What to feed my 1 year old?

I've been giving her porridge for breakfast and lunch, and fruit with cereal and yogurt for dinner.

Recently she has been rejecting porridge - eating very little and keeping food in her mouth and refuse to swallow. She still eat her fruits cereal but not as much as before.

Sometims i give her steam tofu with mashed/pureed veg instead or porridge.

What else can I give her for her meals? I'm running out of ideas cos she has no teeth yet and doesn't want to gum her food. If I give her too chunky food she will just swallow, sometimes gagging. I made her porridge thicker but she will swallow without gumming, if not she will spit out everything.

How?

diymummy

My son only started gumming at 13 mths. We taught him to gum by giving him Gerber puffs and getting him to bite it. We didn't give him the whole thing though it's so small. We made him bite into 2.

Soon after, he start gumming bread then it became french toasts and pancakes.

Take it a step at a time. Some kids just need more exposure. My son still can't drink from a straw. Hahaha.

Well the thing is she can eat bread, biscuits that dissolves, and she will gum them a bit and then swallow. I used to give her organix rice cakes and she can eat very well, but recently she start to store it in her mouth, refuse to gum. Or she will gum a bit, become impatient, then swallow whole. Same goes for her porridge. Sigh. Giving me headache.

Stan

DD got bored with her porridge recently.

You can try mee sua. i cooked some stock and add the mee sua + minced meat + fish... add in finely chopped spring onions or parsley for variety.

Or if ur kiddo is ok with eggs, can stir in the yolk into porridge... taste quite diff too.

meiteoh

Depending on what your baby has been introduced to, you can give pancakes, muffin, cake, pasta, baked main dishes like baked veg & roast chicken and so forth. Note that all these are homemade - or at least that's the case for me - so you can control the amount of sugar and choose to not add any salt. You can even make your own tomato sauce for pasta dishes.

I shared with a friend on an FB group that when kids hoard food in their mouths, it could either mean that they are too big or they don't like the food item. Maybe you can try to see which is true in your case.

I have not introduce whole eggs to her, thus I am not giving her pancakes and cakes yet. Moreover i feel those are more of a snack than an actual meal, no?

I tried the bellamy's star pasta. Even until I boiled it until the water becomes sticky, it doesn't get very soft, and my daughter doesn't like it. Since then I have not given her pasta.

As for roasted veg, I do give her once in a while, but because I don't have my own kitchen (I'm staying with the in laws), I usually only make different food when I am back at my mom's on the weekends. If I give her roasted meat, I have to blend it, if not she will choke. She doesn't really like gumming, she will store her food in her mouth, or just swallow it whole.

paull

have u tried oats? blend it into powder and cook as per porridge..my bb loves it! u can mix in veggie or fruits puree also..

try to buy steel cut oats or rolled oats..do not buy instant one..

apollo

I have not introduce whole eggs to her, thus I am not giving her pancakes and cakes yet. Moreover i feel those are more of a snack than an actual meal, no?

I tried the bellamy's star pasta. Even until I boiled it until the water becomes sticky, it doesn't get very soft, and my daughter doesn't like it. Since then I have not given her pasta.

As for roasted veg, I do give her once in a while, but because I dont't have my own kitchen (I'm staying with the in laws), I usually only make different food when I am back at my mom's on the weekends. If I give her roasted meat, I have to blend it, if not she will choke. She doesn't really like gumming, she will store her food in her mouth, or just swallow it whole.
if possible, shd intro whole egg soon as she needs to take her MMR jab at 15mth.

ds has been taking pancake, cake for breakfast. not necessary to be snacks. and u have to slowly 'upgrade' the texture for her. i think she is too used to 'baby texture' food.

meiteoh

As for roasted veg, I do give her once in a while, but because I dont't have my own kitchen (I'm staying with the in laws), I usually only make different food when I am back at my mom's on the weekends. If I give her roasted meat, I have to blend it, if not she will choke. She doesn't really like gumming, she will store her food in her mouth, or just swallow it whole.
Well, I actually give Eva pancakes, muffins, etc for breakfast and she loves it - I add fruit and what-not in it. Like apollo mentioned, best to intro eggs soon - egg yolks first and then whole eggs later - just to rule out allergies. Plus it'll give you more options when it comes to giving her food that is packed with protein.

IMHO, you cannot give you baby-textured food all the time because sooner or later, she has to learn how to chew and handle chunky food. Can't eat porridge forever. :)

Re the pasta stars, hmmm, I never have this problem - I usually wait for the water to boil first before adding the stars and stir every few minutes. That's how we cook pasta, anyway. In my case, it gets very soft...sometimes until it becomes mushy!

Can intro egg white already? Ok I shall give it to her soon. Cos she is having roseola now. I will try cooking my pasta stars again. Thank you mommies!