What to expect on your 2nd pregnancy

cheriedaz

hi mummies,
will like to check with some mummies who have more than 1 baby.. can share your experience?

What to expect on your 2nd pregnancy esp when u have the elder baby to handle..finance will definitely be doubled. Esp on the gynae trip.

Any other pointers?

Priya Diva

Hi Cheriedaz and other mummies

I am expecting my no 2. I have the same concern. My 1st one is 19 mths. I feel so tired and nauseas.

I feel bad that i can;t play and spend so much time with my elder one.. Always feel like sleeping...

Do any of you feel like that too?

Madako

First trimester may seems tough but dont't worry. Everything will be fine - eventually. :)

me too, now 4 mths preg with my 2nd one.
My girl is now 23 mths.
very very tired during the 1st tri.
Now slightly better...
dun worry, we can pull thru this...:Dancing_wub:

i was pregnant with no. 2 when my no. 1 was 9 months old. couldn't be happier because i was so keen to have a second one after the first one came and we had so much fun in spite of the sleepless nights.

the fatigue will wear off by the time you hit second tri, and by the end of second tri, energy level will usually be quite good. that was when we spent time taking no. 1 to the beach and the zoo. we even went on two holidays :)

i continued to nurse no. 1 right up to one week before delivery, although i don't know if it resulted in the early labour (no. 2 arrived at 35 weeks). but both kids are healthy and my doc said nursing shouldn't have induced early labour

it'll be some packing/unpacking of the infant stuff, and washing of clothes/linen for new baby so pace yourself on this one. and standby all the equipment you need - cot, steriliser, pump, car seat, stroller (if you have more than one), rocker...

visits to doc - i go to the evening clinic after work and get my mom to extend babysitting hours/tuck son in bed. good to get him used/prepared to someone else tucking him in in preparation for delivery when mommy will be away! stay with the same gynae if possible since she'll know you and you'll definitely be very comfortable with her - i won't want to start all over with another one! esp since i'm happy with my gynae :)

teach no. 1 to be a little more independent and help with very basic work around the house - dispose of his own diapers, feed himself (very tricky work though!), clear up toys (VERY IMPT!! haha!)

finances, hmm, yeah, it's definitely different with 2 babies. my husband's theory is that as long as we purchase baby items on grocery shopping trips, the bill will bust $100. it's been true to far... but can cut down on other expenses like dining out at restaurants (anyway, will probably not visit one for a while when no. 2 is still very little). books and toys can be recycled, as with many other equipment so expenses on those are not as hefty as when preparing for the first kid. but if one's a boy and one's a girl, it's shopping for new wardrobe all over again. but can /should try to restrain on excessive spending on that. i like to shop at mothercare at their end of season sale. you can very good deals for quality wear :)

childcare arrangements must be worked out. if you return to work, can get quite stressful because will need to ensure you get back in time to pick both kids up. it takes some coordination but keep chill about it.

an elderly friend of mine always reminds me to remember to enjoy them when they are young! and it's been so much fun watching the two interact now - the elder one will try to share his toys (but decides to reclaim it after 5 seconds) and the younger one is charmed by the brother's jabbering! haha!

izanyzam

Hi dujuanrosa...After reading yr entry,i feel a lot at ease since i just found that i am pregnant with my No.2..My boy is currently 9 & half months old..Was a bit worried abt how i was going to handle a newborn and a toddler..!! :eek: Thanks for sharing yr experience..!! :001_302:

Hi dujuanrosa...After reading yr entry,i feel a lot at ease since i just found that i am pregnant with my No.2..My boy is currently 9 & half months old..Was a bit worried about how i was going to handle a newborn and a toddler..!! :eek: Thanks for sharing yr experience..!! :001_302:
congrats congrats! there will be some difficult moments but children are such great blessings and so much fun - and mine have taught me so many more things about life i never knew. i'm sure yours do too! :)

dflora

I was pregnant with #2 when #1 was 7mths old...It was tiring especially during the last trimester. I felt a little guilty towards my elder because I couldn't oblige when he wants me to carry him. Anything that requires quite a fair bit of physical movement is a no-no for me.. so I could only sit and watch him play with my hubby or maid.

I think most importantly, need to educate #1 that he has a brother coming along. Talk to #1 about his new playmate even if you think he may be too young to understand. Never underestimate their abilities.

My #2 is now 3 mths old and my #1 dotes on him since day 1. Always like to kiss his little brother.

The next impt thing to take note is caring for 2 young babies. The elder one in the so-called Terrible Two period will require as much attention as the newborn. You need to have at least 1 caregiver to each child. Otherwise if you are working, you may need to put the elder one in childcare. Starting looking for one if you need. Most schools may be full or under waitlist for next year's enrolment. Some schools have limited quota for toddlers cause taking care of this age group will require more efforts. In my case, I was late so no choice, have to enrol him in a school much more expensive and further. Nearby home no more vacancies.

Kids are a blessing.. Although we may feel exhausted running after them, you will realise it's worth everything even when they return you with just a smile..

Last edited: