HA milk. Son is allergic to it too :(
His eczema is so bad that there's no 1 patch of good skin for the test to be carry out accurately. So dr don't recommend it until his skin clears, but it's very hard for his rash to clear, the more so when his allergy acts up after formula fed.
Going to try soy formula next before goats coz I rem reading somewhere goats milk is lacking in folic acid.
Poor boy must be very uncomfortable :( hope soy formula works for him

pixie

I have just switch from Similac to Enfalac for my baby girl who has got out of lactose intolerance. She still spit up so I stick to special formula for acid reflux.
While shopping for formula, I did see soy-based for Friso brand. I reckon Enfalac has soy-based and babies who can't take cow milk.

kireipiggy

I have just switch from Similac to Enfalac for my baby girl who has got out of lactose intolerance. She still spit up so I stick to special formula for acid reflux.
While shopping for formula, I did see soy-based for Friso brand. I reckon Enfalac has soy-based and babies who can't take cow milk.
My son didnt recover after soy based milk (Ls returns after we switch back to HA) afterwhich pd recommend he might Lactose Intolerence. So start him on Enfa LI formula. After LS disappear, back to HA. LS back again and i repeat e whole process(soy-enfa LT- HA) again. He recover to normal after 2nd try.

Thereafter his first birthday i slowly move to Nan Pro and then 2 month later S26 :)

So far so good.

kireipiggy

Hope your girl is recovering by now...

blackpiggy

thanks. boy has been on total breast milk past few days. skin is not so red anymore, going to try him again on HA first before going to soy. really hope he can take HA as soy is so much more exp. (>.<")

blackpiggy

My son didnt recover after soy based milk (Ls returns after we switch back to HA) afterwhich pd recommend he might Lactose Intolerence. So start him on Enfa LI formula. After LS disappear, back to HA. LS back again and i repeat e whole process(soy-enfa LT- HA) again. He recover to normal after 2nd try.

Thereafter his first birthday i slowly move to Nan Pro and then 2 month later S26 :)

So far so good.
I see, its good baby can outgrow their lactose intolerance. So you kept 3 different kinds of formula when you are trying them, must take you quite sometime to finish all 3 tins. I heard my friend says formula after opening cannot keep more than 1, 2 months... so i gave away my almost full tin of Friso3.

kireipiggy

I see, its good baby can outgrow their lactose intolerance. So you kept 3 different kinds of formula when you are trying them, must take you quite sometime to finish all 3 tins. I heard my friend says formula after opening cannot keep more than 1, 2 months... so i gave away my almost full tin of Friso3.
Yes i monitor very closely with my mil & maid's help. After he recover for a week he manage to finish the enfa LT formula but soy formula i threw away almost 2 newly opened tins. Coz pd mentioned boys should not take soy formula as long term diet.

Ultimately it's the poor baby suffering from numerous episodes of LS & constipations. Glad that mine outgrown already. Hope yours get well soon too :)

You can consult your child's pediatrician. But personally, my kids used NAN HA when they had colic with other infant formula.

kireipiggy

Currently on Nestle Nutren after A week of loose stools. The usual Enfa tolerance free formula not available for 1 year and above.

AlenaScott

Babies digestive system is very sensitive and we need to take care of it....I think you should stick with what he is comfortable with....