What to buy

ellyeun

At 19wks,
What should we start buying, to prepare for baby?!?!
Clothes? Cot? pram? Diapers? OR what? when will be appropriate time to start buying all these stuffs?

can mommies advise? hehe thanks

PTB7476

i only bought cot, playpen, sterilizer, 3 long sleeve vest, 2 bean spout pillow and bedding set and had stopped since then :tlaugh:

Jaschy

Hehe i also dont koe what i sld buy now.. just started to buy some clothes and handkerchief for my baby girl.. tink car seat and pram can wait rite? since baby is not going to used it so soon?:Dancing_tongue:

minako85

At 19wks,
Clothes? Cot? pram? Diapers? OR what? when will be appropriate time to start buying all these stuffs?

I already bought a baby cot.. N small stuffs like mittens. Few pieces of newborn clothes, bibs... I think u can start buying some small stuffs first if nt one shot buy altogether will headache cuz alot lol.... Pram n car seat can stl wait...

anna evelyn loi

i've already bought the stearliser and breast pump from taka fair. seems like i am very kiasu. will start buying the rest of the items during my third trimester:Dancing_tongue:

lekdao

Can start buying small items like clothing, mitten, booties etc.
Start to look ard for big items like cot, stroller etc. If there are promotion/sales for cot, can buy first and deliver when is nearer to your due date.

My cot was delivered on the day i gave birth. LOL

pinkapple

actually it'll be good if you can get 2nd hand stuff in good condition.
esp cot. cot is quite x and most cot are very lasting so a 2nd hand should be value-for-$

pinkapple

other baby stuff, wait for those departmental store sale. usually 20% off.

I buy most baby stuff, including pram, during these sales.

jeinthiangel

For myself , from 20weeks onwards, I bought milk bottles, new teats, newborn clothes,wrapping blankets,bibs, mittens booties, cap, milk btl sterliser, milk btl warmer.

Some handme downs I am about to get are carseat, babycot, but all these will be during my last few weeks i am collecting.

Breast pump I am going to wait till i deliver then try the hospital ones to see which suit me best before attempting to buy.

Think now You can source for your confinement lady and your massage lady as well as these 2 must put deposit in advance to book.

baby toiletries can wait till last trimester as well coz i think there is gona be another baby fair in expo in November..

P4nic

i haven buy those stuffs that come with warranty coz still got a few mths more to my EDD.. dont wan to waste the warranty which starts from date of purchase hehe..

ellyeun

thanks every1!!!!
Manage to go taka to get the sterilizer and breast pump! some hand me down bb clothes and also bib!

Just find everything sooo ex!!!! :nah:
bb is really expensive !

Jaschy

thanks every1!!!!
Manage to go taka to get the sterilizer and breast pump! some hand me down baby clothes and also bib!

Just find everything sooo ex!!!! :nah:
baby is really expensive !
yah i agree.. my sister keep saying dun have to buy things so early.. but i am thinking if i buy all the stuff together i will be very very "xin tong" lor.. so i better buy a bit at a time especially those big items so i will not feel so much of the pinch.. hehe:Dancing_tongue:

apollo

At 19wks,

i think as soon as u noe ur bb's gender, can start to buy abit here and there alrdy. cos as u enter 3rd tri, tummy getting bigger and will be quite tiring to go ard shopping for stuffs..

things that u might need to get: cot/playpen, steriliser, milk bottles, BM container for EBM, breastpump, pram..

for bb cot, u can ask ur frens/relatives if they have pass down one.. cos cot is easier to clean, so can use pass down one. =)

Justina

At 19wks,

Hello Ellyeun,

I know every expectant mother will be very tempted to buy new clothes. But everyone always say 'don't buy too much'. Which is true because baby outrow them very fast and you're likely to get clothes as gifts.

Second trimester is a great time to shop because you're not having morning sickness anymore and you won't feel so heavy to shop like third trimester!

So, your shopping list should include:
1. Breast pump (some people can latch on totally) but most will buy one to standby. Do not worry about the expensive costs. Just get a good one. You can sell it with good resell value later :)

2. Diapers. Need not get newborn size cos most hospital will give you one pack. Get a 3kg size.

3. EL Disposable Panty. Yes, you need it during your confinement. You don't want yourself or anyone else to wash those panty - especially if you stain them. Just get disposables. Lots of them.

4. Few large T-shirts. Again you need them during your confinement. But you may still fit in your maternity home wear.

5. D.O.M.E and Chicken Essence / Chicken Wine. Confinement needs

6. Extra nappy to protect your bed sheet during confinement.

7. Bean pillow to be placed on newborn chest.

8. Few sets of mittens and booties. Diaper changing mat.

That's about all i can think of. Anyone add on to this list?

ellyeun

thanks Justina!!!
where to get disposable panty? I heard some disposable panty r very uncomfortable...............

where can i get good n comfy ones?

apollo

thanks Justina!!!
where to get disposable panty? I heard some disposable panty r very uncomfortable...............

where can i get good n comfy ones?

u can get cotton disposable panty. i bought mine at BHG bugis, at 3rd storey near the entrance to Kinokuniya book store. 1 pack of 5 or 6 pieces cost abt $7.90 iirc.. very comfy and u dun have to wry abt the sizes cos the cutting is very big, confirm suitable for women aft giving birth as well as c-sect mummies.

i think not only BHG, any stores that sells bra/panty and departmental stores shd have. just ask the person for cotton disposable panty for preggy/confinement. =)

pinkapple

actually instead of getting disposable panties, why not just pack ya old panties. just use and throw. They'll be more fitting than those disposables.

pinkapple

2. Diapers. Need not get newborn size cos most hospital will give you one pack. Get a 3kg size.
don't entirely agree with this.

I think depends on your baby's size (weight) actually. plus what brand of diaper you use.

pss... for Pampers, New Born size is cheaper than size S.

for my 2nd baby, she's a 2.4kg at birth. and as a total breastfed baby, she poo a lot. one day can use up to 24 diapers. just the hospital pack where got enough?

most size S are too big for her for the 1st two weeks at least.

Bikimee

got a comprehensive list from a dear friend...long list, suggest u copy & save it as excel doc

Description Qty Owned Remarks
1 Romper (day wear) 7 "Short-sleeved top 12
Long-sleeved top 12
Pants 15
Romper (day)"
Rompers are one piece wear for baby. They have day and nite wear. Day wear is short sleeve without leggings; pull over through the head; no bottons in front, just at the bottom. Nite wear is long sleeve with leggings that covers the feet, buttons in front. I recommend rompers to the 2 piece conventional wear because baby cannot untuck when they move about. Also recommend that you get this from Mothercare as their material is thicker; good for baby sleeping in air-con room. More expensive but better quality.
2 Romper (nite wear) 3~6
3 Mittens 6 sets
Try not to go for the conventional clothe mittens. Go for knit material (like our T-shirt material); these have better grip at the wrist. Babies tend to wipe their face with their hands a lot, so mittens tend to smell after awhile. Need to change them quite often. But don't buy too many cos most parents only allow their babies to wear mittens in the 1st 2 months. After that, they'll "introduce" the hands to the baby.
4 Booties 6 sets
You can either buy booties (again don't go for the conventional clothe material) or buy baby socks.
5 Hat / cap 1
Babies head grow pretty fast. So don’t buy too many.
6 Handkerchief 2 dozens
Need quite a lot of hankies for milk feeding, cleaning, saliva,….etc. Not too big ones or they will be too overwhelming for the baby.
7 Towels 6
For drying the baby after bath. Size : about the size we adults use for shower. Also good for blocking baby cot from air con.
8 Cotton buds 1 box
For cleaning the outer ear after bath.
9 Cotton balls (sterilized) 2~3 packs
For cleaning baby's face/ eyes before bath & for cleaning baby's buttock after poo poo. For hardworking mummy, more economical to buy the cotton sheets in rolls. Cut them up into small pieces for use.
10 Baby bath tub 1
Baby outgrow small ones very quickly. You may want to consider getting a bigger one.
11 Baby small "tub" 1
You'll need a small container to put water for cleaning his face or buttock after his poo poo. Size 20~25cm diameter.
12 Baby shower lotion 1 small bottle
M. Alvernia use Johnson (blue bottle). Buy a small bottle becos you'll only use 2 drops a day. Also you wouldn't know if your baby is allergic to the brand, so it's best to buy a small bottle for testing first. Hospitals do not use shampoo for the hair in the initial month……..it's up to you if you want to buy a baby shampoo.
13 Baby shampoo 1 small bottle
14 Baby powder 1 small bottle
I've heard that powder may cause XXXX. Up to you to believe.
15 Baby powder container with applicator 1
Only if you plan to use baby powder on your baby. Some go for the cotton applicator while others go for sponge like applicator (something like a ladies' compact powder applicator). Cotton applicator are big and probably good for big surface like the buttock. Sponge like applicator are smaller and good to apply in defined area like under the neck.....not make the powering process too powdery. Understand?
Baby oil 1
16 Woodwards Gripe water 1 bottle
This is not a form of medication. Good for colic babies / getting rid of wind.
17 Ru Yi Oil 1 bottle
Get this from any Chinese medicinal shop. Good for getting rid of wind in baby's tummy.
18 Drapolene Cream 1
Good for preventing nappy rash. You may want to ask your doctor for recommendation.
19 Changing mat 1
Good for laying the baby on it for changing after bath, poo poo,….etc.
20 Wet wipes 2~3 packs
Recommended brand : Pigeon. New parents need a lot for cleaning the poo poo. Buy some big packs and some small packs. Small packs are good for putting in the baby bag when bringing baby out……less bulky. If you plan to buy other brands, make sure they do not contain other "chemicals" / moisturiser because you wouldn't know how well your baby takes to them. I've tried other brands, some are too moist while others do not have good materials.
21 Disposable Diapers 1 pack
For new parents, go for Pampers (New born size). Do not buy too many, babies out grow them very quickly.
22 "Nappies / safety pins /nappy liners" 1 dozen "

Nappy liners 2 box (100s)" If you do not plan to let your baby use nappies, don't buy too many of this. Nappies can be used as pillow, blankets, wrap,….etc. But if you plan to use nappies, get 3 dozens. And if you plan to use nappies, get nappy liners as well.
23 Receiving blanket 1
You'll need this to wrap your baby in during discharge. Nowdays, these blankets comes with a hood. Also good for wrapping your baby when bringing him out. (some hospital provide,one is more than enough)
24 Blanket 1
Thermal blanket recommended. These blankets have holes and prevents suffocation. More expensive though.
25 Baby cot & mattress 1
There are a lot of good cot in the market. Shop at your preference. (Robinson have good selection) Recommend that you buy one that can allow the baby to sleep till he/she is quite old. Convert to toddler bed. Get a relative big one, don't stinge on a small cot. Make sure you can operate the barrier with one hand. Remember, there may be times when you have to carry the baby in one hand and adjust the barrier with the other.
26 Baby bumper 1 set
These are thin cushion we lay within and around the cot to prevent the baby from hitting against the baby cot wood or jamming his legs / hands between the baby cot bars. I'd suggest that you get the 1 piece baby bumper. These have lesser "excess" point and lowers the risk of the baby jamming his/her hands or legs between the bars.
27 Pillow & pillow case/ Bolster & bolster case 1
Some fold a nappy as pillow. Babies do not know how to use a bolster as yet. Get 2 pillow case if you're getting a pillow.
28 Bed sheet 2
Get 2 for change.
29 Mattress protector 1
Can get this from Robinson. If you don't have a mattress protector, the mattress will be soiled once the baby puke puke on it.
30 Comb / brush 1
M. Alvernia use a soft brush
31 Nail cutter & nail file 1
There are files and nail cutters for baby….smaller version.
32 Baby monitor 1
You'll need this "walkie talkie" to monitor your baby if you are in another room.
33 Pacifier 1 Use the same brand as your bottle nipple. Note, they come in different shapes and size.
34 Pacifier chain 1
35 Bottles 2short + 6tall
Recommended brand : Nuk. They have air system nipple. Size : 0~6 mths (milk). You may want to buy nipples with smaller hole for the short bottle for water. Advise : get the same brand for the bottle and nipple; they fit better. The number of bottles you get depends on how often you want to wash the bottle. The fewer bottles you have, the higher your washing and sterilizing frequency. Some babies wake up very often at nite for feed..........if you do not have enough bottles, you'll end up having to wash bottles in the middle of the nite. But trust me, by then sleep became a scarce thing (low supply, high demand) so you'll gladly invest in more bottles to save the trouble and to trade for more sleep. (i'm using piegon brand... 3big, 2 small) They will use the small bottle (4oz = 120ml) for a few months at least)
36 Sterilizer 1
Recommended brand : Nuk. Whatever brand you get, make sure the bottles fit in in terms of height and width. I'm using Piegon electric sterlilzer… so far so good… very convenient!
37 Baby cloth detergent 1
Recommended brand : Kodomo. Nappy detergent (Napisan at NTUC)
Buckets with lids 1
Basket for baby laundry 1
38 Baby dish washing detergent 1
They are supposedly milder than the normal dish washing detergent.
39 Baby bottle brush & sponge 1
Practice having a separate washing sponge for baby's utensil. Do not use the dish washing sponge for our oily dishes.
40 Ear Thermometer 1
For babies & toddlers. Adult ones may be too big.
41 Baby bag 1
Any bag will do, so long as they are big enough. Recommend that you get something that is easy to carry for adult, eg harver sack.
42 Thermal flask 1 For putting hot water when bringing the baby out
43 Water container for cool water 1 For putting cool water when bringing the baby out
44 Milk powder container 1 For putting milk powder when bringing the baby out. You wouldn't want to bring the whole can.
Warmer cum carrier bag 1
Bags/milk bottles to store expressed breastmilk
45 Sarong / cushions 1
Optional. If you plan to use the sarong, buy big cushions to lay under the sarong……just in case it snaps or the baby falls out.
46 Bouncer 1
Optional. Some babies like to be rocked a lot. I've explained that babies in general like to be rocked because that gives them the feeling that they are still in the mummy's tummy and mummy is "on the move".
47 Stroller 1
A definite must but it can come later. Make sure the stroller have more "pivot" angle…..sitting, lying position.
48 Car Seat 1
With the new ruling, you'll need this when you drive your baby home from the hospital. Make sure your car seat has pivot angles. Babies lie, toddler sit.
Stair/door gates
Rubber protectors for bedroom doors
Protectors for sharp corners
Highchair
Walker
Playpen
Rattle
Baby gym
49 Changing Table 1
Optional. But they grow out it quickly. You'll soon find that bathing baby at ground level is more fun and much safer. But after C-section, a changing table is good cos mummy need not bend to change / bath baby. But I feel it's only good for the first 2 months. We had one but we kept it after 2 months.
50 Potty 1
Not so soon but some nannies potty train their babies early.
51 Head/neck cushion 1
Babies neck will only firm after 3 mths. So you might want to get a head / neck cushion for the stroller, bouncer or car seat.
52 Black, white and red 1
Optional. Toys / charts that are black white or red captures your babies attention. Their vision are not very good in the first few months and these colours help.
53 Nite light 1
Optional. You might want to have a little light in the room at nite to watch your baby.
54 Music 1
Optional. Soothing music helps baby to sleep better……..may not work for all though. Mothercare have some selection.
55 Camera / film 1
You'll need this to capture some shots at the hospital or at home. Always have them handy.
56 Mosquito net 1
Optional.
57 Baby mobile 1
Optional. Babies only learn how to appreciate / look at this toy display after 2 months.
58 Milk powder
Depending on what your doctor / hospital recommend.
59 Basket 1
This basket is to put all the baby essentials like diapers, powder, ru yi oil, wet wipes, cotton buds / balls,…..things that will come in handy for a clean up. Don't have to run from corner to corner to grap these things. We may be changing our baby on the master bed, on her baby cot, in another room,...etc. So it's more convenient to put her essentials in a basket or carrier instead of leaving the baby on the bed and running out to get the things elsewhere. Mothercare sells this plastic box that looks like a huge toolbox. Very handy. Alternatively you can just make use of other plastic box (from Toyogo) with lid and handle or use a cane / rattan basket, they work as well.
60 Drawers 1
Get a plastic drawer or empty some of your drawers for baby's stuffs. We didn't get these drawers, we empty some of our drawers to make way for baby stuffs.
Baby carrier/ sling
61 Sterilizing cotton 14 pieces
Your hospital may provide this at discharge. Need this for cleaning the babies' belly button before the umbilical cord falls off.
Sterile container for cord spirit
Cord spirit
62 Breast pump
Optional. Depending how well mummy cope with breast feeding. But for a more hassle free pump, I'd recommend you get a battery operated one. Have some spare batteries as well.
63 Hanger
Cos baby stuffs are small, it's good to get an "umbrella" like hanger with a lot of cloth packs on it to hang his little mittens / booties / hankies for drying.
64 Ziploc bags 1 box
I have the habit of putting her things in ziploc bag esp when going out. Put her clean and dry cloths in the ziploc bag before putting them in the baby bag. Prevent wetting every thing should your water spill in the bag. Got it?
65 Plastic sheet 1
Optional. Some mummies are afraid their waterbag may burst in the middle of the nite and wet the masterbed mattress (master bed mattress is expensive to replace). So they'll buy a plastic sheet to lay on the mattress to protect……….just in case. I think Mothercare / Guardian sell them. Only need this closing to the end of pregnancy.

For the mummy
1 Breast pad 1 pack
2 Front opening nite dress 2
3 Disposable maternity panty a few packs
4 Sanitary napkins
5 Slippers 1 pair
6 Dress at discharge 1
7 Sweater 1 May be cold……….with all that pain
8 Binder 1 Your doctor will advise
9 Admission letter / doc
Anti Stretchmark cream
Nursing bras
Nipple cream for crack nipples
Pails for mum’s bathing and face cleansing.
Herbal bags for bath

For the baby at discharge
1 Mittens & booties 2 sets
2 Discharge apparel 1 set Romper + hat
3 Receiving blanket 1
4 Diaper 1 pack some hospitals do not provide diaper. You'll have to check.

For the daddy (if staying in hospital)
1 Camera 1 Make sure it's loaded with memary cards and battery
2 Handphone / pager You'll have a lot to call to announce the good news.
3 Change of cloths
4 Slippers

Note : Every baby is unique. So some things may apply while others don't. You'll learn as you go along. Some recommended places for shopping are
Robinsons, Kiddy Palace & Mothercare. Happy parenting……………….

Last edited: