When did you start giving adult food? 10-12-months old able to feed themselves?

esta_837

As above, when did you start your toddler on adult food and stopped making baby food? I read the recommendation is 12 months, but I also heard some mums already giving their 10-12 month old the same food as they eat. I don't want my 10.5 month old to be eating foods with added salt in it like adults do, but on the other hand, I'm about to go nuts as I've been madly preparing a new batch of food for her every 2-3 days. Been doing this by myself for so long that I think I'm about to surrender to baby jar food. I've mainly been steaming.

Also, when did your bub start feeding themselves? Mine still doesn't know how to scoop up food using a spoon, but likes finger food that she can use her hands to pick up and put in her mouth, e.g. vegetable bits and toast. I still have to spoon-feed her main meal to make sure she has enough.

liz2010

Hi, you can start at about 1 year old, but put less salt for your baby. Even 10 months old, if your baby can it pieces of food and not pureed anymore. When you cook, keep the part for your baby aside and you only need to add the salt at the end of cooking for yourself. Then just use scissors to cut the food in small pieces. But your baby still needs to eat food that is cooked very softly.

As for self feeding, my daughter is 19 months. She can self feed with a spoon since she's about 15 months, but it takes time. So what I do, I give her a spoon and let her feed herself and I feed her in the same time. You can start doing it with your baby so she can get used to it.

diymummy

My son only start "table food" at 18 mths. Reason being his allergies, he has a lot of allergies. I also didn't like the idea of exposing him to salty food any earlier either. At first I have thought that I would do it when he turned 2. But the food in his PG class already started to contain some salt so I relented and gave table food after 18 mths.

As for preparing food, I prepare a lot - about 3 sets of baby cubes worth of vege in the fridge. Fish I replenish every week. So that eased up quite a bit when steaming up the food for him.

As for self-feeding, I do let my son try from time to time but he gets lazy so I still have to feed him. For him, finger feeding started early.. Spoon feeding I started letting him try around 18 mths as well.

apollo

ds is 16mth old, i have yet to add seasoning into his food. some mummies started at 1yo, but i'm still 'not prepared' to do so. but once in awhile will let him try 1-2 spoon of table food AFTER he finish his baby food.

as for self feeding, ds has just started. i will feed him at least half portion 1st then let him try to self feed the rest with my help. will hold his hand to help him.

Amulet

DD only start eating full time adult food after 20months old.. We let her try bits n pcs of adult food after she turned 12, but from 9-20months old, she is still mainly taking homecooked porridge or noodles specially cooked for her with very little seasoning..

as for self feeding with spoon, she only start after attending childcare at 20months.. she can finger feed at ard 8-9 months too..

meiteoh

I started Eva on table food since she turned 11-12 mths (she's now 14 mths old). When she is with us, I cook food that we all can eat or if we're out, we make sure that she gets something that she can eat too. If it's homecooked food, I don't add salt and I use very little oil. So far she has had kuey teow soup, pizza, french toast, chicken rice, steamed fish, etc. She can chew so no worries about eating not-too-soft foods like chicken and so forth.

Sometimes I'm not too sure people mean by adult food coz sometimes we eat food that is similar to hers like fruit purees (the French call them compotes), yogurt with fruit, etc. :p So for me, I never saw a difference between the two. In fact, my hubby always complain that her food is yummier than what I used to cook for him (before we had Eva) so I combine both. :)

She can self-feed with my help but it has a tendency to get very messy and ends up more as play rather than real feeding.

Last edited:

megtan

The other day I was at Ikea and feeding my son (8.5mth) home-made porridge and there was another couple next to our table with a 8 mth baby girl. Apparently, the parents were feeding her the Ikea food that they were eating. We started chatting and they said the girl doesn't have any adverse reactions and enjoy the food so just feed. I was quite shocked. They also gave her the bottled fruit juice sold there (supposedly real fruit juice), diluted with water.

I just wonder, does giving baby below 1 our adult food have any serious impact on the baby?

Amulet

The other day I was at Ikea and feeding my son (8.5mth) home-made porridge and there was another couple next to our table with a 8 month baby girl. Apparently, the parents were feeding her the Ikea food that they were eating. We started chatting and they said the girl doesn't have any adverse reactions and enjoy the food so just feed. I was quite shocked. They also gave her the bottled fruit juice sold there (supposedly real fruit juice), diluted with water.

I just wonder, does giving baby below 1 our adult food have any serious impact on the baby?
apart from those high risk food like egg white, strawberries, honey, peanuts, ect, the remaining normal adult food vs. specially cooked baby food is just like eating char kway teow with lard vs bee hoon soup with no MSG n lotsa vege.. u won't die immediately, but u will see the effect on the long run..

Last edited:

liz2010

The other day I was at Ikea and feeding my son (8.5mth) home-made porridge and there was another couple next to our table with a 8 month baby girl. Apparently, the parents were feeding her the Ikea food that they were eating. We started chatting and they said the girl doesn't have any adverse reactions and enjoy the food so just feed. I was quite shocked. They also gave her the bottled fruit juice sold there (supposedly real fruit juice), diluted with water.

I wouldn't give food from restaurants or food courts to a baby so young. Their organs are still immature and cannot digest things such as salt.

meiteoh

Re restaurant food, it depends on what is being served or given. I usually give Eva rice with steamed veg or lightly sauced foods (most of the time, I "wash" it). I will also buy fruits, bread, etc, and give them to her. The only thing she has from IKEA are peas (in the salad and without dressing), potato (without the brown sauce) from the meatball dish and chicken (minus the fried skin).

apollo

below 1yo, ds had NEVER tried any outside food. Cause i really cant accept my baby taking MSG food. Aft 1, he once in awhile will try some outside food but definitely not daily and not serve to him as a meal, only abit here and there. =)

usually when we go ikea, we will let him eat the potato (the ones which served with meatballs) w/o the sauce. and sometimes will order the fries for him.

Stan

below 1yo, dear son had NEVER tried any outside food. Cause i really cant accept my baby taking MSG food. after 1, he once in awhile will try some outside food but definitely not daily and not serve to him as a meal, only abit here and there. =)

usually when we go ikea, we will let him eat the potato (the ones which served with meatballs) w/o the sauce. and sometimes will order the fries for him.
DD is 1 now... she has yet to taste outside food too.... cos i cannot accept her taking msg, salt ,oil loaded food as well... :embarrassed:

esta_837

IThe problem is I'm worried I can't see how much my daughter is eating if I start giving table food - i.e. picking food from our dishes & giving to her, as it takes time to "pick" the food, cool it and make it into smaller pieces, etc. etc.... She's also been eating lesser and lesser solids now for some reason, even though I give her a lot of variety. Normally I'll give one small bowl of food in addition to a side with finger food (veggies she can pick up and eat), but she's just been eating only less than half the bowl (previously could nearly finish it). :( And it takes a really long time to feed her....like 1 hr.

Yes, worried too about the MSG in restaurant food, and the hygiene. But on the other hand, have to keep making separate food for daughter beforehand if we're going out....

duckiemom

hey diy mummy,
one side question; when do you buy the baby cubes from?
I got 2 sets from Daiso (those with lid) but the plastic are v thin.
Now i resort to normal ice cube tray w/o lids. quite troublesome
coz always muz out cling wrap over it.. pls advise, thanks!

diymummy

hey diy mummy,
I got 2 sets from Daiso (those with lid) but the plastic are very thin.
coz always must out cling wrap over it.. pls advise, thanks!
Hi duckiemom,

I bought my baby cubes from Singapore Motherhood Forum. It's around $13 (I can't remember exactly how much but it is around there) for a tray of 8 cubes. :)

megtan

hey diy mummy,
I got 2 sets from Daiso (those with lid) but the plastic are very thin.
coz always must out cling wrap over it.. pls advise, thanks!
I bought mine from Moms-RUs. 1 tray comes with 8 x 2oz cubes. The cubes have markings of 30ml, 45ml, 60ml and 70ml. They have a shop at United Square or you can also shop online Moms-RUs.com : affordable, trendy and chic maternity & nursing wear
Not cheap but I find them easier than normal ice cube tray.