What to expect on an aeroplane

Kokura

I like to go for a holdiday with my 17 month old baby. It is my first time & I am not quite sure what to expect.
E.g. when a baby poops on a plane, where do u change the diaper since there are no diaper changing station & strollers are not allowed to be hand-carried?

And how do u let your baby fall asleep in an air plane? My baby does not sleep in her stroller/carrier when we are out because there are a lot of external stimulation such as noise, light, people moving & talking, etc.

How do you deal with the discomfort arising from the buildup of air pressure in her ears during take-off & landing?

Please advise. Thanks so much!

misnor

Hi Kokura,

I took my son on his first trip when he was 2 months old and I know those worries you are having.

There is a pull down changing table in the airplane toilet and you can easily change your baby's diapers there.

It's always a challenge for baby to sleep on planes and mine did not had a wink for a 4 hour flight to HongKong and only 6 hours of sleep when we fly to Toronto when the entire journey was 20 hours. I would normally play with my son till he's tired and he will fall asleep eventually. I will avoid any sorts of drug to make him sleep unless he gets really cranky and make huge disturbances to other passengers on long haul flights.

I would normally put some water in the milk bottle and let my son drink from it and that eases the discomfort from the pressure. You might want to try.

You can visit my blog for some travel tips if you like. www.curlyray.com