What to feed my 6 months old baby?

AngieTan

Hi mummies,

I am very new to motherhood and my boy just turned 6 months old exactly today! :tlaugh:

I am just wondering... What can I feed my boy now and how many times in a day should I feed him solid? I have Frisocrem which I began feeding him once daily through bottle since he turned 4 months old until he stopped wanting to take it from the bottle... Haven't tried using spoon to feed though and will try... Another is the Moon Rabbit Si Sen Brown Rice Powder which I tried to feed him by spoon couple of times but he seemed agitated after a few spoonfuls and threw tantrums after that... So wasn't really successful in giving a lot either... =/

Is the Si Sen Brown Rice Powder gonna make him full? How about cereal? I have also tried Heinz bottled puree products but a bit hard to finish it within 48 hours after opening as he only willing to take a bit at a time so it is quite wasteful I must say...

Any advices for a newbie mum like me? :001_302:

P.S. My mum tried to make him porridge with fish once this week which he did take but I was unsuccessful in feeding him the same thing thereafter... :embarrassed:

Last edited:

mummynbb

My girl is also 6 months now and i've started her on bellamy's organic rice cereal 2 weeks ago.
Started with just one tbsp of the dry cereal mixed with ebm, nw giving her 2tbsp once a day.
You may like to try this rice cereal as my girl looks it alot.

As for porridge, I'm not sure about introducing porridge with fish so early.
It's always good to start one solid food at a time ie. Get him used to plain porridge first then slowly introduce one vege, followed by one meat, then fish. As I understand it's good to introduce meat only after 7th month? Maybe experienced mummies can enlighten me here? Thanks.

AngieTan

My girl is also 6 months now and i've started her on bellamy's organic rice cereal 2 weeks ago.
Started with just one tbsp of the dry cereal mixed with ebm, nw giving her 2tbsp once a day.
You may like to try this rice cereal as my girl looks it alot.

As for porridge, I'm not sure about introducing porridge with fish so early.
It's always good to start one solid food at a time ie. Get him used to plain porridge first then slowly introduce one vege, followed by one meat, then fish. As I understand it's good to introduce meat only after 7th month? Maybe experienced mummies can enlighten me here? Thanks.
Hi there... May I know how many times do you feed her with cereal in a day and how much does your girl take per feeding? Cos my boy seem to lose interest after a few teaspoonfuls and will start to fuss after that... Wonder whether he is frustrated with the new method of eating as the food gets in too slow, or, he's not interested in whatever I am feeding him... =/

Have been feeding Frisocrem to him since 4 months old but that was through the bottle... My main problem is, I don't know how much should they be taking right now... Like is there an indication as to how much they should eat? Like how much is too much or too little? Can any experienced mummies please enlighten me here?

mummynbb

Hi there... May I know how many times do you feed her with cereal in a day and how much does your girl take per feeding? Cos my boy seem to lose interest after a few teaspoonfuls and will start to fuss after that... Wonder whether he is frustrated with the new method of eating as the food gets in too slow, or, he's not interested in whatever I am feeding him... =/

Have been feeding Frisocrem to him since 4 months old but that was through the bottle... My main problem is, I don't know how much should they rbe taking right now... Like is there an indication as to how much they should eat? Like how much is too much or too little? Can any experienced mummies please enlighten me here?
Hihi,
I am still feeding rice cereal to my baby once a day, might be increasing it to twice a day soon.
It's 2-3 tbsp if dry cereal mixed with ebm or formula. My girl can take more as she always fuss once her food is finished indicating she wants more.
Each baby has their own appetite so I would say there isn't a standard amount which you should feed your baby. Rather try to watch him cues like leaning forward n opening his mouth (indicating he wants more) or closing his mouth or turning away when spoon is near him (perhaps he's already full?)
Perhaps you can try giving other brands of rice cereal?

yv0nne

Hi, my boy is also 6 mths old. i started feeding him semi solids from 5 mths.

do note that the we need to give iron-fortified commercial food to replenish the iron reserve which wld prob be low after 6 mths.

i started off with a meal of homemade fruit/ veg puree with bellamy's baby rice. mix together. rem to stick to 4 days rule of introducing new food. look out for allergies.

now, my boy is taking after his first milk; a homemade fruit puree with baby rice and dinner veg puree and seperate healthy times barley cereal.

both cereals are iron fortified of cos.

im a working mum so i steam/ blend his puree once a week and have a weeks' supply. so for e.g once he clears apple, i will blend apple again the week after for breakfast to mix with baby rice and a new fruit/ veg which i will feed for dinner.

so tt i know if hes allergy to d new fruit/ veg.

hope it helps! :001_302:

AngieTan

Thanks for the replies... May I know where can I get the Bellamy cereal? I was wondering whether HealthyTimez is good too since it's also organic...

yv0nne

Can get both bellamy's n healthy times at cold storage/ ntuc xtra.. selected ones la.. both organic

ast0212

I gave my son brown rice cereal at 6.5 months and he stopped pooing for 6 days. It also gave him rashes so I stopped and gave him florets of steamed broccoli, carrot sticks, banana, soft pear, all to feed himself and he did better than on cereal.

kanily

Hi, my boy is also 6 mths old. i started feeding him semi solids from 5 mths.

do note that the we need to give iron-fortified commercial food to replenish the iron reserve which wld prob be low after 6 mths.

i started off with a meal of homemade fruit/ veg puree with bellamy's baby rice. mix together. rem to stick to 4 days rule of introducing new food. look out for allergies.

now, my boy is taking after his first milk; a homemade fruit puree with baby rice and dinner veg puree and seperate healthy times barley cereal.

both cereals are iron fortified of cos.

im a working mum so i steam/ blend his puree once a week and have a weeks' supply. so for e.g once he clears apple, i will blend apple again the week after for breakfast to mix with baby rice and a new fruit/ veg which i will feed for dinner.

so tt i know if hes allergy to d new fruit/ veg.

hope it helps! :001_302:
Hi yv0nne,

I would like to find out more from you. My boy is now 5 months and going to 3rd week this week. When you mention to stick to 4 days rule of introducting new food, does it mean now i intend to start apple puree for him first, do i just stick to apple puree for 4 days without other types of fruits and veg and stick to normal formula milk? Not sure if i got the correct understanding.

yv0nne

Hi yv0nne,

I would like to find out more from you. My boy is now 5 months and going to 3rd week this week. When you mention to stick to 4 days rule of introducting new food, does it mean now i intend to start apple puree for him first, do i just stick to apple puree for 4 days without other types of fruits and veg and stick to normal formula milk? Not sure if i got the correct understanding.
Yes u r right! Do get "First Food" or Annabel Karmel's "Super Food" or Feeding a baby and toddler. Its a good read with lotsa receipes..

yv0nne

yv0nne

Probably I need to clarify.

We dont know what our babies might be allergy to. So, always try a single type of food for 4 days. Take note of rashes/ diarrhea etc.

According to the Annabel Karmel's book, its always good to start with commercial baby rice.

Then followed by First Vegetables (carrots/ pumpkins etc)

Then followed by First Fruits (apples/ pears/ avocados etc)

Then slowly when u introduced a 2nd meal in the evening, u can use Healthy Times' Oatmeal Cereal.

My boy now is 6.5 mths.

I am feeding him

Baby Rice + Vege Puree (after first milk intake , breakfast)

Fruits Puree (tea)

Barley/ Oatmeal cereal (dinner)