When can my child eat seafood??

mummypooh

Hi mummies,

Cny is ard d corner & I'm wondering when can my boy start to eat seafood like prawns,crab scallop & etc besides fish.

Do u let yr child to eat d fish & skin together?my boy is nw 13mth & usually I will steam his fish w/o d skin coz I scare gota d fishy smell.

apollo

i will remove the skin cos i dont eat it either. =P

as for those shell seafood, ds tried lobster b4 but sad to say, he is allergic to it so we dare not let him try crab n scallop. he is okay with prawns but we seldom let him take it. =)

meiteoh

Shellfish (prawns, scallops, lobster, crab, etc) are highly allergenic and therefore it is recommended that you introduce this after children turn 2 yo or later if there is a history of allergies in the family.

Must he eat seafood during CNY?

mummypooh

Oic. Tats wat I scare of... Allergy. Yeah, his daddy is allergic to prawn, whenever he eat prawn, his mouth will itch. Hw abt peanut butter? Will it cause allergy for my 13 mth boy or wait till he's older? Wat other food need to wait until he's older?

I must prepare myself 1st, juz in case my mom or Mil wana my boy to eat seafood during reunion dinner. Keke :)

diymummy

Since your hubby has an allergy to prawn, you could tell your mother or in-laws that. Allergies can be quite scary. My son suffered a few asthmatic attacks due to food allergies before and since it is during CNY, most clinics will be closed and seeking help would be stressful. So I would say, lay off the seafood till later.

My son was allergic to peanuts when I was breastfeeding him. Whenever I had peanut in my diet and he drank my milk, he would break out in eczema. But this allergy wore off at abt 18 mths. Now he is 25 mths and is ok with peanut butter.

meiteoh

Because your hubby has a family history, it is best to wait till much later instead of rushing to introduce a food item just because another family member wants to eat it. Allergies are serious business - people have died from going into anaphylactic shock (usually asthma attacks and sometimes worse - my cousin's has an asthma attack and was also swollen - her allergen trigger was the powder in fireworks) triggered by an allergen like food (nuts, shellfish) and bites like bee stings, etc.

The top guns like peanuts (it's a legume not a nut), trea nuts (cashew, walnut, almonds) and shellfish (includes mussels, squid) will have to wait till your kiddo is 2 yo. See this link for more ideas on what are some of the allergenic foods out there: TLC Cooking "10 Allergenic Foods to Avoid"

(Gluten and soy plus eggs happens to be one of them together with milk. But if your kiddo has had these, he can still take them and the recommended introduction age is 12 mths for those without family history of allergies.)

Why not just give him foods that he is already okay with for CNY? My family is having our reunion dinner at a restaurant back in KL and I made sure that the menu has food that Eva can take like steamed fish, pork ribs, rice and veg - the adults can have the prawns and other seafood.

Last edited:

apollo

since ur hub is allergic to prawns, the more u shdnt give ur son seafood now. like Meiteoh said, not necessary to give seafood during CNY.. And during steamboat session, better cook ur son foods like fish, veg etc before ur family throw in the seafoods.. My fren is allergic to seafoods and whenever we have steamboat with her, we will let her eat until she is full b4 we throw in the seafoods, just play safe. =)

mummypooh

Dear all,

Thanks for all yr valuable information. Didn't noe tat allergy can be tat serious, phew. So far my boy tried soy bean milk, full cream milk & whole egg. Still ok for him, so I guess I better watch wat he eat until he reach 2. :)

Like wat apollo has suggested, I will cook his fd in d steamboat 1st then d rest can start w their fd. :>