what if mum is absent from baby

Gif

1) I am going to start work soon and am worried that if I am away from baby from 12 hours a day, will she begin to reject the direct latching if i only latch at night? I know i can express but i enjoy the bonding time with baby.

2) When my baby is 7 months or 8 months old, i will be overseas for a week without her. If i can breast feed till then, do you think she will refuse to latch anymore after a week's absence?

Any mums with such experiences?

By the way, August's issue of Mother and Baby has good tips for mums preparing to return work after maternity leave.

lyra

Is ur baby taking bottles well? Better start training her early in case she rejects bottle! It's a very troublesome problem. Latching at night once u are back home from home is ok.

I've a friend who left her baby for 3 days without latching. He's ok with latching on after that. Not sure about one week but since baby is older by then, she should be able to remember how to latch.

knut29

1) so far my baby is fine that i only latch her at night (and whole day for weekends) while bottle-feeding in the day..

Gif

Thank you! I am just worried that baby will think bottle is faster and decides not to be latched.

Oh dear, anyone know how to store and keep the milk if travelling? I can pump and keep in fridge while i am overseas but the journey back will take 10 over hours, wont the milk spoil?

lyra

You have to ask the air stewardess to help keep in their fridge. Inform airline before boarding. Try not to go on budget air lines. They don't really entertain these additional requests.

engravedx

Hi dear, do take note that you are not allowed to bring liquids of more than 100ml on board the flight. Even if the container is more than 100ml with only 100ml liquid is not allowed as well. The only way is to check in. Best to check with the airline first as to what they can do for you with regards to breastmilk. One week's worth is really alot..

Do keep in mind that refrigerated breastmilk must be consumed within 48 hours as per some guides, but mostly recommended within 24 hours. If you are going to keep longer than that, your breastmilk must be frozen. Once it starts to defrost, it must be consumed within the next 24 hours.

There are cooler bags in the market that is used to transport frozen/chilled breastmilk for hours (not exactly sure how long). But do check with the airline first if they can help you to transport back to singapore or it will be wasted to buy the bag.

If there really is no way, then i would suggest for you to donate the breastmilk to the local hospital. I'm not sure if they do accept but you can check. Better than letting it go to waste yah.

EFW

Hi mummies,

I was confusing on the timing to consume the frozen bm...I noe tat's must b consumed within 24hrs aft finish thawed..but, the 24hrs is counting start from the timing of taking out or aft the bm is completely thawed?

Tis is wat I always confused...worried to give spoilt bm to baby as sometimes over the 24hrs ledi...is the frozen milk different taste, rite? My baby seem likely refuses to hav it...headache lo...:(

Ya, if the warmed bm not consume within 4hrs, it's ok to baby to hav it?

Thanks mummies!

lyra

Another thing to note. If u check in the EBM, better to use milk bags, not bottles as bags save space n bottles r, as you know, breakable and takes up space.

Regarding what time to finish up the breastmilk, you can find detailed info on Kelly Mom or Dr Sears website. Just google for them. I count 24 hrs after breastmilk thawed.

Gif

Oh thank you, :) unfortunately I will be traveling via the coach, that would mean no refrigerator. Sigh, I guess I have to either pump n dump or wean off by then. It really hasn't been easy to stay outdoors and excusing myself to pump.

engravedx

Oh.. I thought by aeroplane. You can try getting a cooler bag. But 1 week supply of milk is alot.. Is thr really a need to keep it for your bb? Since (i assume) you will continue expressing when u come back.. Dont throw away... Very waste T.T Try to see if it is possible to donate instead..

Jode

Hi Give,
I didnt have any problems with bb latching after I was away from her for 2 weeks. So not to worry!

btw, somehow i am unable to reply to your PM. perhaps you can drop me another note with your email address. I will reply you there.

Cheers!