what to buy ????

hello all mtbs currently in my 21wks. hmmm read from some post rgding what are the things to buy which i have taken note of. my question is i am nt sure what are e essential ones/things n what brands??? most mentioned in e post are rompers, milk bottles etc. i would like to know more in details things as follows as i,m @ a lost what are the brands n what kind to get n is it useful to get it? some questions may sound stupid pls pardon me as i,m a 1st x mtb.

1)Milk bottles- think Avent brand is good n i intend to buy it. How many is enuff like mayb 2??? 1 small for water n 1 big for milk??? n also should i get e whole set you know e 1 w e strilizer thingy or just e bottles is gd enuff. got frens told me they juz strilize with boiled hot water.

2)breast pumps-manual or electrical 1? my job requires shift work so i wont b able to bf my bb as much as i want. a manual 1 wld b more suitable for me as i need to bring it with me right or i can pump my milk any time???? eg :mad: hm b4 i lve for work.which is ezier to pump milk?????

3)babywipes/pampers/toiletriesfor bb etc -shld i buy nw or can i buy nw? wld like to save some $ since nw is GSS so was thinking is it to early to buy???? wait e wet towles etc all dry up le by e x i wan use kekkekeke.

will be getting bb cot during this time(GSS) , car seat n playpen given by frens already. Anything major that i may miss out ? Would like to buy some of the things since its GSS . thks all .

perrier

hello all mtbs currently in my 21wks. hmmm read from some post rgding what are the things to buy which i have taken note of. my question is i am not sure what are e essential ones/things and what brands??? most mentioned in e post are rompers, milk bottles etc. i would like to know more in details things as follows as i,m @ a lost what are the brands and what kind to get and is it useful to get it? some questions may sound stupid pls pardon me as i,m a 1st x mtb.

1)Milk bottles- think Avent brand is good and i intend to buy it. How many is enuff like mayb 2??? 1 small for water and 1 big for milk??? and also should i get e whole set you know e 1 w e strilizer thingy or just e bottles is good enuff. got friends told me they just strilize with boiled hot water.

2)breast pumps-manual or electrical 1? my job requires shift work so i wont b able to bf my baby as much as i want. a manual 1 wld b more suitable for me as i need to bring it with me right or i can pump my milk any time???? eg :mad: hm before i lve for work.which is ezier to pump milk?????

3)babywipes/pampers/toiletriesfor baby etc -shld i buy now or can i buy now? wld like to save some $ since now is GSS so was thinking is it to early to buy???? wait e wet towles etc all dry up by e x i want use kekkekeke.

will be getting baby cot during this time(GSS) , car seat and playpen given by friends already. Anything major that i may miss out ? Would like to buy some of the things since its GSS . thks all .
1. Milk bottles - according to Mother & Baby Magazine (May issue), u need at least 6 bottles and 10 teats. I use Avent too. But for me i only have 3 bottles, only use 1 for now. 2 for spare just in case. Also have 1 small one for water. i think Avent sell starter set, maybe you can just get that. Do buy extra teats just in case spoil. For sterilizing, you can either buy a sterilizer (if you are very particular abt hygene), otherwise you can just get a pot to boil the bottles. i use both methods cos' my mother prefers to boil the bottles. Personally i find sterilizing more convenient. :)

oh, you might also want to do some research on what brand of the formula powder you want to choose. :p got quite a lot in the market with various price. :) I am using Friso.

2. I did not breastfeed my baby in the end so not able to advice. During my initial attempt, I bought a electric pump cos' my friend say easier for a first timer.. I would suggest you rent a the pump first to try out. :)

3. I think the toiletries/pampers can buy later. maybe abt the same time when you start to pack your bag to prepare for delivery. I don't think the wipes will dry up provided you don't open it. If got good sales of cos' good to stock up.

Some other things that you will also like to consider:
1. nail clipper for baby
2. baby nose cleaning tweezers - can pick up the solids in the nose. and also roll a sheet of wet wipe or tissue paper at the tips to clean around the nostrils.
3. a rubber mat to place in the bath tub. like that easier to handle the baby when bathing, not so slippery
4. pillows for baby? those with beansprout?
5. Pram?
6. baby carrier?

thks for ur input perrier. went to chk out avent starter kit. abt 8 items in a box kind rite. ntuc selling @ $49. heres my questions.

1) i intend to get e sterilizer . so do i still buy e starter set or shld i buy e milk botts seperately????? or does e sterilizer set itself comes w milk botts n teats together inside????

2) for milk botts got diff sizes rite ?? eg 75ml 330 ml etc does it matters for newborn bbs??? or do we change as bb reaches diff age????? or is it a personal preferce to get small or big

3) teats are o diff sizes rite??? eg s m l ????? do i get e diff sizes or do they have std size that fits all milkbotts n for all bb??? *confusing*

4) any other plc where i can get e above items ( avent brand) @ a cheaper price or ntuc is e best compared to mothercare /kiddy placca etc. frens told me stuff @ mothercare damn exp as compared to other retailers.

appreciate any comments or advice :)

LoveBebe

hello all mtbs currently in my 21wks. hmmm read from some post rgding what are the things to buy which i have taken note of. my question is i am not sure what are e essential ones/things and what brands??? most mentioned in e post are rompers, milk bottles etc. i would like to know more in details things as follows as i,m @ a lost what are the brands and what kind to get and is it useful to get it? some questions may sound stupid pls pardon me as i,m a 1st x mtb.

1)Milk bottles- think Avent brand is good and i intend to buy it. How many is enuff like mayb 2??? 1 small for water and 1 big for milk??? and also should i get e whole set you know e 1 w e strilizer thingy or just e bottles is good enuff. got friends told me they just strilize with boiled hot water.

2)breast pumps-manual or electrical 1? my job requires shift work so i wont b able to bf my baby as much as i want. a manual 1 wld b more suitable for me as i need to bring it with me right or i can pump my milk any time???? eg :mad: hm before i lve for work.which is ezier to pump milk?????

3)babywipes/pampers/toiletriesfor baby etc -shld i buy now or can i buy now? wld like to save some $ since now is GSS so was thinking is it to early to buy???? wait e wet towles etc all dry up by e x i want use kekkekeke.

will be getting baby cot during this time(GSS) , car seat and playpen given by friends already. Anything major that i may miss out ? Would like to buy some of the things since its GSS . thks all .
1. Avent is a good brand. Normally newborn baby doesn't drink alot, so don't really need to buy a big bottle. But always buy spare bottles just in case it's spoilt. I use a pot to boil water for sterilizing.

2. I used a manual pump cos it's for convienent. Cos buying an electric pump out to work is kinda troublesome. Since you have to pump your milk quite often cos it will get pain easily if you don't pump out.

3. Normally as long as the brand of the wet tissue is not bad, it will not dry up so fast. If the price is cheaper, I will buy alot to keep. And they didn't dry up.

Maybe you should prepare milk powder just in case your milk supply is not enough for your baby.
And also pram, diapers, towels, hankies, clothes, mittens, baby tummy binder, cotton balls, beansprouts pillow, rash cream, ruyi oil, baby cap, powder, nail clip/scissor,mattress etc.

perrier

thks for your input perrier. went to chk out avent starter kit. about 8 items in a box kind rite. ntuc selling @ $49. heres my questions.

1) i intend to get e sterilizer . so do i still buy e starter set or shld i buy e milk botts seperately????? or does e sterilizer set itself comes w milk botts and teats together inside????

2) for milk botts got diff sizes rite ?? eg 75ml 330 ml etc does it matters for newborn bbs??? or do we change as baby reaches diff age????? or is it a personal preferce to get small or big

3) teats are o diff sizes rite??? eg s m l ????? do i get e diff sizes or do they have std size that fits all milkbotts and for all baby??? *confusing*

4) any other plc where i can get e above items ( avent brand) @ a cheaper price or ntuc is e best compared to mothercare /kiddy placca etc. friends told me stuff @ mothercare damn exp as compared to other retailers.

appreciate any comments or advice :)
1) i read some where that the sterilizer comes with 2 bottles. not too sure abt it. why don't u get the sterilizer first then see if it comes with bottles then decide how many more bottles u need.

2) i don't think the size of the bottle matters, i started with 260ml one. Like u say i guess it is more of peronal preference

3) the teats are according to the flow rate. i started with No. 2 (soft flow) but when my baby is abt 2mths old, i changed to No 3. (medium flow). for avent, the teats fits any bottles size.

4) my bottles were given as a gift so not sure abt the price. yah, heard mothercare is expensive! recently a lot of departmental stores are having discount, maybe u can get from there? Robinson is having discount + no GST promotion till 14 june. Maybe u can buy from there? I got my teats from there too.

moonfairy

Okay, I have a question. When should I buy a car seat for the baby? Are we allowed to carry the baby in our arms inside the car?

perrier

if you are travelling frequently in the car with your baby, u should get one.

if i am not wrong, under the law age 8 and below will need a car seat.

when carrying the baby, u should only take the rear seat.

uddermummy

electric pumps are better. manual pump can be tiring.

if you're bfing, you may want to get some nipple cream from purelan (medela) or lansinoh. The first can be bought from mums and babes, and the second from mothercare.

nipples may be sensitive and sore so nipple cream will help a lot.

also, to make sure you've got enough milk, it's best to latch baby asap after delivery. Latch bb on every 2 to 3 hours even if you don't seem to have milk cos that will help milk to come in from the 3rd day onwards.

uddermummy

if you are travelling frequently in the car with your baby, you should get one.

if i am not wrong, under the law age 8 and below will need a car seat.

when carrying the baby, you should only take the rear seat.
eh, i think once bb comes home from hospital, it will have to be in a car seat. you don't need car seat if you are travelling by taxi.

electric pumps are better. manual pump can be tiring.

if you're bfing, you may want to get some nipple cream from purelan (medela) or lansinoh. The first can be bought from mums and babes, and the second from mothercare.

nipples may be sensitive and sore so nipple cream will help a lot.

also, to make sure you've got enough milk, it's best to latch baby asap after delivery. Latch baby on every 2 to 3 hours even if you dont't seem to have milk cos that will help milk to come in from the 3rd day onwards.

thks for your info ubbermummy will get the nipple cream. rgding the breast pump as i,m working on a shift work basis shld i get manual or eletric still? i, still confuse hw this bf works. this is wat i think if i,m leaving for work is it possible to pump out some milk for reserve so dat my mum can use for bb feeding @ a later time when i.m nt ard? can we also pump any time we want? but if this is nt possible that means i,l have to bring along my breast pump oso for work ? heard 1 incident b4 wherby my gf was attending wedding half way n i tink her breast milk came or sth so she got to rush home immed i was like huh?????? if boh bian then i have to resort to bf + milk formula ??? pls advise. thks a mil

thks for your info ubbermummy will get the nipple cream. rgding the breast pump as i,m working on a shift work basis shld i get manual or eletric still? i, still confuse hw this bf works. this is what i think if i,m leaving for work is it possible to pump out some milk for reserve so dat my mum can use for baby feeding @ a later time when i.m not around? can we also pump any time we want? but if this is not possible that means i,l have to bring along my breast pump also for work ? heard 1 incident before wherby my gf was attending wedding half way and i tink her breast milk came or something so she got to rush home immed i was like huh?????? if boh bian then i have to resort to bf + milk formula ??? pls advise. thks a mother in law

as above any comments? and also wat brand shall i get if its manual or eletric. thks all.

pink_daisy

for the milk bottle teats, i tink they got indication suitable for how many mths old baby usage.. try to find the same brand for ur milk bottle teats as per ur milk bottle..

for wet tissues, u can try pigeon or pureen brand... actually wet tissue not much of an issue as long as can clean ur baby's bottom..

for diapers, u can stock up some newborn diapers but not too much incase ur baby's bottom sensitive to the diapers..(just like we gals r sensitive to certain sanitary pads) u can stock up on some S-size diapers oso..

get ready some bibs so u can put on for ur baby when feeding..since nw got GSS, u can get some clothings for baby (if u know baby's gender)

don get too many milk powder incase ur baby cant take.. u can buy smaller tins (if they have)

for big items, mayb u can consider getting a pram, a walker or a highchair (can be use to sit baby during feeding time when baby is slightly older) is ur baby gg to sleep in the yao lan besides the cot, if yes u can oso get one.. another thing to consider buying is the sarong sling or baby carrier so u can carry ur baby when u go out.. how abt the bean sprout pillow? or any comfort pillow/ toy for ur baby? r u getting any?

buy some milk pads coz u don wan to stain ur clothes shld the milk leaks.. breast milk comes abt 4days (average) after birth.

babymiki2003

yah! the list is just getting longer!!

i saw from another thread that the babies dont seem to like sleeping in baby cot... should get or not ??...cos the cot is also big ticket item.

ya..same reason...that i did not get a cot.
its quite expensive and if my baby does not want to sleep in it...its really a waste of $ and space at home
so i bought a mattress

breast pump, i think electric one really better....manual is really tiring and needs technique

i bought a pigeon steam steriliser, about 4pigeon milk bottles one small one for drinking water. handkerchief. cotton bud and cotton stick for cleaning the delicate eyes n naval.. mittens .. receiveng blanket

some rompers, singlets for home wear..kodomo laundry liquid. i borrowed breast pump from frens.nappy cream etc oh ya i stock up on diapers n baby wipes cos newborn pass motion quite often especially breast feeding

babylegs

The whole forum is already quite long so I will just post whatever I know here. Hope it's helpful..

Regarding the breastmilk coming out of the breasts, this is unfortunately a very real problem but it usually happens only when the mother is breastfeeding on one side.. for this, both medela and avent has a product called: Milk Collection Shells. For more infor, you can google or yahoo both of them.

If you need to pump breastmilk regularly, my advice is to not go for the manual ones as they are very tiring. Electric ones are better. Also, it's best to get double pumps as that would save you time.

For baby wipes, I would recommend the brand:prince Lion Heart. This is a sort of dispenser that would warm your wipes. So instead of the normal wipes( that are cold), your baby would have nice warm wipes.