When can baby start to go swimming in public pool?

hello all

anyone knows when can i start bringing my boy to swim / play water in public pool?

which kind of float is suitable?

he is now 14 weeks old...
i know its might be a little early still...

ast0212

There's no clear answer to this. Our local public swimming pool has swimming lessons starting at 5 months. I've heard some parents bring their babies swimming as newborns, while others may prefer to wait till they get their first round of vaccinations. It's really up to the parents I think.

Just remember to keep baby warm as they lose heat quicker than adults, so a heated pool may be more suited. Also it's good to try to condition baby to water before bringing them to a pool. Check out this website for videos:

Kids Alive - Do the Five!

ast0212

It means getting them accustomed to water so they will be ok being dunked safely underwater in a pool as they will learn to hold their breath. We practised this with our son when he showered with one of us since 4 months old. We would count 1 2 3 and bring him under the shower. This is so he learns what comes after 3 and hold his breath. When we finally brought him into a pool months later we'd count to 3 and dunk him under water and he loved it! Had no problems breathing in water.

The videos on the site I mentioned will teach you how to get baby used to water from birth :)

i see i see... i'll try to put him under the shower to let him get used to it.
now when i bath him, i put him in a tub and i'll use the towel to let water drip from the top of his head... think its kinda of a practice for him...

my boy is 5 days older than your youngest child... :)

i haven got the chance to watch the videos on the site yet... gee.. will watch that when i get home...

thanks for the information.

also, what do you let your baby wear to the public pool?
i'm thinking of letting my boy wear the swimming diapers only. do you think its ok? will they get too cold?

ast0212

Yep what you're doing by dripping water over his head is good! That's conditioning :)

Wow our babies are so close in age! I won't be bringing my little girl swimming just yet as it is so cold now...winter just around the corner :(

I let my son wear a swimming suit and nappy for his first pool experience. Maybe shirt and nappy will do so they don't feel so cold.

Ekari

Not sure about pool but I brought mine to the beach, literally just let him sit there and let the wave push him over a little (not too strong). He loves it. 1 year + though