What to prepare for a newborn ?

trungicons

Hi Mummies,

I'm going to get my first child and would love to know your idea about what should be prepared ?

That would be great if it come with the brand name as well.

Thanks so much ;)

Elosagen

Wow, good to know and learn from here. The answer is detailed. Thanks.
Our products are mainly about bags , if you need, have a look please.

welovbaby

Firstly congrats to you.. I think this is very useful thread for new mummy.. I would suggest you to read up some parenting books and do some budget calculation on baby products. Whether to use organic or non-organic.

I personally suggest for organic product, based on my nephew who is staying in my house. He has eczema and could only use organic baby wash and nappy cream. Just to share many parents had email us saying their baby condition improve after using organic products. I know organic products are relatively high cost, but it will become worthwhile when you see their condition is well. Cheers.

felicity

for basic baby clothing like rompers/bodysuits... how many is enough? how often do you have to change your baby's clothes and how often do you have to do your laundry? thanks!!

ast0212

If you are planning to breastfeed, I'd highly recommend reading about Breastfeeding as much as you can. There are a lot of common myths as well as misinformation out there and if you are knowledgeable about it, it really helps a lot because even though breastfeeding is a natural way to feed a baby, it's also something that needs to be learnt in this day and age. Join a support group and attend classes as well :)

As for clothes it depends how often you do your laundry.. most babies tend to spill or vomit quite often in the early weeks so you may end up changing them a couple of times a day. Or they may get poo or pee on their clothes too... I wash baby clothes once a week and found that I didn't have enough clothes for my girl, yet she's growing out of them so quickly!

landy

Hi dear, actually u can shop online sometime it can cheaper then retails shop sale.. I bought my son romper pack from 'Tim babies' Facebook .. Anywhere u can get some newborn romper to standby and wait until u give birth may hv a lot hamper gift include bb clothes ..

Eloise Chen

PHILIPS AVENT Single Electric Breastpump

PHILIPS AVENT Single Electric Breastpump
- full set with box + warranty still valid (with receipt)
- triple mode ie pump can be electric, battery-operated or manual (all included except batteries)
- very quiet, steady pumping action, not painful
want to sell: Philips AVENT Single Electric breast pump
Hi,

Wanted to let go of Philips AVENT Single Electric Breast Pump. Details as follow.

1. Item brand and name: Philips AVENT Single Electric breast pump
2. Selling Price: $120
3. Item Condition: Purchased in July 2011 and used about three months and then kept till now.
4. State reasons for selling: Stopped breastfeeding
5. Quantity: 1
6. Contact details: happyecl@hotmail.com

Take note that I sterilized all items before and after use.

Thanks.

Mindyling

My baby is currently 6 months old and I would like to share my experience with many of the products that I bought and whether they were useful or not.
A $29 6-fold colorful mattress that i bought from Courts. This is by far the most value for money item I have bought among all. The fabric is comfortable, it is easily foldable and kept and I can prop up the ends to become a cushioned wall for son. He loves to practise pushups because it is hard enough and yet enough cushion to support his falls. Before that I had bought a very big piece of mat as well from Babyspa for 80+ but it was hard and slightly too big for lesss than 6 months baby who could not crawl yet. Maybe will use it better when he starts to crawl.

Pigeon 3-in-1 steriliser. I found it value for money for its fundamental use of sterilising, although i have not started using the warming food function. Do not bother to buy the sterilising pills or use boiling water to steam. It is safer and convenient to buy a steriliser since it is an everyday use and with your newborn you really need things to work most efficiently (esp when you know baby's hunger is always priority). A slight glitch is that the LCD monitor was spoilt around 4 months of use, but i can live with that.

Highchair. If I had known in advance that there is a fisherprice high chair that comes in a swing chair cum high chair cum toddler seat i would have bought it before i was pregnant so that i can maximise its use. But too bad i only knew about this when son was 4 month plus so the swing chair could not be put to maximise use. Eventually i got a highchair (Mozarbee brand from Taiwan) from Kaki Bukit for 100+ and it was decent looking and useful (pvc padded for easy clean and with wheels for convenience).

Major mistake was to buy a graco playpen which son used til now but it is getting too cramp for him to do his manuevers. Bought a single size latex mattress for almost $400 wanting to put on the floor for him to sleep. But i felt that it is not the most ideal as i have to flip up and down the mattress to use and there is a lot of dust on the floor when we walk past. I would advise parents to buy the kind of cot that you can use for a newborn, then able to change to a toddler bed for baby to be able to flip with ease. of course take note of the different hieghts they have as when they start to flip from 4 month you might need to lower the mattress, and yet have the ease of carrying your child from and into the cot. especially useful is to have a side railing to lift up and down but must be safe not to drop easily or your child may suffer injuries.

Bought the hip foldable bathtub which they claim to be able to use up to 3 years old. Currently my son when laid flat on his back in the tub, already needs to bend his head (with his feet touching the wall of the tub) so i felt this tub although can be kept easily, can only be used for a few months. Not sure about other parents who have also bought this product.

Combi miracle turn was a disappointment. It is not considered cheap but it is very flimsy. We liked it for the ease of turning (wheels is 4 way and in all directions) and the light weight. But because it is lightweight, when we hang our baby stuff on one side of the stroller, we found that the stroller kept turning one side when we pushed it. The wheels jammed easily once when we hit the kerb only with 3 months of use. We seldom used the basket at the bottom because it was so difficult to put things inside once son was in it.

I also bought a lot (and friends gave as well) of branded baby clothes which son only wore once or none. I felt so heartpain cos they looked so nice and some brands I dun even have for myself. Some material was not as comfortable, and some was hot. Never buy polo tees for child less than 1 years old as they drool and vomit a lot, the neck area is very fragile, do try not to cover it.

I bought the mum2mum wonder bib at mothercare. Reason being was to protect son's neck from saliva or vomit. But after one use it actually makes my son's neck red and spotted. Then i realised I had in fact done the opposite of protecting his neck because the wet bib actually makes his neck worse. Maybe i should have removed it a while after his feed. But i seldom use it now...

Hope the above reviews will help all moms.... :)

Tannie

Thank u for sharing, this definitely help as those big items are not only costly n oso taking up a lot of space...

zaclin29

Hi,

Need to know how many pcs shld be buy baby's clothings.

Clothing:

Booties / Baby Socks
Cardigans
Cotton Vests - front button type
Long Pants
Mittens
Newborn Hats - to protect from sun
Rompers / Bodysuits / Sleepsuits
Shorts

My friend told me that baby will change clothes like 4-5 times a day.
Depends on the weather, sometimes the laundry will not dry in time.

So was advise to prepare 5 set of clothings for 4 days at least... ie. 20 shirts, 20 pants, 10 bodysuits??

Btw shld be get "newborn" size or "0-3 mths" size?

mosqeetoh

my baby is 1 mths plus and I'm mostly using rompers for him as they're the most convenient and comfy to use in our warm weather.
Ok i admit i'm crazy abt rompers!! :p
in fact, just bought another 2 this morning hehehe

so at night i use bodysuits for him as we sleep with aircon on.

I did buy vests and long pants/shorts but hardly used. i'd suggest to have 2-3 sets just in case for the rainy days.

as for now i have like more than a dozen rompers, 6 sets of mittens/booties and 6 bodysuits for the nights. i do baby laundry every 2 days and they seem sufficient. i guess the sets of clothings u need will depend on how often u do laundry.

Hope this helps.

felicity

my baby is 1 mths plus and I'm mostly using rompers for him as they're the most convenient and comfy to use in our warm weather.
Ok i admit i'm crazy abt rompers!! :p
in fact, just bought another 2 this morning hehehe

so at night i use bodysuits for him as we sleep with aircon on.

I did buy vests and long pants/shorts but hardly used. i'd suggest to have 2-3 sets just in case for the rainy days.

as for now i have like more than a dozen rompers, 6 sets of mittens/booties and 6 bodysuits for the nights. i do baby laundry every 2 days and they seem sufficient. i guess the sets of clothings u need will depend on how often u do laundry.

Hope this helps.
oh dear, i always assume that rompers and bodysuits refer to the same thing! may i know where do you buy the rompers and bodysuits for your baby?

also anyone knows where to get cheap tie-front tops? the type which holds the top together with little ribbons... my mum says that type easiest to wear for new born. thanks!

mosqeetoh

oh dear, i always assume that rompers and bodysuits refer to the same thing! may i know where do you buy the rompers and bodysuits for your baby?

also anyone knows where to get cheap tie-front tops? the type which holds the top together with little ribbons... my mum says that type easiest to wear for new born. thanks!
hehhe i assume bodysuits are full length ones and rompers the shorts ones! dunno leh!

those tops are available at any of those shops selling 3 for $10 sort of kids' clothings. can be found at pasar malam also.

Jesamine

Do people still buy those singlets with small little tiny holes (like what we wore in the past) for newborns nowadays? Is it still practical? I'm crazy about bodysuits but everyone is telling me that bodysuits are not suitable for newborns as they are still very fragile and can't really flex their arms that well. I find it hard to find front botton body suits though.

Another thought ... do you guys think 30 napkins is a little too much? i don't intend to use diapers for newborn tho ...

zaclin29

Newborn-sized clothes are usually labelled as 0~3 months, but get those that are for 0~6 months (if you can). Because babies outgrow their clothes very fast, do not buy too many pieces for newborn size.

Due to super warm weather, I would suggest to get more of those short-sleeved front-button cotton vests that are meant for 0~6 months old, which are available in many shophouse-type of residential street shops that sell baby items. It is around $3 per piece. Or get them from Kiddy Palace stores and Tom & Stefanie outlets.

I have more cotton vests (0~6mth) for my baby, about 10~14 pieces, as I wash them often, and he spills milk sometimes during burping, or he may be soaked in sweat during daytime nap.

Depending on how frequent you wash your baby clothes, you can maybe buy at least 10~14 pieces first? I think 20 pieces are too many.
thanks! now i know how much to budget... :)
I just hope that i can get more 2nd hand stuff so that I dont have to spend too much on baby's clothings since they outgrow the clothes very fast...

missyqiqi

depends, like for my sis she bought those 50/60mls milk bottles, coz normally newborn drink only like 30mls. But I jut bought 150mls milk bottles, coz i see no point buying so small bottles even though is cute.. :p

Because I'm putting her in infant care so I need extra 2 more bottles. So total I have 2 150mls bottles, 5 260mls bottles.