When do we start to pump?

charllmy

Hello mummies,

Can anyone advise, when do we start to use the pump? Once baby is born, what should we do? Just let her latch on and drink? After she stops, do we need to pump? Or how many weeks later then we start to pump?

Thanks!!:001_302:

Edwinie

i kept latching on during the first few weeks. best way to increase supply. i only pump when my son do not like to latch on and i get too tired at around week 4-5. i personally will not recommend pumping too early. the first few days you will produce colostrum, just enough to fill your baby's stomach, which is as big as a 50 cents coin. and your baby's stomach is very small at the beginning. no point pumping too early, you won't get much milk.

just sharing my breastfeeding journey on my blog here. https://hippothoughts.wordpress.com/2011/01/23/my-breastfeeding-journey/

gumbokins

yup I read that you should start pumping about 1 mth post partum...coz you gotta establish the milk supply first by direct latching. With my #1, I started pumping quite early and was very frustrated with the lack of milk so I gv up expressing (still partial BF my girl till she was a year old, though, hee hee). Now with #2, I had no intention of expressing as I think it is such a hassle so I just direct latch. Still bfing 6 months on :)

Carlisle

Hello mummies,

Can anyone advise, when do we start to use the pump? Once baby is born, what should we do? Just let her latch on and drink? After she stops, do we need to pump? Or how many weeks later then we start to pump?

Thanks!!:001_302:
You can start the first day if you wan't. But breastfeeding works best not pumping..

Mummy to Baby V

Best to latch on exclusively for first 4-6 weeks. Stimulate supply and prevent nipple confusion. After feed, can pump 5-10 minutes for pure stimulation, without expecting any milk.
If engorged (oversupply for baby's appetite), can pump to relieve and store.

If working after maternity leave, then try pumping to store and let baby get used to bottle at about 6 weeks. Once a day, at least.
Reason: some babies may like breast so much and reject bottle, if introduced too late.
(Continue to latch on at other times to stimulate more supply, especially 3 months growth spurt, before going back to work.)