What type of chesse to bake salmon fish?

shulyn

Hi Mummies,

I tried baking salmon with cheese, everything is ok except the chesse. Im using the cheese cube (laughing cow's brand) on top of the salmon and when i took out the cheese is dark brown colour on the surface. Is this normal?

diymummy

Is the cheese too thick?

I find that Cheddar Cheese gets chao ta more easily compared to Morzzerella... I'm not a big fan of fish... So I've not tried to bake fish with cheese. I've only used the cheeses on my toast or baked rice.

snowbear

When baking with fish, it's better to use shredded cheese rather than cubes. :) Shredded mozarella's a good bet...

Last edited:

shulyn

Is the cheese too thick?

I find that Cheddar Cheese gets chao ta more easily compared to Morzzerella... I'm not a big fan of fish... So I've not tried to bake fish with cheese. I've only used the cheeses on my toast or baked rice.
It smell good and taste good for baking salmon with cheese, you can give it a try:)

Like snowbear say, i will try to use shredded cheese to give it a try...

snowbear

It smell good and taste good for baking salmon with cheese, you can give it a try:)
When i bake salmon with cheese for my own consumption and i'm out of mozarella, I will just tear the cheddar slice and mix evenly with the sliced salmon. That works too but like i said, i find cheddar too salty for baby. :)

annie

ive never bake fish with cheese but few days back i fry the salmon n put cheese on top when its about done. very nicely doneup. i used cheddar cheese slice. i realised cheese slices is not as salty as the real natural cheese. ive tried both n i myself cant take the real natural cheedar as well. FAR TOO SALTY! but the slice ones i like.. hehe.

the mozerella natural cheese i have is almost tasteless.. very differnet from cheddar which is too salty. both i dun like lol. sliced cheese taste better...

Last edited:

Juan

when can I start salmon fish to my baby? You all bake/fry the salmon then serve with their porridge? BTW, my girl is 6 months old now. Thanks...

diymummy

Hi Juan, asians usually introduce fish when baby is abt 6 mths. But some websites recommend that it be started after 10mths. For salmon, it's oily naturally so some baby's tummies might not be able to tahan. My baby started salmon at 7mths. He ended up having diarrhea. He took salmon at the infant care. I was sure that the salmon wasn't bad because all the other kids also ate it and they were ok.

Juan

hi Diymummy, i think if started at 6months then should be cook with porridge and not bake/fry right? My baby just know how to swallow cereal when I feed with spoon :)

diymummy

LOL.. Yes yes.. if feed at 6 mths is mash together with porridge. :p Thanks for correcting :)

You might want to try a variety of vege first before starting on protein foods. That's what my pd recommended. He says baby's main source of protein should still come from milk.

shulyn

when can I start salmon fish to my baby? You all bake/fry the salmon then serve with their porridge? BTW, my girl is 6 months old now. Thanks...
Juan, Personally im the more careful type..I started salmon for dear son when he is coming to 9 mths 2 weeks. Cod fish started when he is 7 mths plus. Initially wanted to start cod fish and my mum strongly oppose so i just delay awhile. After i start cod fish, my boy is fine then slowly increase to twice a week. Once he's ok, i start to introduce salmon.

So far i give a variety of fish that is safe for baby. I have introduce seabass, threadfin, cod fish, salmon and red fish (in dialect my mum say Ang hee) If im not wrong its red snapper.

For fish, its best to steam to maintain the nutrients. As for salmon, it doesnt taste nice if i steam or cook together with porridge so i thought of a healthier way, bake wih cheese.

For 6 mths, they just started solid, so no need to rush. Threadfin is the safest, you can either steam or cook together with porridge, smash and serve...

shulyn

ive never bake fish with cheese but few days back i fry the salmon n put cheese on top when its about done. very nicely doneup. i used cheddar cheese slice. i realised cheese slices is not as salty as the real natural cheese. ive tried both n i myself cant take the real natural cheedar as well. FAR TOO SALTY! but the slice ones i like.. hehe.

the mozerella natural cheese i have is almost tasteless.. very differnet from cheddar which is too salty. both i dont like lol. sliced cheese taste better...
Annie,

You prepare for yourself or yr gal? Sliced cheese taste good esp i always add few slices when i prepare the pasta sauce for myself and hubby...As for baby, lots of people say sliced cheese not so good right?

For salmon, it doesnt taste good when steam or cook with porridge so i been cracking my mind what to cook for my boy.

shulyn

Shulyn, Is threadfin same is Kurau? Cantonese call " yao yu" or hokkien Ngor her?
Hi Juan,

Threadfin in hokkien is Ngor Hee...Kurau im not so sure, saw other mummy talking about Kurau. Very easy want, go market and you will learn various types of fish, this is how i learn. When the fishmonger told me in mandarin, i will ask him the fish name in English.

annie

for my girl lo. lol. yah sliced cheese not as good cos its not 'real' cheese. its a cheese by pdt... but then i cant seem to find nice 'real' cheese leh... cheedar too salty n mozerella too plain.. my girl eats them but she LOVES those sliced ones so ive been giving her those sliced ones more often...