When to inform company

Stan

how come ur ex colleague worked for almost a yr and still not confirmed? seems like they pulled the same stunt with you! despicable!!!

Stan

Does she have family, my superior has 3 daughter and he is quite understanding about my situtation. He even comment that MS can be very bad at times.
Is your boss male or female?
My boss does not have kids... but also very understanding abt the pregnancy... already got a temp now to transit and to cover my work when i am away for my maternity...
Sometimes i wonder if women bosses are more harsh than men bosses when it comes to maternity leave?? maybe i over generalise...:tconfused:

Ashbaby

My boss does not have kids... but also very understanding about the pregnancy... already got a temp now to transit and to cover my work when i am away for my maternity...
Sometimes i wonder if women bosses are more harsh than men bosses when it comes to maternity leave?? maybe i over generalise...:tconfused:
My superior is a male, well guess they are more less emotional. I do experience very "emotional" female superior........

Triquetra

how come your ex colleague worked for almost a your and still not confirmed? seems like they pulled the same stunt with you! despicable!!!
Cause she's in the sales line and they keep extending her probation.
Thankfully her probatory status doesn't affect her rights under the Employment Act.

Does she have family, my superior has 3 daughter and he is quite understanding about my situtation. He even comment that MS can be very bad at times.

my boss is single.. not married, no kids..
she lives by herself...

anyway, i just feel that she's a fake person...

shiseru

As much as possible, I avoid working with local companies, local bosses, especially old single female superior. They sux :/

hueychye79

Actually I think male boss is better than female boss.

Before I been retrench, I have a very good boss with 2 kids and his is a very understand boss. :tlaugh:

Very understand and sometimes share with me the pregnant situation of his wife. :001_302:

sufeit0115

So far my male boss is quite understanding on my pregnancy, however, a female colleague who used to be my superior does comment that i shouldn't give birth at end of the year which normally is the busiest period of finance....giving such an insensitive comment, they think conceiving a baby is like making a cake within your control?

Btw, the one who commented this to me is unmarried & single who always work very late in office even weekend also bring work back to do at home.....She even looked at me in a disbelieving manner (like i am wasting company's $$) when i told her my boss get a temp to replace me when i go for maternity leave....

Think we shouldn't care too much about what others' commented during our pregnancy & we must be strong to endure whatever criticism/discrimination we encounter in our work life.

Stan

So far my male boss is quite understanding on my pregnancy, however, a female colleague who used to be my superior does comment that i shouldn't give birth at end of the year which normally is the busiest period of finance....giving such an insensitive comment, they think conceiving a baby is like making a cake within your control?

Btw, the one who commented this to me is unmarried & single who always work very late in office even weekend also bring work back to do at home.....She even looked at me in a disbelieving manner (like i am wasting company's $$) when i told her my boss get a temp to replace me when i go for maternity leave....

Think we shouldn't care too much about what others' commented during our pregnancy & we must be strong to endure whatever criticism/discrimination we encounter in our work life.
Sad to say, i get similar remarks from our own female species too...
Guys it seems more bo chup.... their mentality is "well, if too much work cannot finish, so be it... ".
But i got remarks from female colleagues also on "how?? your end so busy.. then go on materity... like that we also cannot take leave during your leave?"
or " wah... why never plan timing properly ?"...
I heck care..

mrsmorgan

hey everyone, i've been worrying a lot abt this issue lately cuz i just started work on july 31st and i think i might be pregnant.. though i can only test in a week's time. but if i'm really pregnant n i inform my boss, he can still terminate me n there's nothing i can do abt it can i??

Ashbaby

Sad to say, i get similar remarks from our own female species too...
Guys it seems more bo chup.... their mentality is "well, if too much work cannot finish, so be it... ".
But i got remarks from female colleagues also on "how?? your end so busy.. then go on materity... like that we also cannot take leave during your leave?"
or " wah... why never plan timing properly ?"...
I heck care..

I get cold reaction from a mother of 4!!!! Anyway just heck care loh. Work is only work, dont tk it too personally. Just think of BB and the family make me so happy at times.

Triquetra

hey everyone, i've been worrying a lot about this issue lately cuz i just started work on july 31st and i think i might be pregnant.. though i can only test in a week's time. but if i'm really pregnant and i inform my boss, he can still terminate me and there's nothing i can do about it can i??
I think they can still terminate you without any compensation if you are before your last 6 months of pregnancy.

Stan

I get cold reaction from a mother of 4!!!! Anyway just heck care loh. Work is only work, dont tk it too personally. Just think of baby and the family make me so happy at times.
So weird right??! only she can have kids?.....arghh..:nah:
Never read newpapers meh: Young, educated women are not hving enough children!!!!!!!!

Ashbaby

So weird right??! only she can have kids?.....arghh..:nah:
Never read newpapers meh: Young, educated women are not hving enough children!!!!!!!!

Well, sometimes have to accept the cruel reality - discrimination.......

temari

I just informed my superior at about 8 weeks plus. Totally unexpected that he was fine and congratz me. I told him so early becos of my MS, sometimes I come in rather late becos I have to get out of train to puke, and he is quite understanding about it.
i also just told my boss, this week 8 weeks. cos i have to tell him know why i have taken so many mc and leave lately.i also explain to him that i need to visit gynae every 2 weekly. and late for work due to have to come out of train to vomit also. so at least he wnt think why i keep take mc for what.this month i have late more than 15mins a mth, hr will sure email ask. my husband ask me to ask hr can let me start 30mins late for work or not due to i am having bad MS. i dont think my hr is so good so have not email to ask yet.and my boss also nv say anything after i have told him. can see he is unhappy i keep taking mc. he also nv agree can allow me to come late due to this too.my husband friend,her hr allow her to come late 30mins and leave work 1hr before. but count as temp work for that few months.i dont know shd i request for that too.my pay is alr miserable now.if temp will be worst.

cocraze

i also just told my boss, this week 8 weeks. cos i have to tell him know why i have taken so many mc and leave lately.i also explain to him that i need to visit gynae every 2 weekly. and late for work due to have to come out of train to vomit also. so at least he wnt think why i keep take mc for what.this month i have late more than 15mins a month, hr will sure email ask. my husband ask me to ask hr can let me start 30mins late for work or not due to i am having bad MS. i dont think my hr is so good so have not email to ask yet.and my boss also never say anything after i have told him. can see he is unhappy i keep taking mc. he also never agree can allow me to come late due to this too.my husband friend,her hr allow her to come late 30mins and leave work 1hr before. but count as temp work for that few months.i dont know should i request for that too.my pay is already miserable now.if temp will be worst.
Hi Temari, I think you should get a clear signal from your boss first before approaching HR. Afterall, HR is usually less likely to turn down your request if your immediate supervisor/boss is supportive. And if boss is understanding, and your nature of work allows, he may just 'shut one eye' if you come in late, but put in the same number of hours of work/effort anyway. Then no issue of bringing HR into the picture. This is what I personally think, anyway.

As for whether your requests may trigger a change of employment from full-time(??) to temp work, it depends on the nature of your work and company HR policy. Based on what little you have described, it doesn't sound fair to me. It sounds more like a well-disguised cost-cutting measure. Better beware also that the temp nature of work will not affect your maternity leave benefits eligibility (whether from company or from govt).

rubberseed

My boss does not have kids... but also very understanding about the pregnancy... already got a temp now to transit and to cover my work when i am away for my maternity...
I just told my supervisor, female, 40+, unmarried. Her first reaction was, "will you be taking extended leave after your birth". After I reassured that if it was a normal pregnancy and birth, I would continue working. She said, "Good" then went on to talk about deployment issues.

The good thing is that I have been with my current supervisor for many years, and I was prepared for her response (i.e. very work focused). But a "congratulations" - no matter how insincere it is, would have been nice.

Concerning when to inform, I feel it depends on the nature of your work. I told mine 8 weeks since I have some projects due for next year June which I need to request for additional manpower as soon as possible.

fuiling6

I told my manager at week 5-6.... Just joined company in mid July, although pass probation le, but haven't receive confirmation letter. Wanted to wait until I got the letter or at least 12th week, but cannot coz always on MC due to see gynae and I have very bad morning sickness that I am late to work always.

At first I was worried coz my manager also single, luckily she is very very supportive, now even allow me to change my working hour to cater for my morning sickness. Also chase me go home earlier to rest whenever the workload is ok.. ha ha...

I am so glad now... now I make sure my performance is not be affected by my pregnancy, if not paiseh coz company so supportive.

Pinklady

i am also 8 wks preggy and i am also wondering when is a good time to start telling my HR. but 2 weeks ago, i took 10 days hospitalisation leave. when HR called and asked me, i just said 'Woman's problem'. should i tell them now or wait tell 12 wks then say? hmm

glam-mom

I think I'm almost the same as one of the mummy here.. I just joined the company in Sept. Waiting for my probation to be over in Dec thn they decide to confirm me.

Didn't expect to have a baby so soon. Just found out that I'm 8 weeks pregnant ard last week.

I'm terrified to hear or see the reaction from my boss when they know I'm pregnant..